1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Doubles For First Time

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sglfr45, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

Shot Trap doubles for the first time yesterday. Wow, what an experience!! It was fun. Didn't miss a first target, but missed quite a few of the second ones. Just sharing my experience, and can't wait to shoot more! Matt

2. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

It is addictive. The amount of time the first target takes determines the sucess of the second target. When you are 95%+ you will miss more targets. Now, go to the search function and put in the word doubles. There is days of reading to mix you up. Stand behind a good shooter(22 yd ln) and watch his gun from over his shoulder. Do not get discouraged. It may take 3000 rounds to get to where you feel that 10 hits is an expectation, not an anomoly. The best part about doubles is just when you think you got it........

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed it too the first time I tried it...I've come to learn I shoot one of my sporting guns at doubles way better than any trap O/U I have

4. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

This is my 3rd year of doubles. It is a blast. If I never shot another 16 yd target again, it would not bother me. Just doubles and hdcp and life would be good. Enjoy it......Nubs Wagner

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Doubles is much more enjoyable when your first barrel shoots high and your second barrel shoots flat. And your first barrel has an open choke and your second barrel has a tight choke. HMB

6. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

I shot doubles for the first time sunday too and I didn't think I did so well, but I had 47 or so out of 100. I have only been shooting since December, so I guess that is not too bad. I don't have an over/under, I used a Remington 1100. It was sure a beautiful day on Sunday so that made it especially nice.

On Saturday I finally took the new shooters class I signed up for in January and they took us out to the clays field. I think I would like to try clays. I certainly had no problem hitting the targets that were coming at me since they were easier to see! lol

As the weather gets better I am liking this more and more!

Luvn

7. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Doubles is the most "fun" game in trap. If I had my way they would do away with singles and shoot caps and doubles only. Don't get discouraged. Too many people think you have to "shoot e'm fast". You have more time that you think to get on the second bird. Doubles is a blast! Most people love them after shooting them a couple of times. Since I'm not a great doubles shooter I won't offer advice on how to shoot them. I think you need to be putting 90 plus on the board to offer advice as a doubles expert and I am certainly not there, so I will say to do as mentioned above watch some good doubles shooters and see what works. Have fun!

8. 90T3200

90T3200 TS Member

All you (and myself for that matter) needs to remember is keep the gun swinging and shoot just below and ahead of the second target.

I probably get 98% of the first birds and always right out of the house, with just about every miss being the second bird - I have about an 85 average. But I know why I miss, and its because I shoot behind the second target by stopping the gun - this is especially true on posts 1 and 5.

Keep the gun swinging!

9. nutty1

nutty1 TS Member

i'm also new to doubles and am just curious i'm a right hand shooter, are you shooting right bird first for stations one through three then left first for four and five thanks steve

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

sglfr45, by your post I see your not asking for advice but rather just your initiation to this discipline of shooting. I will give you however a couple items of referrence that may help you with the second shot.

First make sure your to the target before actually shooting! Would be helpers at local clubs may try getting you to believe that doubles have to be shot in a rythum pattern and each and every time a pair is called for and shot at, that it has to be the same speed of delivery. Shoot them as your skill level and experience allow. Speed will come with experience!

Second item is POI which is critical on the second shot as generally and especially new shooters tend to hurry themselves thinking the target is getting out of range (refference above statement) and thus it greatly helps in acquring the kill. Since your beginning a flat (ie 50/50 pattern to 60/40) will be more useful.

Finally, don't let yourself get "hung_up" on chokes and loads. The difference between .105 and .025 on first barrel makes little difference at the range the first shot is delivered. On the second shot, anything above .025 will generally suffice and for me I would tend to put more emphasis here on having enough choke since to be acurrate you will be slower on delivering this shot.

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

.105 is pretty tight?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.