1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap computer program

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Need advice? I'm looking into the possible purchase of a computer program for a small two trap club to ease the bookkeeping chores nessesary for running trapshoots.

Considering; Shooting Sports Software (3S)

3S-001 Trap Shooting Software-$430, version 9.00-standard version

Is this the program currently in common use by most trap clubs? Those who have experience with it-----how do you like it? How difficult is it to learn to use? Do you feel it makes the pay-off calculations easier than doing it by hand? Any advice would be helpful.

The small club I'm referring to is currently putting on one 1 day ATA shoot a year, considering expanding that to more shoots in the future-------hoping that computerizing will make this a little less daunting task.

John C. Saubak, member board of directors

Scobey Gun Club

Scobey, Montana

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

John- The 3-S program will do a nice job. The cost/benefit would have to be determined by you. A key factor in this determination would be the size of your "small shoot". If you are talking about 20 shooters, my personal preference would be to do the work by hand. I would not be thinking about a computer unless the club attracts 50+ shooters.

In a very small shoot, with limited Lewis entries, the 3 S program has a little problem.

Pat Ireland

3. GeoCook

GeoCook TS Member

"Pat", limited Lewis entries, what does that mean. My system will handle up to 4 different types of Lewis Payoffs per event, Regular Lewis, Statet Hall of Fame Lewis, ATA Hall of Fame anda another standard Lewis. I have use this with a range of shooters from 50 to 700 in the Lewis.
    Lewis Class is PAYOFF #5

The system will also pay:

PAYOFF #1

25 Options,

50 Options,

Class Purse,

1ydg purse,

Class Added or up to 3 ydg groups in added if Handicap Event

PAYOFF #2

Yardage Purse (Up to 5 yardage Groups)

PAYOFF #3 (ADDED MONEY PAYOFFS)

Added #2 - 200 Target Added, Up to 5 ydg groups added, 100 or 200 targets

Special Class Added - Added Money Paid to the special Classes, i.e. LD, JR, SJ

Tgt Fee Returned - Portion of target fee returned to shooter as added money

Open / Closed Added - Added paid by state or province

Starting Score Added - If there is a champion added winner this is used

Added Money Lewis Format - Added Money paid in Lewis Class Format

Added Money WVLewis Format - Added Money paid in Modified Lewis Class Format

PAYOFF #4 (Wolfe Option Payoff)

PAYOFF #6 - Special Event (Calcutta)

PAYOFF #7 - Guaranteed Purse Payoff

PAYOFF #8 - Special Purse (200 Target Purse)

PAYOFF #9 - Miller Purse

PAYOFF #10 - Perpetual Purse / Perfect 50's (3 or 6 purses)

PAYOFF #11 - Write Payoff Option to CSV file to import into spreadsheet

PAYOFF #12 - Other Payoffs

Great Eastern Purse or Six Way Purse (25/15/10/25/15/10)

Non Standard Option Printout

Multiple Event Non Standard to CSV file for spreadsheet

PAYOFF #13 - Ford Purse Printout

PAYOFF #14 - 50 Options Variation printout

PAYOFF #15 - Team Lewis Payoff

If you buy this software I'm sure you will not regret it.

George Cook

Shooting Sports Software

4. Ertz

Ertz Member

3S is the Cat's meow. I can't reccommend it enough. I can't imagine how people process shoots without it!!

Tim Rawerts

5. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

George,

I THINK what Pat was trying to say (you always get in trouble with this!) if that if you have 20-25 shooter and running a simple lewis, that doing the shoot by hand vs using 3S is a push (in my mind, it would probably be a little easier to run this size shoot by hand).

In Evansville, we have monthly two day shoots, 3 events each day, with lewis on 16s and doubles and 4 options on the caps. We usually have 50-55 people for the 16s, 45-50 for the caps, and 20-25 for the doubles. In this size of shoot, using a computer program is a must, in my mind. I like the 3S over Bubba's (with no disrespect to Bubba) and George is available whenever for tech support.

If you have over 150 entries for your shoot, all events combined, or are running a multi day shoot -- buy the program. If you have any size at all and are running multiple options, buy the program. If you are small club, shooting 1-2 days a month with only 20 people and a "simple lewis" then do it by hand.

Clear as mud?

John

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Thanks for the replies so far------& keep 'em coming.

We're prob'ly looking at typically 25 to 35 shooters, give or take? Perhaps going from a one day ATA shoot once a year to maybe a two day ATA down the road and maybe a couple of un-registered 50-50-50's at other times of the year. All of this is quite tentative, if computerizing would make the secretarial work for the shoots easier that would make things a little less daunting for a short staff. Wouldn't really expect the program to pay for itself, but rather make it so the members might be willing to commit to putting on a few more shoots.

John C. Saubak

7. 25 nout

25 nout TS Member

3S and George, you can't go wrong. You will see what we mean!!!
    Larry

8. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

I looked at all the software out there a few years ago and went with 3S and never looked back. We use it for our ATA shoots with no problems. But, we even use the software for our club shoots with a little bit of creativity by giving all of the shooters a phoney ID number.

Plus, you get George Cook who doesn't leave you hanging. I've called this man a number of times, at various times of day and have gotten answers to questions. He stands behind his product 110%!

Get it and you will not be sorry.

John Semprini
    Maywood Sportsmen's Club
    Elmhurst, IL

9. Ertz

Ertz Member

If you are looking for any League software check out the link above.

10. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Another advantage to the 3S program is that it compiles all the paper work that has to be sent to your local trap association and to the ATA. It has also eliminated any math mistakes in adding scores and payouts.

Eric

11. k80kid

k80kid Member

John,

The 3S software is fully integrated with PreSquad.com. Clubs that offer online pre-squadding to their shooters generally draw shooters from further away and get higher attendance.

Something else to consider...

- Mike -

12. Klay_Buster

Klay_Buster TS Member

I find the advantage of 3S software is the ability to post the payoffs, regardless of how complex, two minutes after you get the last score sheet in.
    Reports and fiancial balance at the end of the day is also much easier.
    Did shoots for 30 years by hand, now use 3S and will never look back.
    Even for small shoots it's great. George Cook provides great support.
    The only downside is that some club members can't use a computer, so It leaves all the work on your sholders for every shoot, that is until you get other club members trained on running the software. Dave in Nevada City

13. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

We've been using 3s software since his MS DOS version. Great product. I especially like the feature that writes to a delimited file that I use for posting the scores on our web site. Posting of results and scores at the shoot is quick and neat. Worth the price. In addition he provides a file of all ATA members for download every 2 months for a small annual charge. The file is used in his program for handicapping. We don't use all his features but those we use work for us.

Augie
    SAN DIEGO Shotgun Sports

14. GeoCook

GeoCook TS Member

I attempted to have a League system as part of my offering but decided in the long run that I'm just too damn busy with the Trap Shooting program so I dropped the League system. As was stated in the response above, if you need a League package use the link to Piedgon Pro League system I hear it works very well. http://www.tcinternet.net/users/pigeonpro/

And to be fair to Pat Ireland, if you attempt to payoff a Lewis class and there are not enough scores for the requested classes the system may drop a portion of the payoff due to a lack of scores to process. When this happens to me I usually just pay the short Class all of the money or in other circumstances I will speak to the shoot managment and possibly change the number of classes from say 4 to 3 and then re-run the payoff. This is really not a bug but rather you are asking the system to pay a Lewis class with not enough scores to process the Lewis rules and then attempting to run the payoff.

George R Cook

Shooting Sports Software

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.