1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Day out

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Customf1, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Customf1

Customf1 TS Member

Jul 31, 2012
    I am new to trap. When I fist went trap shooting a few months back I bought a used Remington 1187 premier trap. I went for some brief instruction then started shooting, I shot 500 rounds and the best I was able to do was 6-10 hits out of the 25. and maybe 2 or 3 of those were completely dusted. I got frustrated and decided to sell it and actually made a little money on the deal. that gun always felt heavy to me and i never got comfortable with it (sounds like I'm blaming the gun!!). I have since picked up a Mossberg 500 combo that came with a tactical and field barrel. I took the gun out trap shooting using the field barrel and shot 4 rounds my scores were 17 18 18 17 -and I dusted around 10 - no cheating these are real scores!! I actually felt more comfortable with the Mossberg as opposed to the 1187. Its a few lbs lighter as well and I seem less stressed with it at the trap line, maybe thats why I did good? Or maybe it was me who knows? I will keep using my Mossberg to see what happens the next time I go but so far even through its not a true trap gun I am very happy with it. In the future I may interested in a lighter trap gun not sure how many exist. any comments are appreciated. Thanks Howard
  2. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Erie, Pa
    You went from a trap gun to a field gun deminsioned stock. A bit of difference in the POI (point of impact) From your scores, I would say you were shooting directly at the targets. The trap deminsion stock will usually print a bit higher requiring you to see the bird above the gun. Get one of the more experienced shooters to look over your shoulder and offer some pointers. Don't get discouraged, everyone started once. Some with even lower scores then you quoted. If I remember right, my wife started with an 8 on the first 100 she shot.

Big Jack
  3. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Big Jack is right. Your field grade shoots flatter, and that may be more comfortable to you right now.

Trap guns are usually heavier than field grade guns because trapshooters will fire from 100 to 400 rounds in a single day. Hunters may not shoot that much in a year. The heavier weight helps us accept the recoil.

Go ahead and shoot your Mossberg, as long as the barrel is of a sufficient length. (A very short barrel, less than 26 inches, is much too loud to be on a regular trap line.)

At some point in time you may decide to get a gun that is a dedicated trap gun. There are a number of lighter weight guns out there if that is still an issue.

Welcome to the sport! Martinpicker
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.