1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap doubles with a semi?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by A Sparks, Jun 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Sparks

A Sparks Member

My grand plan of shooting the VT state shoot had deteriorated into just getting there on Sunday for Doubles....my first registered trap target....ever.

Is spraying the shooters to my right with empty hulls acceptable in doubles? I had special ordered a shell catcher for singles [that I won't get to shoot]but how unpopular will I be shooting a semi in doubles?

With a 17" LOP borrowing a gun isn't an option.

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

The rulebook generally states it is unacceptable.

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Put a rubber band on it and go to the practice trap and see where they go.

Don

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Go ahead and go. Roll the dice. The whole damn sport is a crapshoot most days anyway. Tune out the grousing on your right, and just keep banging away.

5. A Sparks

A Sparks Member

"....are you certain that your empties go to the right"

Unless I have a rare bottom eject SX 1. ;)

6. crackshot

crackshot Member

My 1100 throws them forward and down which is not a problem for the guy to your right. There is a point in the barrel chamber that causes the shell to do this...Dave

7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I buy off the guy to my right with the promise of beer after the shoot is over. Of course we ride together to the shoot, so I know it does not bother him. Or at least thats what he says.

8. oletymer

oletymer Member

Contact Tron, he does shell deflectors on Berettas he may do other autos. Here is the link to his site.
    http://tronspace.com/default.aspx

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Field autos typically have vigorous ejection.

I do not pay and am not eager to stand beside someone with such a gun and be pelted by brass. At today's ammo, fuel and target prices, it is simply unacceptable, and does violate ATA rules, if your firearm's ejection of empties affects other shooters. Getting hit about the head and shoulders while trying to protect an expensive tournament arm is not condusive to good scores.

A trap barrel can be obtained with a deflector, or a deflector can be installed in a field barrel by a gunsmith.

10. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Check out the vendors at the shoot. There may be a smith there that can install a deflector in the barrel while you wait. Worth a shot, anyway.

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Read the man's post. He is only getting there and having a chance to shoot doubles. God you want him to get his gun worked on, sent away to get worked on and other BS. With all your negativity I would be surprised if he shows up at.

Ask around and you will find somebody that will shoot with you, again use a rubber band, explain your newness and dilemma and see if they will leave the next post open. Don't be discouaged and have fun at your first ATA shoot. If I was closer I would shoot next to you.

If you like it then you can get a deflector put on your auto.

The way you guys talk you are going to throw out half the kids who shoot autos in the SCTP program.

Don

12. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I have shot the doubles championships at the Iowa state shoot the last couple years with my 1100 and didn't know I was breaking any ATA rules.

13. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Four things to try:

1) try to get on a squad with four or less shooters, and make sure there is no one on your right. It is unlikely, though possible, for all doubles squads to be full.

2) try to find other semi shooters, and get squaded together. Arrive early, and have them put you on a squad marked "semis only." (Might accomodate, might not, all you can do is ask!) Then, if or when the person to your left is pelting you with hulls, you can see if it's really an issue. Most of the hulls will fall at your feet.

3) find a short squad, and ask the other shooters if anyone minds if you shoot a semi. Out of four shooters, there's most likely one who won't mind at all. I've mentioned this issue to other shooters, and haven't had anyone say they thought semi-shooters were low-class, low-life jerks who shouldn't be allowed to shoot.

4) try the rubber band. It can only go in a small slot in front of the cocking handle on the bolt. Have someone stand to your left and see where the hulls land.

Let us know how you get along.

Danny

14. Ben Eitle

Ben Eitle TS Member

I'm only 15 yrs old and I was going to try doubles for the first time at the Ohio state shoot with a borrowed beretta 391 . I totally agree wit BIGDON give the guy a chance he only wanted to know if it was acceptable to shoot a semi with doubles not where and how to get his gun changed. He just wants to try it and see if he likes it.

Ben

15. BullDogUSMC

BullDogUSMC TS Member

Please don't ding my custom stock with your flying shell. Or my rib for that matter.

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Don

I, and many others, are simply suggesting the shooter have his gear set up so it will not interfere with other shooters.

I do not enjoy getting pelted with brass from another shooter, regardless of who they are.

If the shooter is going to shoot dubs with a field gun, shoot a round with a couple of spaces open to their right and see how the gun ejects empties.

Last Saturday, I was repeatedly hit in the head with brass from a shooter two stations to my left. I was very glad to be on Station One for a minute!

I finished the round without comment, but we old heads then alternated shooting so as to not be on the field with him. Our not wanting to be hit in the head and on our guns is not being rude.

Asking folks to be considerate of others is not something I would apologize for.

BTW, during SCTP matches, the kids must follow ATA rules. They typically do not have guns that sling brass into other shooters.

17. Juno

Juno TS Member

I always love these doubles with autos threads! They crack me up!!<br>
    [​IMG]

18. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

BTW as I said you would eliminate half the kids shooting 391's with composite stocks. From my observations you would.

Read rule IV,I,15 -open to interpetition of "substantially"

Yes you should have something to deflect but give the newbie a break.

Don

19. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

If someone were to try the rubberband trick, how would you know where to put it? No smart comments now. LOL I have a shell deflector for all my auto's for singles but not for doubles. If someone would, please post a diaghram Jackie B.

20. missed some

missed some TS Member

go, shoot and have fun, F**^K the guy on the right, if he is that big of an a** then he should have saved a whole squad. I shot an auto for a time and had NO complaints. I asked guys why and the one that said it best said, why would it bother me, I am not shooting while you are, and as far as getting a gun beat up by brass?? give me a break, I shoot perrazzi and seitz and have never been offended when an auto is on my left or right, and I have had brass bounce off of it in the wind but can find no damage. mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.