1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Field Lights

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SMSGT, Jun 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMSGT

SMSGT TS Member

Our club needs to replace our trap field lights. I was wondering if anyone had done this lately. I am interested in what kind of lights you used, approximate cost, source of lights or someone to give us an estimate. We need lights for one field. Any information or help would be appreciated. Thanks, Leroy

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

If your budget can take the hit, Musco is the way to go. We've (Markham Trap Club)got six fields under Musco lights with 10 fixtures per field in a 3-4-3 setup. It's like shooting in a major league ball park.

Eric

3. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

Check out rangeinfo.org. Musco are good lights, but I have been waiting for a sales rep to call me back or e-mail me for a week!!! about plans and estimates for a new club.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I never heard back from Musco rep, seems 1 field no interest?

5. missemucho

missemucho Member

Contact Whiz White;
    He can help with lights. I wasted a lot of his time a year or so ago. He had the right setup but my BOD went another (cheaper) way. Whiz can get you exactly what you need.
    John

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

We've had this topic pop up from time-to-time and I am happy to provide you with some information. My partner and I had spent a great deal of time in researching the available lighting out there. In fact, one of our local wholesale electrical supplier's general manager now shoots on my league team He is a graduate electrical engineer assisted us in this project, as well as another electrical engineer and a couple of electricians... we wanted some unbiased assistance. We went with the integral ballast models.

To be certain, my partner, Mark, and I install at no charge one of these lighting assemblies at my club that I help found. At that time we used 4 quarts lights per pole. We have a pole on the left and right of each 27 yard line, posts 1 and 5 respectively. The poles are a way back.

To our surprise, the light not only lit up the entire trap field for night shooting, but it lit up the adjacent field enough to permit shooting there as well. We, the club, decided to install one light per pole and remove the quarts. It not only made night shooting TREMENDOUSLY successful, these lights lowered our electrical bill considerably. The BOD unanimously voted to go for all lights.

Here's what we used: We have sold these at our cost to other clubs, but Hubbell has a protected territory, so we cannot sell to other served territories. We suggest that you get an electrical contractor who hopefully shoots at your club to get these for you wholesale. We also suggest you run these on 220, but they do run on 110.

We also suggest that, depending upon your poles' heights, mount them nearly horizontal on the high cross-members. We started out at 10º downward deflection, but ultimately set them to almost 0º with the horizontal. Our poles are standard height telephone poles-not sure what that height is/was, but someone here will know. Also, MAKE SURE when you order them to order them WITH 1500W BULBS. We've had some problems with the counter guy at the wholesaler forgetting to specify w/ bulbs, and it gets stupid to pay about twice for the bulbs separately.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you have additional concerns/questions, certainly feel free to email me at the above address, or call at the number listed in the above link.

Whiz White<BR>
    S&W Supply Co.

7. raceman90

raceman90 TS Member

Where are you located ? If you are anywhere near me i would be happy to give you an estimate. I have done trap fields,baseball fields,football fields and so on.

I use fixtures very similar to the ones above, I buy alot of my fixtures from Musco lighting but they do no installation.

E-mail me or let me know how to contact you.

Oh yeah i am located in Northeast Iowa

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Thanks, "ctreay" regarding positioning. I should have said something about that.

One nice little added, but costly, feature of these light we found is that during certain times of the year we will get millions of moth-millers. Nothing more crazy that a bunch of grown men sitting and shooting them.

It had not been uncommon for me to buy or burn up a flat of new shells while sitting in a lounge chair with a bunch of guys and shoot these buggers. I know it sounds stupid, but boy can you pull-ball some of the bigger ones.

On other occasions we'll get bats. Now, talk about trying to hit a bat in the lights sitting on about the 30 yard line, and one flying out near the 40 yard stake... that is a helluva feat. I have only succeeded once and I believe it is because so many guys shot, the bat was confused and dodged their shot right into mine.

It is probably better to let these guys live as they eat of tons of their body weight in insects.

Whiz

9. SMSGT

SMSGT TS Member

Thanks for the input. I will take the info to our club meeting. We are located in east central Iowa not far from Cedar Rapids. My email address is listed above (remove the xx). We will accept any & all ideas. Thanks again Leroy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to light up a trap feild
minneapolis trap shooting lights
olypic trap shooting range lighting
trap field lights

trap range lighting

trap shooting night lights
used musco lights for sale
where can i sell used musco lighting