1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Training with Terry Jordans wall chart

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Trapped !, Nov 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trapped !

Trapped ! TS Member

I think I am ready to order one of Terry's wall charts. They make sense to me as a great way to practice good form and to condition yourself to see the right leads. The product endorsements from great shooters are most impressive and I'm wondering what results members of this site have experienced first hand . Please describe your training technique with the chart. A year from now, I'd like the chart to be more than a mural on my basement wall. Thanks

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Had one; sold it the next week.

Somehow, I can't get past the complete contradiction in using still pictures to get better at shooting moving objects. Did improve my bead watching and gun stopping though.

MK

3. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Mk

The directions clearly say to follow through a few inches so you don't get stopping your swing. There are 875 of the New Sparta Wall Charts in use and I get great letters back from shooters getting great results with them.

I had a tough year health wise but managed to use it for a couple weeks before the Fall handicap in Missouri and won a 1/2 yard with a 95 and a whole yard with 97 all from 27 yards.

When I am not using it the hundreds are still there but not very many of them.

Terry.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"The directions clearly say to follow through a few inches so you don't get stopping your swing."</I></blockquote>No argument that the instructions are comprehensive. Simple fact is that the concept and the technique don't work for me. I learned to hit moving targets by training on moving targets. Any other way just doesn't compute. My experience; my opinion.

MK

5. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

With every negative there are always many more positive reviews...

FRedmon

6. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

I too just could not see how dry-firing at stationay targets could possibly help me but I knew I needed some that help and after talking with Terry I decided to give it a try. Terry assured me that it would work. Within just a couple of weeks I started seeing the difference in my move to the target. I still didn't credit the chart because again, "how could this dry-fire system really work?"

My squadmates noticed right away that I was shooting differently. I actually slowed down after 25 years of people telling me I shot too fast. I was unable to slow down on my own and now credit the chart work. It also has given me control that I have never had. I feel more confident now especially on those real windy days becasue I can hold off and get a better look at the target and shoot when I'm in position.

I had one of the best years this past season and besides winning some Class A HOA trophies I finished the target year in AA Doubles, the highest average I've ever had, .9315.

I still don't know how but the Wall Chart works and I hope by using it this winter, I'll to all tuned up and ready to post some high scores when I start back shooting this spring.

Kenny Ray Estes, Pittsgrove, NJ

7. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I'm new to the sport and would like to know if you guys think a tool like this is useful so I don't pick up bad habits right off the bat? Or maybe this is something I should wait on until later after I get some experience under my belt? Thoughts?

8. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

I think the tool is great for all shooters who are really interested in learning and improving their skills. The only shooters that I have seen the show no appreciation for the Chart are really new shooters who have so many other things they could be practicing, like figuring out how to mount the gun and keeping their finger off the trigger until they are ready to fire, and no idea about lead and follow thru.

When I first started, I found it cut my target acquisition swing time down a whole bunch. I went from pull.........................................bang, to pull...........bang, which changed a whole bunch of things in my game.

Later, I found that once things slowed enough that I had a definite site picture for each type of bird at firing, the Chart was really useful as I could see the site picture as I felt the trigger pull and the gun slides past the bird and keeps going.

And as I mentioned to Terry one late night, the Chart holds up a lot better using snap caps than 2.75d 8's.........only kidding.

In summary, keeps shooting real birds, keep using the Chart. As you do more of both, both will help you more and more.

Dennis

9. Joe McGorman

Joe McGorman TS Member

Golfers practice there swings and putting while not on the golf course to improve. Baseball players spend hours in the batters box even though the ball is only going a few feet into the net after they hit it. The wall chart will improve your gun mount and muscle memory. I use one and have for about 13 years.

Joe McGorman

10. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

I have shot registered targets for 34 years and the Wall Chart is a method I devised in the first few years to compete when I was spending most of my time dog training.

I learned a lot in the 80's and 90's from getting the chance to shoot with some of the very top guys in our sport and Brad Dysinger was a great help to me in those early years.

I don't feel you have to be a great shooter to be a good coach or to sell a good product in this game but it helps on the respect level. I will say that I have hit over 300 hundreds in 16 yards, I have about twenty-five 200's, several 100's in doubles and a few 99's from 27 yards. I have won the singles, handicap, doubles Championships, HOA (twice) and HAA (twice) at our Ontario Provincial Championships and lots on Non-Resident State Titles.

I think that is well above average results for a full time Ford worker (40 years). I feel that most of those scores would never have happened without the hours I spent picking the gun up regularly and working on the chart. I think that hard work with a good method has way more to do with hitting good scores than talent does.

I have a pretty good idea what I am talking about and the Wall Chart works.

Terry.

11. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

We bought one for our 4H group. I kinda had my doubts about it, but we used it to start a group of new shooters. In our case it is a great way to work several areas at once...stance, gun mount, follow through after the "shot", and the kids get to see what the leads look like. Safe for the coach too as there is no ammo involved...you can move in front and really check mounts or walk the line in front to just get a better look at stance.

