1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TRAP: A Learning Process!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by biff, Jul 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

A friend and I was talking recently about how much more we now know about shooting targets than we did last year! It would appear if you know more and have made an effort to learn how to shoot better.....your scores should rise in accordance with this new knowledge. It seems to me I am not only learning from new ideas, but for the life of me, I keep learning the same things from the same mistakes of the past. I just wonder if anyone else that shoots trap feels the same?

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Biffer, repeating the same mistakes over and over isn't a part of the learning process my friend!

I think the trick is to learn from those mistakes and change something that led to it in the first place? A lot of trapshooters are hard of hearing and some more hardheaded than a Missouri mule! They will change everything and anything, except their mind? Some guys try to totally forget a mistake thinking of it as a negative but I feel differently about that. If we don't learn from our mistakes and rely only on our successes, there's a long hard road ahead to shooting consistent scores!

Hap

3. biff

biff Active Member

Hap, you don't repeat them over and over on purpose, during the process somewhere along the activity, you realize you are: raising your head,moving the gun with the eyes,shooting the wrong load, made a change to the gun that you shouldn't and so on! Those kinds of things are repeatable and you are right, you musta never learned your lesson in the first place.

"It's not the destination, but the journey getting there which can be the pleasure(or pain)! I'm a thinker and a tinkerer and have bought more guns and gagdets than most....when I'm not shooting, I'm usually thinking about shooting and how I can be/get better. Snapshot says I think too much about shooting and should do like most shooters do....pick up my gun and go shoot! Quit thinking about shooting especially when on the line, maybe she's partly right. Learning to shut off the mind on the line might be a good thing.

Some of the things I've learned is: shoot one gun, stay with one load,get the gun to fit,get the gun to shoot where you are looking, get in shape, where to hold and how to look at the targets. Trap is simple, we make it hard, right! Biff

4. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Above are the best reasons I have heard yet for using a coach ?????? Bark away...

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Hap, My Mother did come from Missour-eh so maybe I'm more stubborn than I realized. I just assumed that it's because I'm dumb as a rock that I am unable to shake my bad habits. This would be funny if it wasn't so true.LOL. Shoot often while we can, Bob

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Repeating the same mistakes over and over?-------Trap is really a pretty simple game, there's just three or four fundamentals & if you consistently apply those few fundamentals you should never miss a target. So.......we HAVE TO repeat the same mistakes over and over, if we didn't we'd all shoot perfect scores every time and the shootoffs would last forever.

John C. Saubak

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Biff, I didn't post any comments on your other thread about cross-firing being a myth but I will state here that I have deliberately gotten away from the notion that I can shoot good scores by totally ignoring the bead and just hard focusing on the target only. I shot pretty good two years ago, broke 200 straight and was in Class AA and stayed on the 27 for a few honorary punches, then I went into a slump last year and most of this short target year. I was experimenting with gun holds and a different barrel and trying to compensate for visual problems. Things are finally looking better for me because I have gone back to the basics of the style that I learned from Daro Handy which is to shoot with a bird/bead relationship a 'sight picture' and NOT trying to shoot on 'instinct' alone. I never look AT THE BEAD but I look right through it and I don't have a center bead to bead check with. My experience seems totally opposite of yours.

8. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Biff,

My friend, as usual I am generally on the same page as you. I enjoy the trap shooting experience as it is a learning experience, every time out. I think once the basics are in hand, gun fit, etc. it is a matter of practice and applying what you have learned. The biggest limiting factors, IMHO, are eye sight and reflexes. Like you, I have bought and sold many, many guns, barrels, stocks...You can't buy a target. I am happy with my DT10 and my PFS stocks. Now, it is all about ME and how well I can concentrate and apply, over and over, the basics. I am never going to be a AAA27AAA shooter and I am happy with that. I have made good friends, enjoyed traveling to shoots and consider the Gold Medal in the Police Olympics I won (with my one and only 100 straight) a real highlight in my life. Let's have fun...

JON

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Forgetting health problems, most of my problems shooting trap is not seeing my targets with enough INTENSITY focused on each and every target! Looking at and seeing a whole target sailing through the air is far different than seeing it with intensity! I feel we take our vision to see for granted and wind up with a lazy look? When we do that, all sorts of other problem raise their ugly heads! bead checking,using the left eye because it has a better view of the target, a flinch because the data store says "the picture isn't correct" and a whole host of other things.

Like the old cowboy and others have said, we make the game much more complicated than necessary! What's the differences between seeing and seeing an object with intensity? It keeps your mind occupied on a specific purpose, not allowing those other thoughts to interfere in the process my thought!! My shooting averages on my handicaps say it's all about the eyes seeing the clay with eye intensity. That's a lot tougher to do than say for sure on a hundred targets!

Miketmx, I shoot the same way, or try if my eyes will co-operate with me 100 times! It's different strokes for different folks in how we use our sight.

Hap

10. biff

biff Active Member

Responders, thanks for joining in....I didn't want this to be an autobiographical account of my learning to shoot trap. The reason I have been part of TS.Com was so I could learn more about Trapshooting as I do feel we can learn from each other and each others mistakes. When I started I knew alot less than I do at this point(now I know I still don't know everything). I used to get very frustrated when someone would post information on here I felt would help me and then there would be a group of detractors would attack the suggestions offered and any ideas people had would not be made public on here anymore. Sorry to say it's still that way and it seems there are topics which aren't related to sharing good ideas which could help your scores. There are many threads on here I don't open as they are of little value as far as learning something beyond fundamentals and by the same token, I'm sure many people don't open Biff threads. Bob as far as getting a coach, where I am it would be somewhat difficult and expensive(yes, I know the arguments to that)and isn't a route I want to take. All I am doing is pushing my envelope to see what my potential is as far as being successful, knowing I have given my full measure toward a desired goal. Thanks, Biff

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do continue to make the same mistakes. I have practiced making these mistakes for many years and I am now very good at them.

Pat Ireland

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Biff: We are all in pursuit of perfection but few ever achieve it. As I age I think the journey is better than the goal. Without the pursuit I would have never found the many new friends I have met along the way. The older I get the further the goal seems somedays but you know what? I am still chasing it and so are you my friend. The best to you and I will see you at the Grand.

Don

13. biff

biff Active Member

Don, It was a pleasure to have a coffee and good discussion with you at the Indiana Shoot. Congratulation for your High Overall Non Resident win there, hope to see you in the winners circle at the Grand! John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.