1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap and Dental Problems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dbtrap, Oct 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbtrap

dbtrap TS Member

In a discussion with my dentist, he says that fractured roots (requiring a root canal) may be the result of the blunt force trauma that my jaw takes from the years of trapshooting.

Any dentists on this board, or people who have heard similar diagnoses? I am facing a heck of a dental bill.

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

find a Republican dentist...

3. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

If you're shooting such a heavy load that you have to light the fuse before closing the breach and its breaking the roots on your teeth I'm thinking its time to go to a lighter load. Lol. Seriously though, I'd like to hear about this too as I work in a dental lab.

4. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

I grit my teeth a lot especially after dropping the first bird. Wearing them down pretty good these days. But no blunt force trauma, seems like that would take a lot of beating from a gun that does not fit. I would think if it was bad enough to hurt your teeth what is it doing to our brains? Or maybe it is, DuuddDDduuddduhh

CM

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I put mine in my back pocket before shooting. No problems with roots coming loose that way.

GneJ

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Sounds like a crock to me. Bumping your shoulder with a gun stock causes dental damage?

Snopes would probably deny it.

HM

7. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

I shoot a 12 gauge not a 10 gauge to solve that problem.

8. chopperman

chopperman Member

Do you hold the butt of the gun against your chin? If you do not you probably did not fracture roots because of recoil. Just my clinical opinion.

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Guess you could stick a wad of "chaw" in there twixt yer cheek and gum for a cushion. Then, in a couple years, you wouldn't even have any teeth. ;-)

Bob Falfa

10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Some of those who don't shoot shotguns appear to have no clue re. the forces involved. Logic would tell us that if recoil hurt the jaw, well, we could not shoot an event of 100, let alone 25! Any bruising/damage/pain resultant from shooting a shotgun is due to an ill fitting shotgun IMO. Nothing else!

And shotgunning does not cause, unless I am wrong, broken parts in the shoulder, tennis elbow, etc. However, healthy ligaments and tendons and lack of arthritis in the arms and hands is obviously a plus.

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

It sounds like your dentist is planning to buy one of them Butlers,

12. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

It's time for a new dentist

13. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

2 registered trapshooters shot over 1 million registered targets. By this logic neither would have any teeth or all root canals. Don't know for certain as both of these legends are no longer with us. Get a gun that fits and might consider changing dentists. BT100dc

14. chipking

chipking TS Member

Interesting topic. I had major issues with cracked teeth all on the right side. My normal dentist just continued with repair or removals with no comment. Had to go to a substitute dentist for an emergency and his first and only question/observation was "you must grind your teeth but it is usually on both sides" I told him that I had never to my knowledge ground my teeth. Later I asked him if he thought getting smacked on the right cheek by a board well over a quarter million times may cause that sort of problem. His response was "sure could but who did you piss off that bad" Explained that I had many many years of High Power Match competition and Shotgun Sports under that cheek. Guess we will see. The teeth are all gone now and the dentures are in.

--- Chip King ---

15. larrystrollo

larrystrollo Member

Not sure why folks would totally dismiss this. I had a poorly fitting gun that I know for a fact caused some serious jaw issues.

16. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

larrystrollo : I think we all agree that a poor fitting gun could do just about any damage to your head. I have seen shooters with scabs on their cheeks by the end of the summer, and they were still shooting making them bleed. Not a stretch to think it would go internal. But it would have to be a really bad fit, and as they say "No brain no pain"

CM

17. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

It would have to be highly unlikely but possible. I once had a BT-99 hit me so hard I had a black eye. I know for myself in long shoots when you shoot 400-1000 shots the cheek gets a little sore. Most of the time the gun will rest on the cheek and the roots of the teeth will end a little short and below the cheekbone. It really can be possible but would have to do with some factors: 1) dental hygene (if your teeth are taken care of they will be stronger and less likely to break) 2) Heredity (some of us are just geneticly predisposed to soft or brittle teeth.) My specialty lies in equine dentistry and I have NEVER had a patient with cracked roots from shooting a shotgun! YET oscar

18. shrek

shrek Active Member

dds4horse,

if ever one of your patients does take up shotgun shooting, please share a picture with us :)

19. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

haha I may just be their target...

20. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Oscar:

You've come a long way since that broken BT99 tightened your eye.

Keep after Harlan and Livin' Large!

[​IMG]

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.