1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

trap clinics

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TEXASZEPHYR, Mar 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

I have noticed as of late that there have been quite a few trap clinics offered in the few days before a major shoot. Do you think that this would improve your shooting for that shoot? It seems to me that trying to correct something a day before you are competing could be detrimental to what you have been doing, Perhaps a clinic after the major shoot would give you some time to correct what you were doing wrong before you shoot at another big shoot, What are you guy's thoughts?

Bob

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The timing is probably more for the convenience for those giving the clinic than for the benefit of those taking it. You're right that having no time to internalize new techniques makes acquiring them just before a shoot pretty pointless.

Keller

3. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

They have always been a bit confusing for me just before a shoot. You need to fine tune what you might have learned by time on the practice field. You can imagine even the smallest detail out of the norm will throw you off to cost you even a couple birds.

But having said that a doubles clinic before a shoot always helped just my doubles. But I think that may be because of the shear number of doubles you get to hone in on with repetition and guidance. As you get in a Kay's class, the best.

CM

4. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

What say you guys that have participated in one of the clinics recenty that was held just before a large shoot?
    Just wondering,

Bob

5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Do not take one just before a big shoot. You need time to practice what you learned and see if it works for you. It would be like buying a new gun and heading to the shoot.jmho :) Bill

6. trap-pr

trap-pr Member

no wast of monney ron

7. lost & Dead

lost & Dead Member

Travel money for the ones putting on the clinic or options money.

8. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Well lost and dead, the ones putting on the clinics have to have their year planned out a year or two in advance so it would only make sence for them to schedule their clinics close to the shoot schedules that they attend. Otherwise, they would be criss crossing the country needlessly. They are just implementing what I call the 6 P program. Proper planning prevents piss poor performance.

Howdy Ron and Pam.

John

9. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

What would be wrong with having a clinic after a major shoot. I've not seen this offered. It would still give pleanty of time to get to another shoot, and would give an opportunity to address problems found during the shot.

10. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Not speaking for myself, but a fellow shooter that I shoot with and we camp together at our big shoots. Took a clinic days before our State shoot. Myself I thought is was not a wise decision on his part. However, His scores jumping up and him winning three events is results that are hard to argue with. I was struggleing before the shoot, did not go to the clinic although I could of, and I shot like crap the whole shoot. My handicap scores were higher than my singles scores. Go figure

JB

11. kgunron

kgunron Member

If you dont have your stuff together what is the point of shooting a big competition? Will you be happy taking home a "b" or"c"class trophy? If you want to learn this game, take some help whenever you can get it and apply it as soon as you can. Good advise doesnt need practice. It should be instant satisfaction! Ron Sutton

12. kgunron

kgunron Member

If you dont have your stuff together what is the point of shooting a big competition? Will you be happy taking home a "b" or"c"class trophy? If you want to learn this game, take some help whenever you can get it and apply it as soon as you can. Good advise doesnt need practice. It should be instant satisfacion! Ron Sutton

13. kgunron

kgunron Member

If you dont have your stuff together what is the point of shooting a big competition? Will you be happy taking home a "b" or"c"class trophy? If you want to learn this game, take some help whenever you can get it and apply it as soon as you can. Good advise doesnt need practice. It should be instant satisfacion! Ron Sutton

14. kgunron

kgunron Member

15. kgunron

kgunron Member

16. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Bob, Its all between the ears. If you think it will help, it probably will. Clyde

17. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Thanks guys. I think most are of the opinion to not try to change something just before a shoot. I'm in the same camp. Now if we can just get the pro's to have a clinic just after the shoot.

Bob

18. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Bob, actually you can have it both ways: if you take a class just prior to a shoot, you will take away information from the class that you can choose to utilize at any time. Sometimes a simple fix can be made to improve scores immediatley. If you have other issues, simply choose to not make any changes at that immediate shoot. In Leo's classes, he gives you the information and the tools to improve your scores. What and when you choose to do with all this is up to you.
    Since we do travel and shoot at clubs from coast to coast and border to border, giving a clinic at the site of a major shoot is one way to better manage our time and travel expenses.
    Leo is holding a one day class at San Antonio just prior to the SW Grand since we were going anyway to shoot.

19. wlc

wlc Member

Some instructors will help you improve your style of shooting. Some will try to teach you to shoot like they do. I think the former right before a shoot could be ok.

20. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Thanks Karla, Easter sunday w family and travel time on monday Kinda blows SWG out of the picture. shame it couldn't have been the following monday, might have given it a try. Hope you get it full. See ya'll there

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.