1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Transition from barrel checker to bird watcher

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Aug 26, 2006
    I am making the transition from barrel and bead checker to hard focus on the bird. The problem I seem to have now is the transition from eyes on bird off the rib line to eyes on bird with rib line where the eye looks.

This illustration is in one of the trap videos I have, either Kiner or Campbell. They show eyeballs locating and locking on the bird, with the gun following and swinging through. When I do this, I mostly miss, with the gun never making it to the proper alignment. Based on numerous discussions on this site, developing barrel awareness, on any conscious level, is not good.

So, how about training with the oscillator off? Station one, hard lefts, proper hold, don't move anything except eyes when the bird comes out, and then learn to move the gun into the proper position. Anybody done it this way?

Anybody else recognized they were/are a barrel and bead checker, and used some sort of practice technique to make the transition?

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Coral Springs, Florida
    Are you a one eye or two eyed shooter? I believe it's harder for a one eyed shooter to get away from "bead checking". Does your gun really fit you or are you always adjusting the butt placement? The reason for looking back to the rib/bead is that you're not sure of your eye/head alignment which is where the fit part comes in.

If you can mount your gun with your eyes closed and then have the correct eye/rib alignment then there's no need to ever look back. It can be difficult to break old habits but you have to trust that your experience and instincts will take over. Good luck.

3. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

Jul 11, 2008
    I made the transition from barrel/bead checker to bird watcher/head lifter. I'm working on eliminating the head lifter part and find that comprehending the location of the barrel in my lower peripheral vision is easier when the head stays down. I just have a hard time keeping it down because I'm fascinated by the sight of birds I've been ignoring for so long.

Andy Moreland
  4. don q

don q TS Member

May 13, 2006
    What helped me a bunch was too black out the beads with a magic marker. It seemed that the white beads were distracting enough to not see the bird soon enough. don q
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.