1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap barrel for T/C Encore?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Nov 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Anyone ever done something like this? Barrels for the tc are so incredibly simple, it would be a nothing project for someone with a lathe and mill. Get a 34" blank, chamber and thread for chokes, weld the barrel lug to the barrel, rig up a simple adjustable rib system for it, and you'd be done. If I had access to machines, I'd be making one, and probably will when I'm able to, just curious if anyone else has attempted something along these lines. Other than the fact that you have to hand cock the hammer, it would probably be a fairly decent gun, and could have most of the features of a high end gun, at a fraction of the cost, esp if you already owned the encore frame from a rifle or pistol.

2. biking

biking Member

Great idea, I am a TC contender fan and a barrel modified to shoot trap would prove to be an interesting experiment. Hell, it's a single barrel like all the "others" out there. Pop a 34 inch custom barrel on it with a vent rib and give it a try. I like the idea.

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

That would cut H&R's sales from 16 to 12 in a month flat.

4. skeet_man

One of the concerns I've seen raised before would be the overall weight, which, if your making a barrel for it from the ground up, could be tailored for your needs, either through barrel contour or rib material, and it wouldn't be hard to add weight in the butt end to balance it out, I think you could hit 9lbs without even trying...

5. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

there's about 10 different outfits that make custom barrels for TC Contenders and Encores. The going price is around $300-350. A Trap barrel with a choke and rib should be less than a Rifled shotgun barrel with sights on it don't you think?

Randy

6. skeet_man

Barfin- Ya, but about 8" longer...

My only concern with having someone make it for me that isn't familiar with trap guns would be getting the POI right. A rudimentary adjustable rib would solve that problem, i already have ideas, just don't have the machines to make them happen on. For the price point, it wouldn't make sense to have someone like devault or moneymaker put an adjustable rib on...

7. skeet_man

All the encores i've played with had excellent triggers, and if they didn't, they'd be a piece of cake to have a smith work on...

8. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Encore triggers are not easy to work on. I had Pat Laib do one for me and he pretty much told me not to bring another.

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I was going to mention about the triggers being pretty much junk for anything serious, but y'all have beaten me to it.

I took an encore to my 'smith a few years back to have the trigger tweaked. My 'smith is also a friend and he advised me to take my encore with me when I left if we were still to remain friends. That gun found a new home shortly there after.

ss

10. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

ok I go tit a really long extended choke tube!

11. skeet_man

impressive photoshop skills!

12. husker

husker Member

If I could figure out how to transfer my picture files from the old PC to the new McBook, I would attach pics of the Encore I used to start my grandson shooting. I got the 26 inch choked barrel with v-rib and had my local stock artist install a Graco that adjusts for LOP, 360 degree adjustment and an adjustable comb setup

It is heavy enough to let a 10 year old kid shoot one oz loads all day without excessive recoil, and it is SAFE because of having to cock the hammer before shooting. The boy smokes lots of targets with the full choke. It makes a handy try-stock for new shooters (I coach a HS trap team) which helps them understand what a fitted stock can do for their mount and shooting success.

When the kid isn't using it, I just strap on a Bullberry 22 inch .223 varmint rig. The crisp letoff of the trigger seems to minimize the need for a different trigger for two different disciplines (a serious compromise).

Roger Hudson

13. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Not to be a party pooper but wouldn't a nice used BT99 be more useful and about the same money? Or even an 870?

But I'll take one if I can get a release for it at a reasonable price. I'm also looking for a release trigger for my Glock.

14. kenf

kenf Active Member

Mike Bellm is supposed to be the man at Encore trigger work- or at least supplying the parts to do the job yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
encore 12 ga vent rib barrel

encore trap barrel

encore vented rib barrel
tc encore 12 gauge vent rib threaded for sale

tc encore trap barrel

tc pro hunter trap
trap barrel for tc encor
trap barrel thompson encore