1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TRANSMISSION QUESTION Any mechanics?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by DENNISMASTROLIA1, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

My 1996 Chevy Tahoe in which I replaced the tranny five years ago(maybe 30,000 miles since) developed a loudness and I noticed that the rpm's were up a small amount when driving up a long incline on the interstate.Then the "service engine soon " light came on.I took the vehicle to my regular mechanic and the code came back as 1870-valve body in the tranny.I decided to call the guys that replaced the tranny a few years ago and have an appointment with them this Thursday.My question is --What can I expect for costs to fix this?Is it worth it? I do not want to purchase anything "new" . What is a "reasonable" price to fix this Detroit junk? Many thanks,Dennis Mastrolia. 781-910-0313.

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

"Don't listen to my brotha...here's my advice...take your cah out back, throw a match in the gas tank, and set it on fiah!!!" yuk yuk yuk...'cause that's the only hope you have! yuk yuk yuk...but seriously...

4. angryman7

angryman7 TS Member

1870 is a transmission component slipping. one fix is removing and cleaning the valve body not too bad cost wise

5. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

Being an overdrive tranny, it may be pretty costly. If it's just a valve body, the tranny can stay in to fix it. But if it's something more it could cost around $1,500 to be rebuilt, It also could be the coverter, which wouldn't be too bad as long as it hasn't junked anything else. Hope this helps

Smokey

6. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

This is a convertor slip, not the transmission. You probably felt a shudder when this happened and if it happens in the future, just tap the brake pedal to disengage the convertor and it will go away. If when it tries to lock again the shudder returns and it's not a random occurance, then you need to do something.

How long since the oil/filter has been changed? I would do this first, but it should be changed at least every 12K miles, more if towing, and never let it go over 18 months.

There is a valve (TCC-Clutch) in the valve body that directs applied pressure----the steel valve wears a slot in the aluminum body and it hangs on that slot, keeping it from sending all the pressure it's supposed to.

There's several ways to fix it, I prefer the Sonnax repair where they ream the bore, install a SS sleeve and new valve/spring, it's a done deal from now on after that. Superior has a similar fix. I'd find a trans shop that's equipped to do the fix and hopefully it's a shop that you can trust. Sonnax sells a kit that includes the reamer/sleeve/spring if you're handy and want to try it but it's a little expensive at $250 (last I looked) but you can usually sell the rest of the kit for about half after you get finished with it.

These repairs at a trans shop usually run about $120. If at all possible, don't let it out of your sight while they have the pan off, there's some shady characters out there that pull some stunts on the unknowing. Of course, if you knew this was going to happen, this wouldn't be the place you'd go anyway, but.........

An alternative is-----find a race car shop that also does general automotive repair, even a drag racer that does part time work, these guys take pride in their work and it's right-----or not done.

DO NOT let anyone tell you the trans is toast because of this code, it's a simple fix to those who are familiar with it.

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Thank you Texas Ton for the insight. I'll make sure Dennis see's this. Shoot well, Bob

8. DENNISMASTROLIA1

Thank you Texas Ton-I am having the vehicle looked at tomorrow/Thursday.The repair shop owners are a friend of a friend and hopefully I will be treated fairly.I will reply back with details.Thanks again to all that replied.(angryman7 also).

9. atashooter

atashooter Member

+1 on Texas,... sounds like the TCC in the converter is shot, or a hunk of crud stuck in the TCC solenoid. Have a new filter put in it while the pan is off also have the coolers flushed. You'd be suprised the particles and crud that gets trapped in them.

10. B V

B V TS Member

I had the same thing happen in a 2000 GMC. The local Chevy dealer transmission man installed the sleeve kit for me in his shop at home for $250 (parts and labor). Havent had a problem in the 50K miles since. He did the job in one evening after supper.

11. DENNISMASTROLIA1

I wanted to update for those that responded to my issue.I checked the trans. fluid after my "general mechanic" said that it looked worn out/burnt.The fluid was VERY low and could hardly be noticed on the dip stick.I added fluid to the appropriate level then drove 2 miles and stopped for dinner.Back in the truck for the ride home-approx.5mi. and the "service engine" light"WENT OFF".The truck seems to run o.k. Now what should I do? What caused the fluid to become low? I will drive it as is for a while and check fluids daily.Also I will put truck on the lift and see if the pan is leaking.Could I be this lucky? Thanks,Dennis 781-910-0313.

12. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

Dennis with the fluid that low the main line pressure would be low and case the trans to slip while you were driving it that's why you saw the raise in rpm by filling the trans you stop it from slipping now but the fluid is burnt and needs to be changed and the filter in the pan change to you mite have got lucky that it didn't fry the trans you should look under the engine were the lines go over the cross menber to see if there are any wear marks that could be leaking and also check the lines going into the rad to see if thay are loose sence you had it out once before also went you have the pan down check to see how much junk is in the pan it look like thick black carbon and also look to see if there are flakes of silver in with carbon this will tell you how much of the bands and clutch pack are worn if there is a lot of material in the pan then the trans is on the way out and a rebuilt is just around the conner hope this helps good luck

13. DENNISMASTROLIA1

Thanks cmptrwhz.I just got back from having this looked at up on the lift.The mechanic said that the pan bolts were somewhat loose and was causing a small amount of fluid to be lost.Just enough for it to blow back towards the rear and not to leave any signs on the ground. Over time this caused the diminished levels. I will now have the fluid/filter changed and will look at the 'filings' if any caught on the magnet in the pan. Thanks again.Dennis Mastrolia.

14. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Atta boy Dennis,check for debris,if none, flush and fill.
    Keep your fingers crossed,good luck.

Sandy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.