1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap and Baseball- Boring?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Big Heap, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

From the New York Times. Originally, Trapshooting and Baseball were both covered by the Sportsman's Review predecessor to T&F. Maybe both sports are suffering from the same malady.

When I was a kid, I loved baseball more than anything, and I’m afraid I mean that literally — more than my family, my friends, even more than my dog. If given the opportunity, I would have played baseball 24 hours a day. And when I couldn’t play it, I would watch it on T.V.
    Now I can barely sit through a whole inning of a game on T.V.
    Judging from the World Series T.V. ratings for the past 40 years — they’ve slipped from a 22.8 rating/57 share in 1968 to 10.6 rating/18 share in 2007 — I am not alone.
    Why? Maybe I and a lot of people have adult-onset A.D.D. and need more stimulation than baseball can offer. Maybe there are just too many other forms of entertainment. Or maybe the game is just too boring.
    Is it more boring than it was in 1968?
    No, but it hasn’t changed much since then either. If you are a traditionalist, which I am in many ways, this could be good news. But since sport is entertainment, you have to keep in mind that people get bored watching the same game play out every day.
    Football and basketball may be more innately exciting than baseball, but just as important, they’ve also changed a lot over the past 40 years. They are full of innovation.
    What is baseball’s biggest innovation of the past 40 years? Steroids maybe. Or the specialization of the pitching staff (yawn).
    You may not like all the changes in other sports, but it does keep things interesting. Baseball, meanwhile — well, if you have watched enough of it, you know exactly what’s coming at just about any point in the game. You can predict what the manager will do in a given situation. You can predict what the commentators will say after the play.
    Darren Everson has written a nice piece in the Wall Street Journal about how a few baseball managers are trying some new things, however marginal. Here are a few examples from Everson’s piece:
    1) Having a relief pitcher play the outfield for a batter or two and then come back in and pitch; this gets around the archaic substitution rules — you can’t take a pitcher out of the game and bring him back in — while still letting you practice situational pitching.
    2) Putting an infield shift even on a right-handed batter like Vladimir Guerrero, which means asking any of the three infielders who might field the ball to make a long throw to first.
    3) If bad weather is forecast, don’t waste your starting pitcher; instead, start a bullpen pitcher. More broadly, use relievers to start the game but have them pitch only a few innings, bringing in your “starter” to finish the game off, including innings eight and nine.
    4. Have your pitcher bat eighth instead of ninth so your ninth-place hitter can set things up for the top of the lineup.
    I particularly like what Bill James had to say in Everson’s article about why most managers do the same thing in baseball:
    “A blunder by a manager is a move that is A) unconventional, B) doesn’t work, and C) occurs at a moment of focus in the game,” says Bill James, senior baseball-operations adviser with the Boston Red Sox. “If you put those three things together, you have a blunder. As long as you do what’s conventional, you won’t be accused of a blunder.”
    While none of the above examples are earth-shattering, they’d certainly make the game a bit more fluid and fun to watch. I am guessing that you all can come up with at least a few dozen other potential changes, including rule changes, that would make baseball better without damaging its great tradition.
    A lot of these changes might not have to do with how the game is played but rather how it is presented on T.V.; the long commercial break between each half-inning, for instance, is a gilded invitation to go watch something else.
    I understand that the game is the game and that you don’t want to start installing trampolines in the outfield, for instance. But aren’t there some things that could be done to make people like me who used to love the game want to watch it again?

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I have little interest in watching Gillionaires mostly stand around while playing a kid's game.

3. La Leyenda

La Leyenda TS Member

I still love both sports. Go Red Sox and heres to great weather at the Inland Empire. See you at the HI-YU's

Bob

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I love baseball.

If you have adult onset ADD, go watch arena football.

5. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

In sports, there is a vast difference between watching and playing.

Are you a "doer" or a "watcher"?

There are three kinds of people in the world: Those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder what happened. And I think that we are all a little of each, eh?

6. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I still love the game of baseball. In fact I will be attending a game in Yankee Stadium this weekend.

Last year baseball set an attendance record so they must be doing something right. Try to get tickets at some of these venues: Yankee Stadium, Boston, Wrigley, St.Louis if you can get a ticket it is in the nose bleed section. To get a decent ticket you have to go to a scalper or Stubhub.

As far as TV ratings, it might be because baseball plays every day. If I miss todays game, I can catch the game tomorrow or the day after, or every day for that matter. If I miss the football game Sunday I will have to wait another week to catch the game, so I better make time to watch it.

8 teams get into the playoffs now in baseball. Well if all the series goes the max # of games that means 41 games will be played. Kinda of takes the specialness of the playoffs away since there are so many. I like ice cream but I don't want 5 gallons.

