1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Transporting an O/U on a Harley

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Acer, Mar 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acer

Acer TS Member

Have a Harley Dyna wide glide, would like to occassionly ride it to gun club. Have saddle bags to carry shells and gear, but wonder if you guys have a tip to carry gun such as a breakdown case etc. What type of case would you use and how do you attach it? Thanks for your input. Johnny Whidden

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

First time biker? Luggage rack and 100 bungee cords. Lol Bill

3. harleypilot

harleypilot Member

I have taken my Beretta Gold Trap Combo in its breakdown case on my Road King.
    I just bungied the case to the passenger seat and backrest, and carried the shells etc. in the saddlebags.

Jim

4. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

I have a canvas case made for skeet shooters with tubes to carry. It will carry receiver, 2 barrels, 3 sets of tubes if needed and miscellaneous items such as grease and chokes. I bungee the case to the rear seat, luggage rack or on top of the pizza box. Check with places like Gander and Bass Pro for starters.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I take my Harley to the club and the wife brings the pickup with our guns

6. GoldWing

GoldWing TS Member

I lay my O/U breakdown case across the passenger seat of my Goldwing with 1 bungee strap on each side and it's good to go. On a Harley you'll probably need several straps on each end or it'll surely shake it loose before you get to the trap range.

7. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Gold Wing - You're probably right!

8. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

I remember throwing lime helping set up an offroad (desert) course. Carried 100 lbs. of lime in little sacks all thrown into a paper boy's shoulder sack..so I guess any quality backpack would do with a broken down trapgun inside.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Rudy came home from league night on the Harley with the 870 across the seat behind him. all was well till he went between the cars in the driveway.

result: broken 870 stock and 200 dollars worth of spotlights.

Moral: leave yourself a note if you're going to have a few after league.

HM

10. HOT-HAMMER

HOT-HAMMER TS Member

Anyone see the movie Terminator, Schwarzenegger had no problem carrying a shotgun on a motorcycle, even shot it a few times....I have been thinking of having a basket or bracket made to mount where the bag would go, so a case can be mounted it by straps. Shells can be placed in a bag on the other side of bike to balance the weight (my case and gun weigh 37 lb.) My Harley gets 55 mpg and it combines two things I like to do...Rick

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Trade the Wide Glide in on a Street Glide. Then buy a detachable Tour Pack with a luggage rack. Better ride for your better half and your gun. Sometimes you have make sacrifices.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have a Yamaha 1100 sport. It's the same size as a Fat Boy. I just stick my break down gun case in the saddle bag and Bungie cord to the sissy bar. No problem. And the bike gets 55 mpg.

13. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Earlier this month I rode my full dresser from N. of Daytona to the Silver dollar with my XT Combo in the Browning case. I just put it where a fat girl would ride and used tie downs in a criss-cross fashion and it didn't move a bit. Had no problems and never got a second look, but at 80 MPH I guess I didn't give them a chance to get much of a first look! LOL.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

If you ride a Honda, be careful. The fumes from the rice based fuel will remove blueing and stock finish.

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Your gun is safe on a Harley, the oil spray will make a good rust preventative.

HM

16. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

You can always tell the guys who wish they had a Harley, look at the comments.

17. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Obviously GoldWing has not ridden a dyna. My Dyna WG is smoother than my goldwing was once you got off idle. The new rubber mounted engine trannies are very smooth and they DONT leak oil anymore.

18. flylta

flylta TS Member

Strap in on your back and ride.

I bet less people will cut you off with the barrels point up over your shoulder.

Most places you are still allowed to carry without a permit as long as the gun is visible....

My F-in-L rides and uses a backpack to carry to the range.

19. dbl20

dbl20 TS Member

H. A. members don’t like it when independents wear their colors. Just use a loop style sling, or the pork chop soft case. J. S.

20. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I was gonna suggest the same thing "flylta" commented on - get a nice "leg-o-mutton" type case or Boyt take down case and wear it as a back pack (now, I have no idea how that would feel) - just a thought.

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.