1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Doubles - One-eyed shooter needs advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluedsteel, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I would be most grateful for any advice on this. I have been shooting in registered trap events for about two years. I am AA in singles, and doing pretty good in handicap, but not great. I recently started shooting registered doubles. For doubles, I started with a Browning XT (32") but have shifted to a Remington 1100 field model with a 28" barrel, choked modified. The 1100 seems easier to move from target to target, and it points well for me. I am a one-eyed left-eye dominant left-handed shooter (lucky me). I use a flip-down blinder over my right eye, as I have some cross dominance issues.

My question is this: Where should my hold point be for doubles?

If I hold high, as most recommend, I can't see the first bird until it pops out from under my barrel, so my shot is late and frantic. If I hold low, I have to follow the bird up, which takes a bit of time for that first critical shot.

I am struggling, especially on posts 4 and 5 on the second (right hand) bird. Any advice from you doubles pros would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

SJS

2. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I'm definitely not a doubles pro, but I would suggest that you hold just slightly to the side of the path of the first bird. That way, your gun barrel won't block your vision of the bird coming out.

Easystreet

3. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Just as Nora Ross says..."hold your gun where the bird comes out" on doubles. Always low gun. I can't shoot doubles either as I'm left eye dominant right hand shooter. My best scores have been when I keep thinking of getting on the second bird as fast as I can.. don't wait to see the first one break. However, doubles is the most fun. For more advise.... seek one eyed shooters not two eyed shooters.Good luck.

4. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

Why does everybody have to bash the automatics...

I shoot one eye single-handicap and Doubles with a Remington 1100, 30 inch full choke and 1 ounce of eights for BOTH shots of double and my singles, 2 3/4, 1 1/8 ounce of 7 1/2s from the 27. I have over a 96 average on doubles and have several years.

But if you want to waste the extra thousands of dollars to get a P gun or a K gun go ahead. the Auto will work just fine.

Dennis Whitlock

5. John55

John55 Active Member

1st thing I'd do is buy and install a sight blocker on the rib of my gun. This will allow you to shoot with both eyes open, which is going to help your scores more than anything else. I'm cross dominant too and shot one eye closed for years until I tried one of these...best money I ever spent on shooting gear.

6. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I very much appreciate the replies and the PM I received regarding hold points. I shoot my 32" XT pretty well on caps and singles, but it is just a bit slow-moving for me right now for doubles. When I changed to the 1100 on doubles, I broke an additional 10-15 birds, and it just feels easier. When I get the technique down, I will probably go back to the O/U...maybe.

By the way, one of the best shooters here in NC uses an older 1100 for everything, and he is a joy to watch...smooth, calm, in control, and deadly.

I have tried the rib mounted sight blocker, it didn't work for me...my right eye kept acquiring the clay even though it couldn't see the bead.

I have tried to go back to two-eyed shooting, but the result was disastrous. Besides, I know of some mighty fine one-eyed shooters. I am just not one of them.

I have tried the technique of holding off to the side a bit to see the first bird exit the house. This helps some, but I still really struggle on that second bird.

I am also beginning to wonder if I am losing some of my mount after the first shot...that is, the gun is coming out of or moving in my shoulder pocket.

I'll hang in there. Thanks again.

Jef

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

SJS- I am a one eyed shooter. My hold points are: singles and doubles-front edge of roof, handicap- back edge of the roof. This may or may not work for you. It sometimes works well for me and other times nothing works well for me.

Pat Ireland

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Did you ever try trapping the first bird? Hold a level gun on the flight line of the first bird (straight away bird), look under the gun and watch the bird come out of the house. Don't move the gun, when the bird gets half way to the gun pull the trigger and move to the second bird. HMB

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

bluedsteel

"I am struggling, especially on posts 4 and 5 on the second (right hand) bird. Any advice from you doubles pros would be much appreciated."

