1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap clubs around Roswell Ga

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ducky, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ducky

Ducky Member

Hi All,

Going to be moving down to Roswell area from Chicagoland next month. Thought I might try to find a trap club by the new house. I live about 15 min from my club now so I am pretty spoiled. Both sons are AIM shooters also. Thanks in advance for the help.

Scott

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Scott--I don't know about the shooting clubs but Roswell is a very nice area of the Atlanta suburbs. I use to stay there twice a year(Jan and July) for two weeks at a time for buisness trips. There are some excellent restaraunts in that area. Good luck with your move and new home. I always said if i had to move to a city suburbs it would be Buckhead or Roswell GA. I love the nice Southern people and beautiful sites.---Matt

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Scott---Try this site above its all sorts of clay target clubs not just skeet as it appears........

4. Ducky

Ducky Member

Thanks for the well wishes and the link!! Looking forward to getting down there and figuring it all out. Any other links also appreciated.

Scott

5. BAP

BAP TS Member

Closest would be Cherokee Gun club in Gainsville and then Tom Lowe in Atlanta. Another good choice would be South Rivewr in Covington. All good clubs but Tom Lowe is run by the county and not trapshooter friendly.

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Website link for the GA Trapshooting Assoc..

Curt

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

The Cherokee Gun Club seems to be where many of my GA friends hang out.

Pat Ireland

8. rbmtrap

rbmtrap Member

Wrong about Tom Lowe. All the upcoming successful new Georgia trap shooters are coming out of Tom Lowe and kicking butts of surrounding clubs.

No doubt that the guy who runs the place is really bad news for shooting, in way over his head. He's already run off a most lucrative sporting clays practice, and the Georgia Skeet Assoc. apparently is done with him (even though the state skeet hall of fame is there). Trap is the only game he hasn't run off yet. He's not opposed to trap, he just really doesn't work well with people (but one on one he's really not a bad guy), NOT the kind of guy who should be running an essentially retail operation and have contact with the public. But the place is open six days a week and trap fields are always open, and some very good shooters are likely shooting out there at the same time.

With potentially the best shotgun facility in the state, years of mismanagement are catching up with the place. On the other hand, trap fields with a puller or voice calls always available and a very active Sunday Trap league is currently the starting point for the newly successful ATA shooters in the state. Easy to verify, go down there and look at the banners of the current crop of winners. Other clubs in the area bad mouth TL, but they aren't coming up with any new shooters who can beat them.

Unfortunately, there really is no strong trap facility close to Roswell - traffic to the known facilities is a killer.

An alternative to consider is the Riverbend Gun Club, north of Roswell could/would be the most convenient, it is one of the premier pistol/rifle facilities in the nation - but they almost don't yet really speak shotgun there. Two skeet fields and one trap house, they've got the room and the pockets, but as of yet, not the interest. If you're looking for a project, joining there and helping get a class trap program started probably is very doeable, and without a doubt would be your best bet logistically.

Unfortunately no program is really close by with Cherokee and TL being the closest. Don't write off TL based on the above comments though, their newer shooters are jumping into the forefront...

9. bas

bas Member

Cherokee would probably be your best bet, although unless it is a registered shoot, you have to be a member or accompanied by a member...however, Ross - poster above, will be able to give you all of the details. But it is worth becoming a member IF you live in the area...they have a great setup. And, they offer other shooting sports as well.

Most new shooters come out of Tom Lowe because it is a public facility - but do check the GA website...that will give you information on the trap clubs in GA. You will love the friendly people and you will enjoy shooting in the South.

Traffic in Atlanta is a killer no matter which club you are going to.

10. quartering

quartering Active Member

in the early eighties, roswell was nothing but huge cow pastures separated by barbed wire fences on the outskirts of town. has it changed? good luck with it

11. BAP

BAP TS Member

Dear rmbtrap,I ment no disrespect to Tom Lowe Shooting Grounds. I began shooting there in 1981 and it used to be my favorite place to shoot. I shot my first 200 there and made my first move to the 27 there. I used to shoot all of their shoots until one of the previous managers told me her refused to send programs out because he had more trapshooters than he wanted. I have been back a few times since then and had some good times there but no longer is it on my list of favorite clubs. I wish them well and hope to shoot there again soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.