1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Doubles

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lumper, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ok ... time for ya'll to step up and tell how its supposed to be done.

Yeah I know, shoot the straight away first and then swing over to the other bird but ...

Do ya play the ambush on the straight away knowing exactly where it is going to be and then BLAMMY BLAST it and swing to the other?

Do ya treat it like a regular straight away and just shoot it fast and then swing to the other bird?

When you swing to the other bird do you swing straight across and then up to it and BLAMMY BLAST it as well or do you kind of swing back down to the house and then up into it in a fish hook style of shooting before you BLAMMY BLAST it out of existence?

I'm thinking of giving this double stuff a whirl in a couple of weeks but I aint never shot it before and I needs the experts advice so I dont look all newbified out there.

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Best ask for their ATA # and averages before taking advice.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Old bait Lumper don't think you'll get too many hits.

Besides how is it you know everything about everything and just now are implying that you haven't shot doubles? Here is a tip for you though, keep your mouth open and you will probably get a dead pair with just one shot.

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Sean Hawley always shoots the right bird first.

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

JBrooks ... I wonder why?

Seriously ... would it not be actually be easiest to shoot the harder bird first and then swing back to the straight away?

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Beats me. Last I heard he was 900 straight in registered doubles this year.

7. lumper

lumper TS Member

I dont know ... I've seen doubles shot a couple of times but ... I think I'm just going to have to shoot them and find out. They look addicting ...

8. canada

canada Member

lumper, if this is actually a legitimate question... i say shoot the straight away first, and whatever you are more comfortable with on post 3. shooting like hawley does works for him, but he's one of the few big names that have ever shot that way.

shoot the first bird as fast as you can while still maintaining a smooth move to the target. if you try to shoot it too fast you'll make a jerky move to the first one which leads to a jerky move to the second one. be smooth to the first one, then move over and be smooth to the second one. slow your gun movement when you get to the second one and actually have a look at it. the faster you swing through the target the more precise your timing has to be. might work sometimes, but not near as well as moving smoothly to it. also, dont swing down to the house. i dont have much of an explanation why.

pat lamont

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

So ... shoot the easy bird first ... but shoot it fast ... then swing straight across (do not fish hook down, across & up) and up to the bird and BLAMMY ... sounds logical and such ... dang ... I've got to give it a try.

10. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Lumper my man you truely do have a way with words. I would try to help you out
    but my doubles stink to say the least. LoL, Bill

11. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

Lumper,
    I know that you are in VA. Fredericksburg just installed 2 SuperStar machines.

Give me a shout. You can shoot with me. I'm trying to figure this game out also.

I want to shoot the right bird first.....

Mark

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Trap the first bird, shoot the first bird with your left eye and shoot the second bird with your right eye.(right handed shooters) First bird skt. choke and 7/8 oz of shot and second bird IM choke and 1 1/8 oz of shot. Pull Bang Bang, that's it end of story. HMB

13. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Look in last month's Trap & Field...Frank Hoppe had 2 articles on shooting doubles...Last months was the second article, and the prior months had the 1st. Frank has got it right. Doubles is a blast.

Rob M.

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

Mark ... I just might have to take you up on that offer especially if you can get Jeff out there for some physical therapy. I just wish FRGC had a bunker as well cause if they did I would say dang the initiation fee and the dues and I would try to be a member there faster than the automatic gate could close to keep me out.

Just maybe might have to ... heck ... next thing is your going to be telling me that with Saturday supposedly going to be in the 50's that your going to be shooting either skeet or trap already.

15. lumper

lumper TS Member

Jerry ... it honestly sounds like there is no actual set way that you must shoot them so if it works it works. It looks like I am going to have to give doubles a serious try and figure out which way works best for myself.

16. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Love doubles, I not really good at it, but it is fun. What helps me is to shoot post 5. That way you get to see 4 pair thrown before it is your turn to shoot.

Bring lots of money and ammo, you go through it twice as fast.

Mike

17. lumper

lumper TS Member

Mike ... try bunker trap, you can go threw ammo even faster ... ya know on second thought now that we are talking ammo ... I wonder if there is some trap/skeet sport that can be shot with my Dennis the Menace slingshot, rocks are still free and if you want to use premium rocks from the nursery they are about $10 for 50lbs which is far far cheaper than shot is.

18. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I shot next to this kid at the Dixie his name was Ninnie or something like that and I watched him Break a 97. After it was done he turned to me and said if I kept practicing I would get good at it . I smiled and thought how good was he. As I watched him it looked like he was breaking the straight away bird at almost the same height from every station every time and then just went after the second bird at almost the same plane. It was very fast Boom Boom and they were smoked gone. It seemed to me that might be the the starting point to try to break the first bird at a certain point and then go after the second. I didn't break 80 so watching was about it for me..

Martin 0765881

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I used to know how to shoot Doubles but then I got old. My advice is is useful as my age is an asset!!

20. setter

setter Member

widomaker,
    That may well have been Zach Nannini from CA. A nice young person and a good shooter. Shoots a Lutic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.