Saying all that some of the games are hard to watch. I still prefer to listen to the game on radio. Some of these pitchers take forever. All the reliefers work from the strecth even without runners on. Some of these clowns will throw over to 1st base even though the runner hasn't stolen a base in 3 years. The strike zone is smaller now and every hitter seems to get to a 3-2 count. Less foul ground at these new stadiums so fewer hitters foul out anymore, and they get more swings.

I love to watch Greg Maddoux pitch. The hitters know he is going to throw strikes and they are swinging and the game moves along.

I still love it though. Can't wait till this weekend. A hotdog and beer at the house that Ruth built.

7. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

i was eighty three yesterday and i have never been to a ball game, too boring for me.i like action like moving parts, noise and burning gas, etc.

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

watch ahhh NO play YES

9. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I love baseball too.

I'm not crazy about sitting and watching a whole game on t.v. but just having it on in the background I really enjoy.

Some of the announcers are just great to listen too. Bert Blyleven and the guys doing the Twins on FSN, Pat Hughs and Ron Santo covering the Cubs, and Bob Uecker doing the Brewers. All great to listen to.

I love watching it in person. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow...

10. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

WAY better in 68. Stand and watch a homer off Gibson, Drysdale, Koufax-next time up the ball is gonna be in your ear hole(lesson learned?)-can't do that no more.. Strike zone is WAY too small.Designated hitter?OMG...

Watch a batter step out to adjust his batting gloves(batting gloves????) after every pitch. Yech!

Don't care that Linus is hitting .750 against Charlie Brown with runners in scoring position and less than 2 out over his last 47 at-bats.
    Intensely dislike watching and hate listening to a ballgame. BTW Ron Santo SUCKS as an announcer!

Larry

11. DJM

DJM Member

The umpires have got to start calling strikes.

12. Blakester

Blakester TS Member

I've got to tell you about last year at the Grand,after my Son shot at noon we drove to St.Louis to watch the Cardinals and Padres play ball I still get a thrill from watching a game in person but can't hardly watch one on t.v. ....
    Ricky

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I love watching the Braves on TV. I watch the 1st inning sleep until the 7th, then enjoy the 8th & 9th. Baseball hitting and trap have a lot in common: Hit a moving target with a moving device. The wind in trap serves as the curve, slider, and sinker, at least at the 27. The two things I've loved and are the constants in my life are Baseball and Trap Shooting.

14. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Big Heap, there's no way trapshooting, or in fact anything I can think of, could be as boring as the text you posted. Did anyone actually get to the end? Did it get any better?

Neil

15. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

It's a new day for those we wish to attract to the sport. The non-registered events that attract shooters to club, league and Indian shoots should be considered for inclusion in serious competition.

16. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

In a word, "YES" unless you are playing.

17. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

With the price of gas and shells/lead it will be interesting to see how well the turnout is for registered shoots this year particularly at Sparta. Because of this I am seeing two of my favorites suffer.

On another note, last Sunday I pulled the trigger for the first time in two years. All because of heart and hip problems. I can't begin to tell you how good it felt, how nice the comraderie(sp) was and the great smell of burned gun powder.

18. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I don't like the way baseball is shown on TV these days. With all the high tech stuff you really don't get to see the play but just part of it. It's just too zoomed into the players now. It's been this way for a long time now and I don't like watching unless actually at a game live. No comment on watching trapshooting. It's something I like to do not watch.

19. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

"I don't like the way baseball is shown on TV these days. With all the high tech stuff you really don't get to see the play but just part of it."

That's for sure! TV coverage is awful, with all the blabber from the commentators. And the cut-aways to more blabber to other commentators is annoying. I miss the old low-tech camera shots where you could see the whole infield, and often the whole field, so you could see what the base-runners were doing.

But wait! There is some hope. It's call the mute button. With the screen score/count boxes they use today, there's no reason to listen to anything. Mute and watch, and enjoy.

20. Guy

Guy Member

For those that say baseball is boring.....you just don't know what you're supposed to be looking at.....you ever think about how a pitcher gets a ball to move like that? Have you tried to do it?

I'll admit, an hour after the game is over, I probably couldn't tell you who played who, and what the score was......for me, it's all about the play of the game. I gotta know the count on every pitch, how he pitched to the batter in his last at-bat, and don't speak to me.....I gotta know what pitch is working today, the batters tendencies, defensive positioning, and I'm really PO'd they don't show me the sign on every pitch....I want to know how that pitcher is throwing what he's supposed to.

One more thing....it seems that in every game, you see something you never saw before.....and most times, you won't know the most important play of the game until the game is over.

One of the best baseball movies nobody has ever seen is Cooperstown, with Alan Arkin and Graham Greene.....in it there is a saying.....goes like this:

Baseball is completely zen.

It is the ultimate test of patience, skill, and tactics.

In it, momemtum is balanced by fate.

Kinda describes my trap shooting too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap is boring

trap shooting is boring