1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Choke for Kids

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tomjv, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomjv

tomjv TS Member

Question:
    Do you think a full choke(rather than present IC) may improve my son's trap scores?

Background:
    My son is 12yo and has been shooting clays since he was 6. He's been most serious(every week) since last summer. At that time, I bought him a Beretta 3901 youth target shotgun. It's a 12ga semi-auto w/28" barrel. It came with an IC choke which the dealer, also a high class instructor, recommended he use for trap. I had the gun fitted by Beretta too. This was a story to itself. 'Ever buy a gun on W65th St in Manhattan? Anyway, he's got a good eye and bangs them off the DoAll machine without mercy. In trap, he shoots a more disappointing 15.

I recently switched to a Browning BT99. It's a full choke 32" barrel. My scores are now in the 20's.
    It's my feeling that the longer barrel and tighter choke makes the BT a better trap gun because the shot pattern is tight and long.
    Next, I considered my son's case. He's got a much shorter barrel and more open IC choke. His pattern must be larger and shorter. If you think about people shooting clays, the easy part is to point "at" the bird, the hard part is the lead. My son gets most of the straight shots. So, I'm thinking he's a good pointer. He has trouble with his lead. The longer pattern on a full choke should make his inaccurate leads more forgiving. Food for thought . . .
    Thanks in Advance,
    TomJV

2. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Put a mod choke in and let him practice with that.

Jerbear

3. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I agree. A modified choke would be better than Improved Cylinder.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Third for modified.

Unless he shoots pretty quickly, the IC may have too open a pattern to get consistent hits, even if they're right "on."

IC is fine for the do-all trap, since it probably doesn't throw targets as fast, and he's also not standing 16 yards behind it.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Try not to 'overthink' this subject of shot strings ect. You will end up neglecting the real objective which is shooting skill.

In your son's case the IC will break birds just fine from the 16 as will a skeet choke. For the purpose of building his shooting skills the tighter chokes are better because a centered pattern rewards the shooter with a smoke ball whereas off center patterns show up as a few fragments with a degree of defection. So put that modified or even IMOD tube in his gun and leave it there.

Without seeing your son shoot, my guess (most common problem) is that he is sighting the shotgun rather than pointing it and probably stopping the gun as he pulls the trigger. Consider getting him some professional instruction, it sounds as if he is very interested in the game and wants to learn.

6. oz

oz Active Member

No one is interested in what load the poor kid is using? if 1 1/8 use mod. if 1 oz use light mod or i/c. oz

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

BTW, according to many smart folks, our own Neil Winston, for one, a full choke will actually give you a SHORTER shot string than a more open choke.

A long shot string really doesn't buy you anything, and a short shot string is preferred.

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Improved Cylinder is too open for Trap, suggest at least .020 or tighter.

John C. Saubak

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

my wife shoots a 28" barrel Modified briley exstended choke, shoots well for the little she shoots. I got my wife to sit down and pattern her own gun, both at the 13y and 35y distances, helped in fitting and for her to understand wheresabouts the pattern is going and doing. When shes smooth and follows through mod crushes the targets. I have IM in my gun

10. kie95

kie95 Member

The Mod choke is perfect. My son is also 12 and shoots the same gun with the mod choke, shells are 1-1/8 oz light 8 loads and he has become a very good shooter. Over last year and 5000 targets with some instruction from some good shooters around the clubhouse that know what they are talking about has taken his average from a 86 to a 96 in 16 yards with a Beretta. The Mod choke will not leave balls of smoke but who cares if you break a 100 targets in half when you have some spread on your pattern.

11. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

eliminate the imp. cyl. choke and go atleast to .020 proved constriction. The salesperson/high class instructor was most likely a sporting clays teacher.

The 28" barrel should be OK.

When was the gunfitting done? A 12 year old can change in physical form pretty quickly. Point being the gun may no longer fit properly, if it ever was...

Both of you really should get to a pattern board or make your own rig then make sure your patterns line up left to right. The procedure has been explained in detail on several threads here.

Repeat, never use imp. cyl. for trap.

12. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Modified choke would be a good one for your son to try.
    Longs shot strings are NEVER an advantage, in any kind of shooting.
    Choking does not affect shot strings, nor does barrel length, in any significant way.

13. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

I was also going to ask about the shot size. 8's will break more than 7.5's for beginners. As an SCTP coach I always like to see my beginning athletes use a pretty open choke. As has been said, even a skeet choke will break them from the 16. A fragmented bird is as dead as a dust cloud. They can always tighten up on the choke later to hone their skill. I use my singles RemChoke for handicap and it works fine. Only doubles is where I have to really tighten up on the choke, because I'm not good at getting on them quick in doubles.

14. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I'm more interested in hearing the story about buying a gun on W.65th street in Manhattan.

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.