1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Transport gun from home in NJ to range in NY?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Anyone know about transporting a trap gun in a car from a home in NJ to a trap range in NY?

Plaxico Burris just got two years mandatory for a handgun and I am wondering if transport/possession of a trap gun would be any different?

2. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Long rifle. Should be no beef. Just keep it in the trunk unloaded, you will be fine. Don't tell them unless they ask.

3. Bushmaster1313

Forgot to say that transport would be to the public trap range in Staten Island which is in New York City, and it would not be part of an NRA event.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Bushmaster1313

New York City has some registration requirements for long guns too. Handguns are an absolute no no. It's been a long time since I lived there, but not much has changed. They Don't Like ANY Guns in the hands of normal citizens. I'd call the NYPD and see what they tell you. Be sure to get the name of the person you talk to. The New York State Rifle and Pistol Association and NYPD have a little info online also. Here are a couple of urls to check out.:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/permits/permits.shtml

http://www.nysrpa.org/nygunlaws.htm

The Phone Number for the Rifle and Shotgun Licensing department is:

Rifle Shotgun Section

718-520-9300

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

While I cannot recall the law's number, there is interstate transportation legislation which allows the interstate transportation of your personal firearms from destination to destination... NJ/NY would qualify...

regards all,

Jay

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

spitter

That federal law would pertain to interstate commerece and it should not apply when someone's destination is within NY. If you were passing trough, you could claim that federal law allows you to transport a firearm, provided it is cased and locked in the trunk or other case. If you take the firearm out of it's case and intend to use it within NY, you need to be aware that the rules may have changed once you do. The best recourse is to consult an attorney, but the state rifle and pistol association might have some information and guidance. Asking the evil empire of the NYPD might offer their take on it, since they would be the ones that would respond or make a case out of it.

There's a reason I don't live there anymore. It's well over $200 to register a rifle or shotgun in NYC. Handguns are worse yet.

7. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I know this is the wrong state but I wouldn't try getting by in MASS. while flashing copies of that law.

8. spitter

No... from the NRA-ILA website, its talking about possession of personally owned firearms. Paraphrasing... it allows individuals to transport firearms from one destination interstate to another under the assumption that at either end, the individual in question has a legal right to possess.

So if you're alleging that a NJ (or other out-of-state resident) resident doesn't have the legal right to possess in NY to attend a trapshoot, skeet event etc... then you may be correct in that it may not apply.

But from the text, it does not appear to have anything to do with interstate commerce.

Respectfully,

Jay

9. Bushmaster1313

Problem is that I do not KNOW that I as a NJ resident without a NYC permit would be allowed under NY law to possess the shotgun in NYC at the destination.

If I knew that the Federal law would, I think, protect my transport between NJ and NY.

Do you think terrorists and dope smugglers worry about the niceties of such law? NOT!

10. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Just another reason why New York City should be a separate state since that commie oriented Bloomberg will probably remain Mayor for a long time. Larry

11. 682LINY

682LINY Member

I live on long island,,,,,,,like another country from NY City,who I work for,,,,but shoot often at staten island,,,,,,,,dont ask dont tell,,,,but it mite not be a good idia to have any NRA or ATA stickers on the car,,,,regaurdless ,,,have it unloaded and ammo separete from gun,,,,and gun in locked case,,,these will get you thru NY legle,,,mite help to have a print out of the club from ATA site or clay targets online,,,,,I have a file case with all the clubs I regulary shoot at ,,the derictions to club,,,and shoot scudules,,,this proves reason for transporting gun,,,,and if it a registerd shoot ,,,have the program,,,this works for driving and flying

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Best thing to do is head south.....

or west

Curt

13. JEB

JEB Active Member

I also live on Long Island and have probably brought a trap gun through New Jersey and back 200+ times. Never had any type of problem. To the best of my knowledge both senarios, NJ to NY and NY to NJ are perfectly legal. Keep the gun in a case.

Incidentally I am 68 years old and have never had a car searched by the police.

JEB

14. 682LINY

682LINY Member

for the record,,,before working for the city,,,was pulled over rt 80 NJ State Troppers,,a little fast,,mossy 500 12 ga pistol grip in the trunk,,told them i had a gun,,took a look,,,thanks and have a nice day,,this was 1986

15. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Bloomberg is the problem he is one of the most anti gun people out there and he is the NYC Mayor and filthy rich with an agenda to kill gun ownership a formidable enemy.

Plaxico is doing 2 years because he broke the law in NY. It is the law there and he broke it but he did not hurt or shoot anyone but himself by accident but it is a high profile case and that is just what people like Bloomberg want make an example out of him.

I have a dislike people like for Mayor Bloomberg if ever there was a place for a conceled carry permit NYC is second only to LA in my opnion.

I like visiting NYC very much as I grew up 30 minutes from the Lincoln tunnel and spent lots of time in the city as a young man.

16. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

There have to be many NJ shooters who shoot at Staten Island and carry their guns in the trunk with no problems. Call the club and ask if you have any doubts.

Eric

17. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Maybe New Yawk can dream up something like Canada. This sounds like something Bloomberg would love.

"T.O. police seize 400 guns in 'Safe City' project
    Updated: Tue Sep. 22 2009 12:49:44 PM

ctvtoronto.ca

The latest crime prevention project by Toronto police took aim at registered gun owners who opted to give up their firearms.

Police have seized about 400 guns since March after knocking on the doors of registered firearm owners.

Many of these owners had their guns stashed in the closet or in a drawer though a condition of their registration mandates that all firearms are securely stored.

Police did not lay any charges but seized hundreds of weapons.

"I think we've created a safer situation," said Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair. "This is very much an anti-violence measure. This is very much intended to prevent crime and make our city safer."

Blair told a news conference Tuesday afternoon that 30 per cent of guns taken off the streets from criminals have been stolen from registered gun owners.

About 70 per cent of firearms are smuggled in from the U.S. he said.

On average, police seize about two illegal guns a day.

Since January, 259 people have been shot, according to the latest police statistics. That is up from last year which saw 223 shooting victims.

Of the 259 people shot in 2009, statistics show 23 people died from their injuries."

18. spitter

A quick search offered 18 USCS, Section 926A...

regards all,

Jay

19. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

At one point, I was told that there had been police in the parking lot at the Staten Island Sportsmen's Club checking for trigger locks. This was in spite of the fact that the gun was cased, taken down and in the trunk. I can't swear to the truth of this but I trust the person who told me.

I go there occasionally from NJ and have never had a problem. I think that, if the story is true, the enforcement has simply gone away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to transport pistol to range in nys

transporting a shotgun in nj

transporting a shotgun to ranges in nj from out of state

transporting a trap gun in new york state

transporting a trap shooting shotgun from ct to fl

transporting gun into ny from nj

transporting shotgun nj

transporting trapshooting guns for trapshooting contest