1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

trap and field-is handicap system broken

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

excellent artice in this months trap and field titled The handicap system broken, or even bent. There is alot here i have been saying.

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Just got my latest issue of T&F yesterday and read the article last evening, I agree----excellent article. I agree with most of the points the author makes.

Personally I don't think there's all THAT much wrong with the current Handicap system, that said I think the point about we should utilize the 17 & 18 yard lines is a valid point. I'd envision starting ALL shooters on the 20, then rather than having 'em languish on the 20 for sometimes three or four years til they start getting punches, if they can't shoot competitive scores from the 20 offer 'em reductions to even closer.

I think another idea (altho' not of this author) worth consideration is; if we're gonna' expect shooters to accept reductions offer 'em TWO YARD reductions instead of one. Here's my thinking;

You got some guy (guess who?) that took three or four years to get from the 20 back to the 21 where he's still struggling. So you offer him a reduction back to the 20? Why bother? He's thinking "I might as well stay here on the 21, at least I have the self satisfaction of standing a yard behind where I started and what good's ONE LOUSY YARD gonna' do?", if you'd offer him a reduction from the 21 up to the 19------with the promise of another reduction after 1000 to the 17 if he can't hack it from the 19----? NOW, he might just have 'ta give that some serious thought?

John C. Saubak

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Handicap should be no less than the 24 yd. line.

Increase target speed/angles for all disciples and let's get to some serious competition. If you want fluff targets, go shoot skeet.

Curt

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

discipline...sorry about the spelling error.

Curt

5. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Hey Curt, disciples? Will Jesus be shooting Handicap from the 27? Harry

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Same old crap by the same old posters. Small if you can't handle the current handicap system what makes you think you can handle any changes. Let's make it harder not easier. Quit worrying about someone who doesn't take a reduction, he is hurting no one only his self. If he wants to stay so be it, just somebody else I can beat. Now I just have to work on Curt.

Don

7. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Jeez, not this crap again.

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I think the only thing that maybe broken is a punch for a win with a low score?
    When shooting some small events its not uncommon to see low scores win the 24 or less yardage groups.

9. Iampro-hunting

Iampro-hunting TS Member

They need to get rid of the Y code!!!!

10. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

I'm one that thinks the ATA handicap approach is well balanced. The Trap field article helped put the cap debate into perspective. Would also endorse the authors proposed changes, but not the radical changes some seem to orchestrate. I would never complain if the targets were made tougher.

Maltzie

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

leave the handicap system alone. everything's been tried. works the best it can now.

12. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

I have not seen the T & F article. First who wrote it? Second I totall disagree with what Mr. Roach posted. Our system is outdated to say the least.\

Lampro-Hunting posted. "Get rid of the "Y' Code. Amen Mr. Lampro. But you have to convince a large group of delegates that can't even qualify for the "dreaded Y Code". But they seem to relate to penalizing everyone in the sport for the sake of controlling the "Dreaded Sandbagger". - Jim

13. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

The entire trapshooting community would be better served, if all competitors would abide by the ethical practice of honestly attempting to breaking EVERY target - EVERY shot - EVERY event.

Sadly -- in the "what's in it for ME" society that has flourished for the past 40 years (or so), we have those who choose to "manage" their scores for personal benefit -- to the detriment of others who compete with a sense of fairness and an attitude of bettering themselves.

I see it at every level of competition, from 25-bird leagues to the Grand American.

I am in favor of any (and all) rules or policies created to stem this problem. If a shooter can look at his/her trophy, won by "sand-bagging" -- and feel proud of that accomplishment, I truly feel sorry for YOU.....not the ones you might have cheated in the process.

Our beloved sport tends to attract a better quality of people. To those who elect to degrade its standards, you deserve every H code OR punch for money that you receive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.