1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap centered in house?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by awbenz, Jul 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

I hear fellow shooters say that the trap is not centered in the house, How can you tell by shooting on that trap? Allen

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I think that means that the "field" is off-center.

That is, the machine is offset to one side or the other, e.g. the lefts are too far left, and the rights are not far enough right.

As if you rotated the whole machine counter-clockwise.

3. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I've seen fields where the trap house is not centered on the pad. However, the machine cannot be centered in the house because it throws the targets off of the right side of the machine. So, to have a straight target come out of the center of the house, the machine must be offset to the left a little.

4. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Allen, I'm not sure what you mean; right to left, or up and down. The arm needs to center the field, and be vertically the same level as the foot pad on position 3 at the 16yd line. The trap house roof level above ground and sides, as to width, many times, vary from field to field, in some cases, at the same club, and can cause challenges. It is where the bird starts it's flight, regardless of where the machine is sitting in the trap house, or more correctly where the traphouse is sitting in relationship to the trap machine is what's important.

best....mike

5. 870

870 Well-Known Member

If you ask me I'd say the pedestals were offset to the left in a proper installation. Traps had to be left of center to throw a straight away from the center of the field.

To answer the OP, on some traps (not a Pat Trap), you can tell if the field is centered by setting the trap in the center hole and seeing if a straight away is actually in line with the centerline of the field. Often it won't be due to issues with installation of the trap. On a Pat, I'll let someone else comment.

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

The first day I went to an ATA shoot an old timer asked me if I shot left or right handed? I said left, as then he preceded to say that left hand shooters had an advantage over right hand shooters. He said the way the machine is located in the house makes hard left angles more severe than hard right angles. He further said how the hard right angled target was easier for a lefty than a right hand shooter.

I than asked him what is a lefties toughest target, he said a hard left from station #1? I than said doesn't it even out, because if that angle is harder for left hand shooters because the stock might leave his or her face as we shoot, and if that target is more severe than #5, I would think left hand shooters are really going to have a tough time once they get to #1?

He shrugged his shoulders and than walked away. All I know is this, a trap is a trap, a target is a target, and when you see the target break it, and forget about all this nonsense as we lose targets usually from the neck up.
    Steve Balistreri

7. perga1

perga1 Active Member

On the old WW traps the machine had to be offset 1 foot to the left to have the target come out in the center of the house. I don't remember how the Pats are set up since I haven't had the opportunity to install any. JRM

8. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

As for the Pat Traps . . . there is a notch in the front rail of the frame that should be installed on the centerline of the traphouse. That ensures that the target will come out at the center of the house. The machine is actually installed to the left of center (standing behind the machine looking out) in order to make the target come out in the center.

Scott

9. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

If you have ever loaded a trap you will notice that there is more room on the right side than the left that is so the the target can come out at the center.

10. missed some

missed some TS Member

usually a comment someone makes when they aren't straight and they feel they should be!! mark crist

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Guys, Traps are often not installed properly in the first place. This makes it impossible to set the field properly. This happens sometimes and unless the club is willing to fix it , that trap will never be able to have the field set properly. Sadly this is not as uncommon as you might think. Jfef

12. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

missed some, I agree with you mark. Missed shooting with you at the State this year. Hope to be well enough next year. Tell Travis Hi.. Allen Wilhite.

13. dhip

dhip Active Member

Shoot,and I thought it was when either to the right or left it slams the bird into the edge of the wall and breaks it all to pieces.LMAO,,Went to a club my brother goes to,they had one set up in a utility shed and every now and then,it'd smash a bird into one side or the other of the edge of the shed.

Doug H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.