1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Transporting trap guns to Canada

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JRW, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRW

JRW Member

A couple years ago I went to Ontario to shoot. I had two trao guns with me and stopped on U.S. side in Michigan to register them. It took 2 hours in line. Canada side no problem. Is there any way to register guns before getting to the border. Say an international airport. Any info appreciated. Jerry in MI.

2. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Jerry if you have a customs office near you go to it and take the gun also. Tell them you want to register a gun and fill out a Customs Form 4457. This also is a good idea if you take an expensive camera abroad. It is a certificate of registration for personal effects taken abroad issued by Dept of Homeland Security, U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Whenever I buy a long gun I take it down and get it registered. Sure make it a lot easier when traveling abroad with the gun and coming back into the country. There is no charge for this.

3. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

After you have the cert. take it to office dept or some place and get it laminated. Holds up lot better

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Bringing Firearms Into Canada

http://www.losttarget.com/firearmcanada.html

Any US customs station/agent can sign your Customs Form 4457. Yes, International Airports and the like. I would call first. Check the yellow pages for government agencies.

By the way, once a firearm(s) is recorded on the form, the form is good as for as long as it is legible. If you have the same firearms from your last departure from the US and kept the Customs Form, your good to go and don't have to stop at US customs prior to leaving the USA.

5. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Yes there is Jerry. Here in the Northwest we have Customs agents at seaports, large marinas, and of course airports. Find a small office in your Gov't. pages and call ahead. I declared some shotguns over 10 years ago at a small downtown office and that declaration is still valid today. Hardest part was getting away from the agent, he was an avid duck hunter!

6. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Shawn, it is the same Jerry. I convinced him that he has to come over for the Canadian in St. Thomas (June 2011). Do you want to shoot doubles with us again? Bill Malcolm

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

If you scroll down to the bottom of the posted page, "Bringing Firearms Into Canada" you will see additional information, such as Insurance Identification card.

Travel in Canada

http://www.losttarget.com/firearmcanada.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.