1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Combo for Trap and Sporting Clays?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rdf59, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdf59

rdf59 Member

I am looking at a Guerini Magnus combo 34-30 with a sst factory installed. My hope is to use it for trap and clays with the 30" o/u. It seems as though with both the adjustable rib on the o/u also and the adj comb, it might be a good two sport candidate.

I'm not a pro (obviously) in either area. 88-93 in trap and 58-65 in clays after one year. I do not have a dedicated trap gun -- presently using either a 26" field o/u for trap or, rarely, a Mod 21 Winchester Trap SxS F&F. We shoot at 16 yds in our club shoots up in the mountains in NE Georgia.

2. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

Those are really nice guns. Pattern your barrels at 13 yards with the full choke to determine POI. Don't worry about figure 8ing your beads, just put your cheek down on the comb and put the front bead right on you aiming point. Set your single barrel up to shoot 2-3 inchs high at 13 yards for starters by raising your comb with washers. Put on the doubles and see where they shoot. If they are also about 2 inches high, use that setting for doubles or you can take out a washer to flatten them out an inch. Take washers out and shoot the doubles. When you are 0 to 1 inch, you can probably use that setup for clays.

Adjust your ribs to the sight picture you prefer.

Or, you can read the posts which will follow below about using your ribs to adjust your POI and you will spend hours farting around with the ribs and the comb.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

My TRUE COMBO is a K-80 with adj. trap stock, 34" Unsingle barrel for singles and caps, and a 30" flat rib sporter barrel with Briley tubes for ATA Dubs, Skeet, Bunker, Wobble, Sporting,,, you get the idea!

I set the stock so the top barrel of the O/U shoots flat. I re hangered the bottom barrel so it shoots 60/40. Then, without touching the stock, I set the Unsingle rib so that barrel shoots 70/30.

Now, I do not have to change anything but the barrel, regardless of which delightful clay target sport I want to shoot. I am an equal opportunity clay target shooter. I like ALL the sports!

4. k80jim

k80jim Member

Plus one on the reply from Shooting Coach. I also use a K80 34 30 combo. But also have a set of Kolar Skeet tubes for it. I changed over to this set up about 1990 and never looked back. Shooting one gun for everything is great if you can get it to work for you. Good luck.

5. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

The Guerini Trap O/U is not the best sporting clays option. It will shoot high (at least 60/40) with the rib in the highest position, and the balance is a bit biased towards the muzzle, which is not optimal for sporting clays. I own the Trap and the Sporting Guerini O/U, and recommend the guns highly, but this is not a good compromise. You're probably better off using a low-rib sporter for trap doubles (as long as you have an adjustable comb), rather than trying to use a high rib gun for sporting. Keep looking.

Rob M.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap sporting clay combo