1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Transmission problems

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by avidtrapshooter, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

alright i have a 1995 saturn SL1 1.9 liter 4 cylinder with auto transmission and lately its been having issues shifting, i will be cruising at 55-60 mph and it will all the sudden drop a gear on flat ground and start revving at around 4000 rpm and it won't shift until i either slam it to the floor and let it rev up to 5500 rpm or wait and it will eventually go back into the proper gear, any thoughts on what is causing this? we changed the fluid the filter and did a little work on the transmission about 5000 miles ago, i checked the fluid today and its fine, last time it went out it drained all the fluid and went from mid 4th to 1st on the highway (not at 1 time just gear by gear about 5 seconds between each downshift) it was caused by the pin the spider gears turn on snapping and the loose end wore a hole in the bell housing. we replaced all seals and gaskets when we took it apart. any help would be greatly appreciated. thnx.
    zane

2. Mac V

Mac V Guest

It may well be a drivetrain computer issue...a Saturn dealer should be able to check for trouble codes.

3. avidtrapshooter

i forgot to add that when you are driving in reverse for a bit it starts jerking, it feels like the wheels are locking up, i am almost positive they are but have never seen for sure. i went to a saturn dealer once and they were all a$$holes talk about giving you a run around and not helping at all, i let them test drive it and when i got back into the car and drove it it ran like someone had just beaten the living CRAP out of it, its one thing if i beat on my car but when someone who is supposed to be fixing something in the car drives the crap out of it it just pisses me off!

4. incognito

incognito TS Member

I agree that too many mechanics, and especially dealer mechanics, are jerks. However, I was a mechanic for 30+ years, and some of the tests they run require what the service manuals call WOT. That stands for Wide Open Throttle. In general, if a mechanic is going to properly trouble shoot your car, they are going to drive "the living CRAP out of it," as you said.

5. incognito

incognito TS Member

Don't know where you are located, but here is an ad I found on car-part.com. Hope it helps. Maybe a used tranny is the way to go?

1996 Transmission Saturn S Series Sedan NICE SOHC TRANS TESTED OK $149.95!! 91,000 miles $149.95 Marshalls Auto Parts, Inc. Circleville, Ohio 1-800-333-2104

6. avidtrapshooter

that might be something i am gonna have to look into, i can put the transmission in myself so labor ain't a factor and if i had to have it serviced it would prolly cost a bundle more then $150. no offense to any mechanics on this site with my comment, i love cars and love working on them its just those people at these dealers talk to you like you know absolutely nothing and try talk you into blowing a ton of money on things that don't even need replacing i am not saying all dealer ships are like that but this one sure was. and BTW i didn't know they had to drive them wide open for some of these tests kinda interesting to know though next time i won't get so mad at em if i have to get it looked at again. i am in grand rapids michigan area and did a little search on that site and found a few for about $350 which ain't that bad had i known they cost so little i wouldn't have spent so much time with my dad working on the one i have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.