1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap&Field subscribers survey

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by michmoe, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

At our Five Man Team shoot held at the Michigan Trapshooters Homegrounds I had the opportunity to ask Terry Heeg what had happened to the Trap & Field magazine?The September issue was only 98 pages and 36 of that was advertisement.They also count the cover as a page and they (Trap & Field) no longer honor the state champions by having their names,the name of their hometown,and score they won the event championship with in the special box.I can recall when everyone that shot the Grand had their score posted and it was shown just as each sub event was shot.This was at a time when there were many more entrys then what the Grand receives today.Then it was reduced to just the high scorers where listed.Which was ok because even if you didnt win an event it was nice just to see your name and look at the othe people you know that shot as well or with any luck you were able to beat.Presently the pictures of winners are smaller and there was no Pkil Kiner article.Her response was that they were trying to reduce copy.I'm supposing that their expenses are going up and this was what they felt they needed to do.My response was that I would be willing to pay an additional five or ten bucks more a year just to get the same quality magazine I used to receive.I was told that I'm probably one in a thousand that feels this way.So my question is, do you feel the quality of the magazine is going south and would you be willing to pay more to regain more "copy".Thanks to all that respond....Hugo "Moe" Rinke

2. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Moe, I agree somewhat with you. Ive noticed the issues are more advetisments lately. Didint know why just assumed because the shooting year is getting slow. I myself wouldnt pay more to get what we used to get for the same money. Just my two cents.
    Chris

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Oh great... let's bash more ATA stuff.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Oh great... let's bash more ATA stuff."</I></blockquote>

Trap & Field isn't ATA. It's independent.

I have little interest in the ATA so I have about the same interest in the magazine. When it became as useless to me as an annual book full of other people's yearly target averages, I stopped subscribing to it; you can do the same thing if it doesn't suit you.

MK

5. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

One way to decrease readership is to do as they are doing. Michmoe has a point. T&F is/was the means by where us normal folks had the opportunity to see our name in print doing what we enjoy. Just one of those small trinkets we compete for. Not ATA bashing just the way it is. If a small increase in subscription price were necessary to retain previous quality in a ever increasing economy then so be it. Jake

Roger C thanked this.
  6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Many people and businesses are under a financial strain and must figure out ways to conserve resources. Trap and Field could be in this group. Trap and Field is an independent business and is not sponsored by the ATA. It has been designated as the official ATA publication for ATA news. I have always thought that a subscription to T&F would make excellent trophies for a shoot.

I care little about seeing my name in T&F, but I do like to see how my friends did at different shoots.

Pat Ireland

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Being a minor league player in the publishing business, I have learned that there is a cost per page to produce a magazine and if a periodical doesn't adhere to its cost per page formula, it will be out of business sooner or later.

T&F isn't the only magazine feeling the pinch of slower advertising income. Just yesterday, I received an offer from Hot Rod Magazine, a monthly to which I haven't subscribed in a LONG time. I was able to buy a three-year subsciption AND get a wall clock as a gift for $20. I signed my son up for it.

Just because the percentage of ad pages is higher doesn't mean T&F's cost per page is lower. It is quite possible that it is selling ad space at reduced rates right now to encourage established advertisers to continue on, so the income per ad page might be lower than it used to be.

There aren't many industries that are immune to the effects of our current economic situation. Hopefully, that too will pass.

Ed

Roger C thanked this.
  8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

We need to bring back Betty Ann Foxworthy.

9. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

T&F provides a great service to the ATA and it's shooters.As a former newspaper editor, I understand about publishing costs. They are constantly on the rise, not to mention the increases in postage, all out of anyone's control. Yes, I would pay more to continue to get T&F.

Roger C thanked this.
  10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Me too Karla. Me too.

Roger C thanked this.
  11. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I like it and would pay.

Guy Babin

Roger C thanked this.
  12. wm rike

wm rike Member

I think they (T&F) do a good job with what they have to work with - hey, it's a bunch of trapshooters, how much can you say? I understand that there are some out there that just feel they don't need it, and others like something to puruse once a month. That's okay; it will always be that way. But the magazine is what, twenty bucks? That's not a deal breaker. If the magazine is getting thin and the perception on both sides of the postman is that it is getting diluted, I don't feel there would be a lot of squak if the price were bumped to the $22-25 range.

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I would paymore but it is going south. Phil Kiners report was not in the last issue.

Is it the problem of the gun clubs not supplying pictures and info on a timely manner?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I'd pay more too.

15. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Karla just a quick question. If you had the option of paying the postage on the average book or a CD with the same information on it would you look into offering the subscribers a choice as an option???

Trap and field doesn't want to even hear about it as an option. To me the postage might be the same but the publishing costs should be cheaper for a CD.

Bob Lawless

16. RLC323

RLC323 Member

You would think with competition from the newer magazine Trapshooting USA that Trap and Field would be trying to make their magazine better. Seems not to be the case. Compare the T&F state shoot reports from the past couple issues to those of three or four years ago and the most recent reports are a bit slim. State shoot coverage is huge to subscribers of T&F and this years coverage was very thin. Even the smallest states deserve a couple pages to tell the story of the shoot.

Less coverage and less good material will result in fewer subscribers. Shotgun Sports has found that out since Frank Kodl left.

T&F depends on the loyalty of trapshooters and trapshooting advertisers, there are no newstand sales. Frankly if the quality is down, coverage is down, subscriptions will follow down. Most trapshooters who currently subscribe would be glad to pay more for better coverage, but not more for what it has now become.

17. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

After thinking long and hard I renewed mine today. It was $29.00

Charlie.

Roger C thanked this.
  18. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I will not be renewing next time. The coverage has gone south - half the time they don't include what I send them from my club's shoots. Don't tell me it is because it is not received on time, because I email the results to them in MS Word format the same evening the shoot is concluded. Oh, I forgot, this last shoot the email bounced and never got delivered. Maybe they forgot to pay their internet provider.

19. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I stopped subscribing when they stopped doing gun tests.
    I could care less about scores. Give me information that
    will make me a better trap shooter.

20. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Let's just charge $50 for ATA membership and give them the Mag. Let the bitching begin.

Hell YES I would pay more. I don't even read Kiner.

Every shoot I have ever been to has been in the Mag. someplace. Pocatello maybe they just don't like you and your attitude. I find it interesting that they only ignore you or don't get only your info.

Don

Roger C thanked this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.