1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap barrel for 391?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rivers001, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rivers001

rivers001 TS Member

Hello all,
    I have a Beretta 391 gold sporting that i'd like to start using as my primary gun for trap. I was wondering if I could simply purchase a trap barrel (30 or 32 inches) under the assumption that the trap barrel would have a higher rib than the sporting one, and just put it on there.

Does anyone know if this possible and if so what the cost for one of these barrels would be?

Are there any downsides to doing this?

Thanks,
    Angel

2. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Comparing my 391 field/sporting bbl to my 391 trap bbl. the trap rib is somewhat higher than the sporting. The only real problem you would run into, I think, is that with the low comb stock on the sporting clays gun. you may find the POI (point of impact) of the gun at trap a bit low. A good solution for this would be to have the stock cut for an adjustable comb. Then you could simply raise the comb to adjust the POI for trap, and lower it back again when you switch back to the clays bbl, so I would think the adjustable comb would be the way to go. There are those of course, simply use the same gun for all clay sports and simply adjust their shooting as necessary. My 391 uses both types of bbls, and I do have the stock cut for an adjustable comb. I find this works great when I want to use the gun for multiple sports.

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

its hard to admire in the gunroom - both your sporting 391 and your trap 391
    i agree with other post , that it can be done- but a year from now you,ll own 2 guns anyway- so bite the bullet now - screwin with a gun that treats you well in one sport -man dont change it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. JLJ0422

JLJ0422 TS Member

I have a 390 trap 32"full and 391field, I also was looking for a trap barrel, which I found the best price was 357 at midwest gun works. But they all recommend the montecarlo/parallel stock about 200 as well. so your at around600.I've seen the beretta parallel target at GAT guns in dundee IL for about 850 without as the above post said screwing with a gun thats dialed in.Joe

5. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

what is that saying--"the one with most toys" another gun is a toy(so to speak)-another barrel is a "thing"!!~!

6. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

i did have a 391 sporting that i converted by purchasing a beretta gelpad that i put on my comb, and presto, I had a high shooting gun that broke trap targets all day. The gelpad was $17.00 and might be available from Midwest Gun Works. When I shoot sporting clays, i just take off the pad. FWIW. jm

7. rivers001

rivers001 TS Member

Thank you all for the great input.

-Angel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.