1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trailer wiring

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tom berry, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

I'm trying to wire the lights on an aluminum trailer.

I've got them all working, but when I have the turn signals on, I'm getting some faint blinking on all the other lights too.

I think it's a ground issue, but I'm not sure what to do to fix it.

I have it grounded at the tongue, then I brought the ground back to the axle area, then tied all the ground wires for the lights together from there.

I disconnected the ground daisy chain so to speak and grounded the right turn signal to the trailer and I still got the faint blinking on the other lights.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this "cross blinking issue"?

Thanks.

Tom

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Always use a wired ground, not a ground through the tongue.

Fix that, then test again.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Tom, I'm pretty darn sure your problem is with the ground. It will make very funny things happen with the lights. Have you tried tried splitting your one ground wire on your harness to two wires and run one to left and one to right light and try that. If you have a 3rd,4th,or 5th light run them seperate as well. Do use the "adhesive lined shrink wrap type connections" with a heat gun to shrink up. This will keep out any water or salt that might get in and back feed into lights as well. If you don't have these wraps on your other connections I would do them up as well, even at the tongue of the trailer as well. You may need to get a whole new line and start from the beginning. YOu can get the harness you need 4 wire or 5 and 25 or 30 feet of wire behind it and start from the top with all new. Sometimes if they chaff and get a small hole and saltwater gets into it, funny things can happen as well. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

4. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

You want a hard wired ground. Drill and tap a small hole in your trailer frame and solder your ground wire to a ring terminal. Screw your ground wire to the frame. Put some grease on the connection and the threads. Never a probem with funny lights since going this rouute on any of my trailers.

JK

5. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Dielectric grease is a nonconductive grease. Because it is nonconductive it does not enhance the flow electrical current.

6. Sparky30-06

Sparky30-06 TS Member

make sure you have a good ground on your truck side also.

also is it a tilt trailer?? if so make sure you have a wire running from the frame to the tounge, don't rely on the pivot bolt to carry the current

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

if it is a tilt trailer as stated above, quite likely you don't have a ground to the front, try running a wire as a test from the lite to a solid ground on the truck, not the ground wire on the plug....aggravating aint it

8. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

Thanks for the comments. Yes it is a tilt trailer. Until now I had it ground at the frame near the axle rather than on the tongue. I also ran a wire from that point back to the lights and tied all the grounds together.

Damn mice chewed the wiring and I had to replace it all from the plug back to the axle. I wired it exactly the way I had it, but I got no power. For some reason I had to ground it at the tongue for the lights to work.

Would eliminating that chain of ground wire and grounding each light individually to the trailer frame make a difference?

I don't think it's the ground on the truck. I can hook up any other trailer and it works just fine.

I have a multimeter, but honestly about I can use it for is to determine if there is power coming through the wire.

I'll try some of the suggestions above and see what happens. Yes, it's aggravating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.