1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap & Field

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tanda1, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Given all the interest in up up the minute(well, almost)reports on scores at the Grand via RJ Stewart, is it about time for the ATA to replace Trap & Field as the medium for listing registered shoot scores with an online source?

I'm aware that some clubs post the results on the find-a-shoot section of the ATA site but the percentage is so small. It is a surprise when I actually find one.

An inactive tab is there on the ATA site. It can't take more effort to post there than to format for a magazine. All this info should be available on the internet.

Charge for it if they really feel the need....but why should we have to wait a month or two after the shoot to read it in a magazine.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Trap & Field is our official publication but it is an independently owned for profit business (Curtis Publications). The magazine contains much more than shoot reports. Clubs send shoot reports directly to Trap & Field. The ATA does not format anything for Trap & Field.

Pat Ireland

3. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Ahhhh....makes sense. Kinda, maybe. So, are you saying that the use of Trap & Field as our official publication(a separate for profit enterprise) precludes the availability of online shoot results? Does it just mean that Curtis Publications controls the access to the shoot results?

That might explain the inactive "results" tab on ATA site.

If the ATA can send shoot results to Curtis, why can't they be made available on our website?

Is this a member services issue? Or perhaps a revenue stream protection issue....for someone?

4. bas

bas Member

The only way you will see "shoot results" on the ATA web site is if a club sends them in to them. As Pat said, the ATA does not compile shoot results...all they do is record the shooters scores. Also, as Pat said, the clubs send their shoot results directly to T&F for compilation...not to the ATA.

5. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

The internet has run over the magazine business. Newsweek just sold for one $ plus the buyer assumed $35 million debt.

A good website - maybe TS.com - could sell ads and membership to the site and be very successful. If I was still in the entrepreneur business I would put these two organizations together and collect a modest fee.

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

tanda1 you might want to go to the above wed address and see if any of that information is of any help.

I am not exactly sure what results you are referring to and I don't seem to find this "find-a-shoot"

At any rate there is some information that might help you understand the score reporting a little better.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap&field magazine forums