1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Club Insurance

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by magyar, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magyar

magyar TS Member

We are a Private Club, however, we do open to the public once a week where we may have upwards of 60 squads. Any of you folks who run an open shoot to the public have any thoughts on type of coverage and who provides it. We have the normal ATA $1 Mill liability plus Directors and officers coverage. So very concerned these days with people ready to sue at a drop of a hat.
    Thanks and Happy New Year to All,

Bob

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

contact sportsmans insurance at the above URL.

3. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

The NRA has some companies you can contact also

4. break25

break25 TS Member

Maybe some Clubs would be interested in your findings. So, could you share?

CHAZZ

5. magyar

magyar TS Member

Chazz and to others I'll let you know what I have found out,,

P.S. I am not concerned with our own membership really from the literally thousands of public that come each year.

Bob

6. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

The "Volunteer Protection Act of 1997" significantly reduces the exposure to liability of volunteers, but it does not eliminate it completely. The act will limit the liability if the action is found to be within the scope of the act, but it does not prevent the volunteer from being named in a suit.

Further, D&O insurance most often will protect the entity, the gun club. Many policies also provide Employment Practices Liability which will cover sexual harrasment, wrongful termination etc of employees.

Most importantly, most policies provide defense costs in the event the directors are sued. It may take some time to work out whether the action falls within the protection of the law.

7. ljutic05

ljutic05 Member

Bob,

As "leadvail" indicated, we insure their club and would be happy to give you a quote as well. We have liability coverage available, as well as property (if you need to cover a clubhouse, trap machines, other equipment, etc.), as well as the Directors and Officers (if necessary). I work with a couple of different companies, just depending on the size of your club. We also have coverage available for commercial ranges, vendors and retail operations. Please give me a call and I'll be happy to discuss your options and get you a quote.

Have a safe and Happy New Year and Shoot Well!!

Diana Crawford, CPCU, AIS
    ACE Insurance Services, Inc.
    ATA Member 02-10105

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

We have discussed on here D&O. If the officers are making the appropriate buisness decisions and the gun club is organized properly you most likely dont need it. Now if the directors are making horrendous buisness decisions, outside the norm and you someone have stock or shareholders you might need it.
    If the directors are stealing, you dont need it because it wont cover the club or them.

It doesnt protect what you think it protects.

You can always have an individual as an additional named insured rather than D&O if there is some individual that will be exposed for some reason to personal liability

Insurance is one of those expenses that you have to make sure you are getting the best price for the coverage that you need or can afford.

As you pay for insurance, like everything, it increases the cost per round.

regards from Iowa

Gene

9. break25

break25 TS Member

BOB,

I sent you a PM,

Chazz

10. break25

break25 TS Member

Any more input on this? magyar sent you a PM

CHAZZ

11. break25

break25 TS Member

12. magyar

magyar TS Member

Sent you a private message...Bob

13. pdq

pdq Member

$1 Mill of general liability sounds light.

My community of 38 homes is governed by a homeowners association and we recently increased to $3Mill.

If anything serious happened in the way of a gun related injury, I don't think $1M would even start to cover the lawsuit given recent awards.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ata trap club insurance