1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap and a 20 GA?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bodybuilder, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Has anyone ever broke any good scores in practice or anything shooting a 20 ga? And why can you not shoot a 20 ga with 7/8 oz loads as consistently as a 12 with the same load? Thanks

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

You can shoot a good score with a .410 if the shooter does what the shooter is supposed to do so why couldn't you shoot a good score with a 20ga?

The answer is yes you can if you do what your supposed to do so go out and have fun and show them 12ga shooters a thing or 2 ... that is as long as you do what your supposed to do.

3. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Three weeks ago I shot a 21/25 and a 23/25 from the 20 yard line using a 20 GA choked mod. This was using standard 7/8 oz loads from WallyMart. I don't shoot any better with my 12 and often worse so go figure.

4. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I have a friend that breaks all 25 on a wobble trap with a 20ga and a .410 very often so like it has been said its the indian not the arrow.

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

If you go back a few years Brad Dysinger shot a 20 ga. one season or major part of a season, ATA registered, and broke an average I believe of 97+ from the 16 yd line. Can you or I do it? Probably not.

Don

6. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Don ... yes you, I or anyone could do it if we put our minds to it and practiced.

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Use that 20 gauge. Then when we get in a shootoff, I'll have the advanage before we start. Don't put yourself at a disadvanage, use the max allowed.

8. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I think the ATA should have a 20 ga division where that was all you were allowed to shoot, 27 yard handicap averages would be interesting.

9. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I can shoot 25's at skeet and trap with my 12 but I can also shoot them with my 20. I shoot the same scores at sporting clays with both guns. I prefer to shoot my 20 gauge. Lighter recoil, cheaper reloads and a slimmer more responsive gun. I use my 20 gauge for all my hunting now. Not just the quail and doves but the ducks, pheasants. With the heavier than lead nontox loads I even take geese with it. I killed my last 3 turkeys with my 20 and hevishot. A 12 is a LITTLE better, but not much. A 20 is more fun.

10. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I shot wobble trap from the 27 yard line Wednesday with a 28 ga and shot a 13 and was really proud of myself until I saw some of the scores you guys shoot with a 20 ga. I usually shoot a 23 from the 16. I know, I have a long way to go but it was fun anyway. Jackie B.

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

took 2nd place at 20g night with a 49/50 browning XT IM choke, chambermate installed. used federal heavy field loads 7/8oz 7.5s

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Since my return to Trap shooting after shoulder surgery, I have been shooting practice with a 20ga 1100. My scores are 23's 24's 22's. Not shabby and right now it's as heavy a gun as I can effectively swing.

13. 5spd

5spd TS Member

I actually shoot better with my Win. 1400 20 ga. full choke @ 16 yds than with my Berettea o/u, mod choke. I shot 25-25-24-25 with it last weekend with feds 7/8 oz. load, and with my 12 ga. I went 24-23-21-23 with feds 1 oz load.

I dont know why I do better with it, but it seems the trend the last 4x out.

14. vatrap

vatrap Member

I watched Raffelle shoot a 97 9n 16s at the Richmond with a 28 gauge pigeon gun (28 gauge barrels on a 12 gauge frame)a while back in an ATA event, just proves it's the wizard not the wand.

Mike

15. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Show offs! About 25 years ago I watched an old skeet shooter shoot skeet with a .22 rimfire and no he didn't get all of them maybe 16 0r 18 I asked him if he had ever done it at trap and he said the best he shot was a 11 I guess trap might be harder but it goes to show; you can point them pretty close.
    Joe goldberg

16. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

20 ga can be loaded up to 7/8oz and 1oz loads. I would think that a 20ga set up like a similar 12 ga (under single, etc.), and properly choked, would be a great trap gun.

What people shoot now, are probably field and skeet guns. Set up two Brownings, say on the BT-99 frame, and you could probably get a very good comparison.

Right now, I'm loading up 1oz loads for 16yds, and they smoke the targets just like 1 1/8 oz loads. As VATRAP noted, it's the wizard, not the wand.

A few weeks back, I attended Kay Ohye's two-day class in Michigan. The second day, he had us back at the 27yd line, four extra turns on the machine, lower launch angle, and putting the targets out there at about 55 yards. The drill was to shoot 3 from each station, to help give an idea of target acquisition and variation.

I started on station 2, using regular 1 1/8 oz loads of #8 shot. After three stations and nine shots, I was six for nine. Not bad, since I'm a 20yd handicap. I miscounted, and discovered I only had some 1 oz loads left in my pocket. Oh well, I used those and shot six out of six on stations five and one. Now, I didn't go nuts and ask Kay to sponsor me; but the epiphany was, that it's all about centering the target, and staying on the gun.

Granted, my experience is only anecdotal, but the point came across clearly.

Best,
    Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
20 ga for trap

trap shooting with a 20 ga