1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Transferring $ with Paypal

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Oregunner, Sep 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Just a heads up. I just bought a stock from another shooter and he said I could pay his Paypal account and he gave me his e-mail. I went to the Paypal site and typed in what I thought was his e-mail and send off $50. I then noticed that I was one character off on the e-mail address, but it was a valid e-mail for someone else, and Paypal sent off the $50 to that person, who doesn't even happen to be in the U.S. Paypal and my credit card company says that there is nothing they can do, but that I need to contact the person and request my money back. I am hoping that happens, but I may be out $50. I'm just glad it wasn't for more money. This was entirely my fault, and is no fault of the seller. Just beware. Mark

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Mark,

I'd be happy to give you my email address if you want to practice transferring money. :)

Sorry, you probably ain't in a joking mood.

3. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Just be thankful it was only $50 instead of $500. All in all it was a realtively cheap lesson.

4. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

But if you don't receive your merchandise from the "seller" you can contest it as "item not received". No?
    Anyway, send a message to the person who received the payment and establish dialog with them. I bet the account is inactive.
    I think you will come out ok in the end, a bit wiser after some heartburn.
    dju

5. Oregunner

I have twice e-mailed the person I mistakenly sent the $50 to, and have not received any reply yet. Paypal lists the account as not being in the U.S. I did talk to Paypal by phone and they told me to try and contact the person personally, wait a few days and call them back. We'll see. I'm guessing not everyone is as honest as trapshooters. Mark

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Yeah... Paypal has really got your back, eh?

Their "protection" is worthless.

7. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Seems to me that paypal did exactly what they were told to do. Oregunner has a valid claim against the mistaken recipient of the money but not paypall. The possible thief undoubtedly knows that he can get away with stealing the money.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Paypal should be able to reverse the sent funds or take money from the account. Heck, they do that to sellers all the time when the buyer claims they never got their goods. Why not in this case?

9. Oregunner

Update. I haven't been able to contact the other party that I sent the $50 to, so I called Paypal and opened a dispute claim. The money was still in her account (luckily) and they placed a hold on it. If she has not responded or refunded me the money in 10 days, they will refund my $50. This still might turn out OK. Mark

10. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

If it is a person that does not pay a lot of attention to thier Email, of which thier are a lot, they might not know they have it. Paypal neglects at times to advise the reciever of payments. And if someone sent me an email stating that I owed them money, I would think it was a con job. I have a paypal acccount but I have not looked at it for a couple weeks.

Just a thought in another direction.

CM

11. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Sounds to me like Paypal is going out of their way to be helpful even though they weren't at fault. I'm impressed.

12. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

Next time you might want the other guy to 'invoice' you for the amount through PayPal. This would have prevented what happened...and have given you a legal record of what was sold and for what amount.
    Mark

13. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

I have attempted to partially refund someone's money when they overpaid on shipping, and managed to refund all their money. A few hundred dollars to a German as I recall. Talk about sucking up...
    dju

14. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I always ask the seller to send me a PayPal invoice (request for payment). It virtually eliminates the chance of a typo. ....Rick

15. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I had a seller send me money by mistake to my Pay Pal account and I notified him as such. Seems that if I did not accept it in 30 days (or ?) it would divert back to the sender. It later left my account. Ray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.