1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Classifications & Sandbaggers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blade819, Mar 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I sure don't have the answer for this problem but as a lower class shooter in all 3 events, I find it more than discouraging to look at Southern Grand results and in Singles and Doubles see Class AAA scores and Class D scores seperated only by 2 birds! The ATA wonders why they are losing membership?

blade819

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Oh great, here we go. You've just opened up Pandora's box. Sit back and enjoy the show.

Bryan

3. SCL

SCL Member

What does this even mean? As a guy who's contemplating registered targets for the first time this year, i'm curious. It would seem that by the scores for singles what you're saying is there should be no classifications? Not flaming, just curious where you're going here.

Scott

4. GOT A PAIR

GOT A PAIR TS Member

Blade, This ticks me off- have you never got lucky and shot a 99 or a 100 as a C class shooter. A c & b shooter shoots c&b class scores most of the time and gets lucky with a good score and if its at a big shoot I am happy for him.A A or AA shooter shoots those scores most of the time with a B or C score on a bad day. At a big shoot some one is going to shoot over his head. You can not expect to go to a big shoot and shoot your average and expect to win all the time. Yes I am a c & b shooter and have fun, I shot a 99 and another shooter c class shot his first 100 and beat me, I was happy for him. Shoot against your average and have fun and be happy you have your "health" and are able to shoot.

5. Matt Colman

Matt Colman Member

What is someone going to gain by sandbagging and shooting in class D? All that this shows is That a class D shooter can shoot a good now and then, they should be proud of there scores and not be worried about being called a sandbagger. I would bet that the class D shoot offs were a lot shorter than the AAA shoot offs

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There are sandbaggers every where and in every sport, if you ever run up against one you won't know it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The difference between a D class shooter and a AA class shooter is consistency. Both are capable of posting good scores, its just that the AA class shooter does so most of the time where as the D class shooter does it once in a blue moon.

No matter the class, the winning score is almost always above the the shooter's average.

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Good answer User.

Truth is at singles and doubles you always win on the way up and just shoot average after that. So, have a good day and get bumped up a class and then go back home and just have your averages again for the classifiers to work with. I shoot to beat my current level and then what ever happens after that I have no control. I shot some above my class scores last year and was pretty proud of those. But other guys did better.

The true sandbagger is a
    [​IMG]

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Blade819:
    Do you really think that veteran sandbaggers are sandbagging in a singles and a doubles event? Where's the money in those two events? Here's a bit of advice, if you want to shoot ATA events, accept the fact that you will be shooting against very good shooters. To win an ATA event you will have to shoot above your average. When you complain about the scores it looks like sour grapes.

I believe that a real sandbagger will be most likely enter in a handicap event, as is will most likely have a bigger pay off. I would suggest try your best, and realize at big shoots, there will be high scores in every class.
    Steve Balistreri

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

There's a LOT of shooters at the Southern Grand, a few of them are bound to get lucky. Like wolfram said above, the difference between a D shooter and a AA shooter is consistency. The AA shooter shoots good scores MOST of the time, the D shooter occasionaly gets lucky like every now and then even a blind squirrel finds an acorn.

John C. Saubak

11. JoeBobOutfitters

JoeBobOutfitters TS Member

I was at The Grand in Sparta for the main singles day this year. There were a ridiculous amount of shooters on the line at any given time, which numbered into the thousands. With that many shooters in each and every class, you're bound to have some lucky ones. Obviously, there could be some potential sandbaggers, but I've seen some lucky new shooters walk out and break a 99 and follow it up with an 80 something. I wouldn't suspect that all of the higher scores in lower classes were sandbaggers whatsoever.

12. RAScott

RAScott Member

I think that as a competitor, good or bad, goes to a large shoot they concentrate more than maybe at a smaller shoot, and that is why you get higher scores. We all know it is the indian, not the arrow ,and trap is 95% mental. so more focus and concentration.We should all try and focus more but its hard at times.

Bob S

13. BigBearRod

BigBearRod Member

I'm new to this but when I first saw the different classes and noticed that 1 or 2 shots seperate them, I thought that was pretty silly. If the classes were fewer and more spread out I think it would make more sense and maybe get more new shooters interested. I'm new so I probably don't understand it enough.

Rod

14. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The appeal of trapshooting is that nearly every shooter can aspire to break a 99 or 100, even though it may be only once in a blue moon. Contrast that with sporting clays where a top shooter may shoot a 96 or 97 and an average shooter knows on his best day he won't come within 15 birds of that score.

15. C23D

C23D TS Member

I primarily shoot sporting clays now-a-days. I typically shoot 7-8 targets better in Big Blast type events than I do in local monthly shoots.

Am I a sandbagger? NO. I simply shoot better at big shoots because the pressure is on and I turn the concentration knob to 11. Plus, 7-8 targets only gets me to the middle of the pack. It's amazing what happens when you actually focus on breaking targets.

I once saw a 'C' class shooter break a 199 in the singles championship at a state shoot. During his last 5 targets you could actually see him shaking. When he was done his eyes were a bit misty. He'd never shot better then 94 in any 100 targets. Later word came down that some were calling him a sandbagger. It was heartbreaking watching his reaction.

Sandbaggers exist. It sucks but if your in any shooting sport for the prizes, money, and recognition, it's time to find a different way to spend your time and money.

16. Guncop

Guncop TS Member

I am a new shooter. As a matter of fact, I'm shooting my first registered this Sunday. Only been shooting trap since November but have shot other disciplines over the years. Sandbaggers do exist I suppose but frankly I could care less. I am getting in to this sport to have some fun and burn some powder. I have shot 50 straight and a 98-99% average on one day then I drop to the high 80's another. Snadbagging? not at all. I'm learning the game and haven't got the consistancy thing down yet. Like anything, I will and I will get better. There is no shortage of good folks in this sport to help me get there. Want to put me in a higher class? fine. I just may step my game up. Guess what I'm saying in my humble opinion is that I will not let other shooters get into my head. I am shooting for myself and against myself. Just relax, have fun, and don't let the garbage ruin your day at the range.

17. josh b

josh b TS Member

Everyone has good days and bad days, for me the bad far outway the good, but yes sandbagging happens if you don't believe your nieve. That being said everyone gets a good score now and again, the red flag for sandbagging goes up for me when the 20 yarder or C and D class shooter pops a great score and played all the options that day. Tells me that they already knew that it was going to be the day that everything comes together.

18. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Shoot targets only...put the money you would have spent on options and purses in your savings account or IRA and have fun...then you don't have to worry about classifications and sandbaggers. Regards, Ed

19. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I think many in this thread need to know what the definition of a sandbagger is and what motivates them. JMO

BTW the only guy here that said something that is correct is John C. Saubak He said

"the difference between a D shooter and a AA shooter is consistency. The AA shooter shoots good scores MOST of the time, the D shooter occasionaly gets lucky like every now and then"

Very true John very true.

Bob Lawless

20. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Saubak & Lawless are correct!

If you have been shooting for a while ... you have broken every type of bird that comes out of the house hundreds of times! So the possibility of a 100 is there ... but C & D shooters are not consistent enough to do it.
    A, AA, and AAA will do it most of the time.

At a Cub Shoot or most ATA shoots you are there to compete and have fun ... but ... at a big shoot, forget the fun part ... it is all concentration and hard work!
    Result ... better scores ( unless you choke up and blow it! )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ata class scores d class
classifications of trap shooters

trap classifications

trap scoring rules and classifications

trap shooter clasifications

trap shooting classification

trap shooting classifications