I don't know if I am reading this correctly or not. I am a right hand shooter and I what is called a conventional style. I shoot the second(right hand)bird on 4 and 5. It would seem to me that a left handed shooter should be shooting the left hand bird on 4 and 5 first not last. JMO

Bob Lawless

10. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

hmb;

I haven't tried trapping the bird...sounds challenging...it would seem like it would require one to move one's head before the shot...but maybe not.

Bob;

On posts four and five, I shoot the straightaway (left) bird first. I have shot the right bird first on these two posts (which no one recommends because it requires the gun to be moved right then back to the left). Quite honestly, my scores were about the same. In fact, shooting the straighaway bird second was a bit easier. But I don't think this will work out in the long run.

Thanks.

Jef

11. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Pat;

You mentioned your hold point is the front edge of the traphouse roof. This would seem to require you to track the first bird upward a bit, shoot it, then move to the second bird. Are you able to get to the second bird before it starts its descent? When I hold on the roof (which is where I normally hold for singles and caps), I rarely get to the second bird before it has started its descent. Maybe I just need more practice to pick up speed...

Thanks.

Jef

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

bluedsteel, if you ever want to be an effective doubles shooter, DON"T TRY TO TRAP THE FIRST BIRD. I've always been a one eyed shooter and hold about 1 foot over the house just to the outside of the flight path of the first bird.

13. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

With your patch you are not like the normal one eye shooter. They can still use their right eye to pick up the right hand bird. You cannot simply shift your eyes to the right bird after shooting the left bird. The patch blocks your right eye and your nose blocks your left eye. You are therefore forced to begin your move to the right bird before you can see it if you remain on the gun. This causes numerous problems which your subconscious mind will solve by jumping at the target, lifting your head or some other disastrous action. You cannot smoothly move your gun to a target unless you see it first. This is why you must hold your gun steady on singles until you clearly see the target. The only solutions you have are to either loose the patch or shoot the right bird first on all stations. If you shoot right bird first you can easily shift your left eye to the remaining target and then make a smooth move to it and break it. I know this because I have very limited vision in my right eye so I shoot right bird first on all stations. My current doubles average is 92+ which ain't too bad for an old blind guy. I couldn't do nearly this well shooting them in the normal order.

jim brown

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jef- With my low gun hold I have no trouble getting to the second bird. Today I even slowed down on shooting the first bird but I still had great difficulties. I missed 7 first birds and 2 second birds. I am not real happy with my doubles right now. I got to remember to pay more attention to the first bird.

Pat Ireland

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Great advice pheasantmaster, now I understand why I'm struggling with a 96 doubles average. I will have to stop trapping that first bird. HMB

16. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Thank you all for some very helpful advice. I have also received some very thoughtful PM's...one from a nationally ranked celebrity-level shooter who gave me his cell phone number. I just got off the phone with him, and I will be making some serious changes on his advice.

I also very much appreciate the PM from one of my favorite and talented NC shooters who provided me with an article on shooting doubles by Kay Ohye.

Jim Brown: Your suggestion is most seductive, as I find it more comfortable to shoot the right bird first as well...and it certainly works for you, given your excellent average. This may be something for me to consider in the future. But I want to continue to try to shoot the "conventional order" of birds for now.

Double trap is turning out to be a fascinating learning experience...a lot to consider, a lot of which I believe can be applied to the singles and caps games as well.

Thank you all again.

Jef

17. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

HMB, so whats you name so I can easily verify your averge? If it was such a great technique then why do very few of the big guns use it?

18. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Jef, good shooting, if I can be of any help send me a PM.

jim brown

19. shrek

shrek Active Member

I am a one eyed shooter too.

I use the same method as Pat Ireland described above.

I don't shoot registered, but I hold my own with the better local shooters at the clubs around here.

20. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

I'm also a one eyed shooter... scores hav not been the best lately due to trigger problems ,... but hold as Pat said you have alot of time to get to the second bird. just don't try to pop them so quick.. I would rather be alittle slower and break them that go quick and miss them. good luck and shoot well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap double bitds come out level