1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trailblazer 4.2 engine?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by halfmile, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Looking at one, 2005 model. No experience with this engine or vehicle, and am allergic to lemons.

I would like to hear good/bad, vehicle in general and powertrain in particular.

I can live with nickle dime and cosmetic stuff but I am too old to crawl under vehicles. This is going to be a hunting fishing vehicle if I buy it but some long drives are in the works.

HM

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

That 4.2 is a awesome engine...its a wolf in sheeps clothing...the big 6's torque makes it great off road for mud crawling and yanking boats up slippery boat ramps...they are built to last and very reliable..they have been accused of being a little bit thirsty for a 6 ...but hey! that lil 250ci 6 banger is making 275hp..making power costs money no matter how many spark plugs you are feeding. My friend Pete tows a 26ft camper with his and swears by it..thats good enough for me as he has no tolerance for stuff that dont work

3. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

Had an 02 with that motor- 150,000+ with NO problems, geared for the highway, about 18-20 mpg avg. Enough cargo space/towing capacity for 2 duck hunters, 1 LARGE Lab, assorted "stuff", with an 18 ft. boat hooked up. try it you'll like it..

Larry

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I had a company leased vehicle 2005 Trailblazer that I drove until I retired. The engines are great but the vehicle itself was junk. I never had so many things go wrong with a new car in my life. You could not sell me a GM now. Rear end replaced, fan clutch probs never ended, 2 window motors, rattled constantly from day one, overheated once, tranny went out at 42,000, gas mileage sucked

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Consumer Reports is on my DO NOT BUY list..their info is opinionated and outdated most of the time

6. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Consumers reports and all the gun magazines have been in love with foreign cars for as long as I can remember and have done a good job brainwashing a whole generation.

7. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

My experiences with Chevy and Nissan have had no ill effects from a magazine and I'm telling you know I currently own 2 Chevys and 2 Nissans. I will never own another chevy again.

8. bobcatv

bobcatv TS Member

I own a 2003 Trailblazer EXT and love it. We have over 160,000 miles on it and it pulls our 21ft boat without any problems. We pull our boat over a pass and it doesn't slow down much. The only modifications I have made to it are a cold air intake by K&N.

I have replaced the water pump (at around 110,000) and the clutch fan (at 150,000) and the normal wear and tear stuff (brakes, tires, etc).

Would I buy another one? Yes.

Jeff

9. halfmile

Thanks for the input, gentlemen. I think I would buy this vehicle, if I can make a decent deal.

TS.com, way better than Consumer reports.

HM

10. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

One of the car magazines, I think it was Car Craft, did an in-depth article about this engine when it was first introduced. They liked it.

It is built strong and the crank is supported by a main bearing girdle giving the lower end plenty of strength.

A few of my neighbors have them and like them very much.

Regards.......Gerald

11. traper130

traper130 Member

The 4.3 had a head gasket leaking problem. leaking antifreeze

12. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I had the XLT Blazer (7 passenger) with the 6 and it was a great vehicle. No problems. Hated to turn it in when the lease was up (48,000).

Rich in Indiana

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Not a bad engine, but the rest of the vehicle isn't always up to par. If it is in decent shape and well maintained, try to get a good deal on it and don't look back. You might want to have a Technician take a look at it before making the purchase. I've seen some troubles with that orange Dex Cool coolant. It has been known to turn to mud and foul the cooling system. It needs to be changed out at regular intervals. I personally drain that crap out and put real antifreeze in after flushing it a few times. Fan clutches are a common problem with them also. Not hard to fix, but requires a special set of wrenches. Most people that own them aren't that dissatisfied with them.

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Not a bad engine....basically, just a 350 minus 2 cylinders. That vintage did have some cooling system issues. Rotting freeze plugs and intakes come to mind.

15. ohiomike

ohiomike Member

Tron, that was the 4.3, pretty sure the '05 Trailblazer would be the inline
    4.2 liter.

16. halfmile

The Dex is another thing. I am not convince it is a good thing. One guy says they always just put the universal stuff in, another says ditch the Dex.

I have it in a Buick and so far so good, but of course You don't know the problem is there till it manifests.

The engine in the TB I am looking at is a 4.2.

We are dickering tires now. I am at about 70-30 in favor.

I really do appreciate all the input, very helpful.

HM

17. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Ditch the Dex-Cool! That stuff is highly corrosive and doesn't do any favors to the cooling system. Just use regular aluminum capatable anti-freeze.

ss

18. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

OH, you're right....I was thinking of the 4.3...my mistake.

19. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Yeah, the 4.3 did have a few issues, but still not too bad overall. Most GM "V" engines have intake troubles of one sort or another.

I don't wait for Dex-Cool to go bad. I get rid of it before it congeals and turns to mud. A thorough flush and a fill with a good conventional mix and they usually do pretty well. I had one that was flushed three times before most of the mud was out of it. I flushed and changed it out a year or so later, just to be sure. Has almost 200K on it now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.