Frankly, they whine, moan, and beg to shoot real targets. But, nobody gets off that line until they are looking good (stance and gun mount) and moving the gun smooth with a nice follow through.

Then they get real targets and that's when I was amazed. They knew what to do on their very first round and improved much faster to boot. Anytime they find a problem shot, it's back to the chart to look over the lead again.

It's a tool that works. It paid for itself the first day we used it. It saves the kid's parents money in shells and targets....why shoot live when the kids don't have clue what the sight picture looks like.

Get one. If you use it, it will help.

12. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

Terry's chart is the best money you will ever spend in this sport. The list of ways it will help you improve you total game is very long. You can save enough money solving problems working on the chart to pay for it. It helps with gun mount etc. It also will help those eye exercises you need to keep doing. When there is snow on the ground and very cold this winter and you would love to go shooting, but the weather will not permit, just grab the gun and hit the chart. IT WILL IMPROVE YOUR TOTAL GAME.

13. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

I have said it before and I'll say it again. Terry's chart is simply the best tool we have ever used to improve our shooting. With a couple of hand surgeries in the last two years I have faultered by being sore and stiff, but using the chart has kept me in the game. I need to just keep at it and things will come around once again as they did when we first bought one of these charts..

I have personally seen, and squadded with Kenny Ray, and what he says is very true. He was a quick snap shooter with limited control, but with the aid of the chart he has slowed down and is very aware of being where he needs to be on a target before he releases the trigger..His trigger control is outstanding now !!! He had dug himself a hole with his quick shooting style, and now he can say with confidence he is back in his game. It sure made me feel good to see this. When he hit the 27 again this year, I don't know who was happier, him or me.

I recommended to Kenny Ray that he get one of these charts to help him out of his slump..I knew I wasn't going out on a limb, as it has helped so many people that were true users...He would write and tell me how he did at each shoot, and his scores were doing nothing but going UP.

It sure is nice to be able to recommend such a product as this, with the confidence that if used the way Terry says, it will pay off with good results.

Dave in SC

14. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

There are a number of so- called trapshooting aids on the market, some ok, some just not.Buying and using The Jordan wall chart will be the best money that you will have ever spent on a trapshooting aid because it just simply works.

I have been using his chart all of my shooting career, and I'm now AAA27AA.
    Like some of the posters have stated, you have to use it to benefit from it, that is so true.

Terry is a great guy to deal with, and will help you long after the sale.

Of all the shooting aids out there the Jordan Wall Chart is the only product that has never been badmouthed by anyone,a lot of the big dogs endorse it, and use it in their classes.

PM me if you want to talk about this wall chart....Bill...

15. schutzemgud

schutzemgud TS Member

Trapped you will really like the Wall Chart. It will improve your game. But you have to use it. In the winter I like to practice 100 dry fires every day. The cost is free. The arm strength that you get or don't lose and the timing and muscle memory can't be beat.

The Wall Chart is truly a great product produced by a really good person. You can trust it. JMHO and many others share that opinion too.

Mike Sudz

16. Trapped !

Trapped ! TS Member

I really appreciate everyone's sound advice and points of view. This was just the kind of input I was looking for. I will be in touch with Terry soon ! It was good to hear of the high regard shooters have for him as an individual too. I hope this thread translates into some sales.
    Thanks all, Gary

17. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I also want to thank all for your inputs. My check is in the mail.

18. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Thanks for the great comments, they did create a few sales. I was deer hunting all week and will get these new orders out in Monday's mail.

If any new shooters or new junior coaches are reading about the chart, I send the whole written program out free to potential customers and to everyone who has bought a used chart from someone else.

Terry.

19. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

That is one of the great things about Terry...

You buy a chart from someone else and he will send all the supporting literature to the new owner...You sure can't beat that for continued service of a product...

Dave in SC

20. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Typical e-mails I get regularly.

Hi Terry

Received my 10 ft. chart today and set up practicing in 5 minutes. Your e-mails were right on with jerk, focus, lead, and poor firing habits. Within 100 dry fires I could see how the "eye. brain, muscle memory and finger timing comes into play.

I did darken the room and and lit up the chart and instantly noticed I did not have to use my front sights. A bad habit I got into (aiming the gun). I was skeptical at first on how I could improve with the chart but 5 minutes were worth days on the trap field under pressure and making unknown/hidden bad habits.

Thanks for including the 2 snap caps. This is a very simple and easy to make snap cap shells with the Permatex Silicone. I do not think I would make these without your sample. I now feel comfortable using them and will make many tomorrow.

The reason for this email I am 62 years old and was a kid when someone in business trusted me like you. ( I guess it is a Canadian thing) :)
    I have to rate your product, communication, and and business 5 stars out of 5 stars. You are Great

Thanks

Dave

PS. Your check is in the mail.
    PSS I think I am going downstairs and shoot another 125

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.