1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Transporting Stock in Luggage?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blackfoot, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Just called TSA about transporting a stock(only) in my checked luggage. I want to take my stock to a shoot to have it worked on and will be transporting my gun as checked luggage in the locked case etc as I have done before.

Right now TSA is researching an answer- they don't know if I can put a stock in my luggage!

Anyone have any experiance with traveling w/ a stock? Thanks

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

It's a piece of wood. What do they have to research?
    Steve Balistreri

3. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

If you do carry it in your luggage, make sure you put something in between the two sides of the front of the stock (the gap where it fits to the receiver) to prevent them from being crushed. I know a guy who put a stock in his luggage and when he arrived at his destination one of the two sides had been broken due to rough handling of his luggage.

4. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

No problem in checked baggage, I carried one on board once. The TSA dummie wasn't too sure so she called a supervisor who had enough of a brain to realize that it was harmless.

5. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

When dealing with TSA agents keep in mind that they wear head sets or ear phones with "breathe in/breathe out recordings.

Buz

6. hot springs

hot springs TS Member

TSA stands for "Thousands Standing Around". I'll bet no two could come up with the same answer to your question.

7. kolar1

kolar1 TS Member

Don't do it-tried to take a forearm,in carry on luggage,was picked up by screener,had a heck of a experience explaining it-according to TSA no part of a firearm,can be in carry on,because parts can be assembled aboard aircraft to complete the assembly.

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

As above...

Depends on who is doing the screening on determining a firearm part. Make sure you get it in writting and carry it with you if you get a favorable ruling.

Not all Screeners nor border crossing agents work by the same rule book. Ask Canadians who have to tap dance at times when crossing the border (with the correct paperwork).

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Do they scan checked bags? I thought most airports do not have scanning equipment for checked baggage.

Jim Skeel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.