1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap barrels

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rfb, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rfb

rfb TS Member

I have a skeet shotgun, but I am told that the receiver could be fitted with trap barrels. What is the difference between skeet and trap barrels? I am not refering to the chokes but the difference in the barrels themselves.

2. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

you will get better answers if you mention the brand of your skeet gun. jm

3. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Basically, there is no difference between a skeet barrel w/ choke tubes and a trap barrel w/ choke tubes.
    You may find that the average trap barrel tends to be a tetch longer than the average skeet barrel, but that the range in lengths can overlap a bit.

Where those barrels are located, and where the gun they are mounted in is set to shoot can vary considerably. The barrel itself (ignoring the rib) is about the only similarity between a skeet gun and a trap gun.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

There might be a difference in what one considers trap or skeet barrels but the line is blurring

The barrel can and will usually be adjusted to shoot higher than the skeet barrel- if it has the same rib style- the factory does that by the way that the barrels fit into the mono block and the relationship of the mono block to the frame

Trap barrels are usually longer- typically 30-32 inches for O/U barrels and 32-34 for single trap barrels

they may have a different rib or may not

If fixed choke- skeet barrels will have 3-5 thousands of choke- and trap barrels 25-40

regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.