1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Case Differences???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HotRodA10, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

I'm probably going to ask a foolish question here but as I shoot skeet I don't know the answer. I'm going to add a higher rib to my skeet barrel and I'm taping wood strips with different thicknesses to my barrel to get the height I want. I put the barrel in my Americase and found out the lid won't close with this added height so, my question is:

Do cases made for trap guns have a deeper space to allow for the higher ribs on trap barrels? Thanks.

Rod

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Yes. There are cases made just for high rib guns.

3. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

Thanks.....that's what I thought.

4. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

OR: some of the cases are designed to have the bbl lay down flat rather than stand upright.
    Question: why the high rib on a skeet gun?

5. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

I had a post on here a few days ago regarding higher rib advantages, and I have decided to try a higher rib.

Rod

6. beaker100

beaker100 Member

thanks unloader! we can build just what you need. colorado custom cases, doug hubbart (573)286-9905 jd28hd@aol.com

7. knukes

knukes Member

Rod,
    Here are some photos of an ultra high rib skeet case I build for a skeet gun with an ultra high rib. The other issue with the gun case is that it should accomodate your receiver with a higher comb.
    knukes_2008_030331.jpg

knukes_2008_030332.jpg

Kerry

BF Cases

8. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hotrod, they were talking about trap guns with high ribs! You KNOW where the skeet target is going.

9. Bill J Boyd

Bill J Boyd TS Member

Rod, please check our site and case spec's at boydsafecase.com. all of our cases not only take the highest ribs but the largest offset stocks also. we have what you are looking for at reasonable prices.
    Bill Boyd

10. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Hot Rod,
    what is your gun and how high of a rib have you decided to add on??

Surfer

11. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

I shoot a Parcours Special with a standard flat rib on 30" barrels, and I'm not sure yet as to the height I want. I'll going to play around a little with different heights by using wood strips taped to my barrels. I've taped a few on already and haven't shot yet, but it looks like somewhere around 1/2" - 3/4" of added height. I don't want to add an ungodly amount but just enough to get my head a little more upright similar to an ACS rib maybe. I won't be able to shoot for about another 4-5 weeks due to recent knee surgery but I'm hoping it won't take too figure it out. Who knows, it may turn out that I don't add any at all. I've noticed ssme of the well known skeet shooters are using high ribs and I just want to give it a try.

Rod

12. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Hot Rod,
    Many of the current (trap) gun cases will accept a higher rib. The best used case is a John Hall which are no longer in production. A john Hall case will accept barrels with what I would call mid height, 3/4"or less. These cases come up on T.S. com from time to time. Try posting under Wanted to buy listing and see if you get a response.

Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.