1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trail Cameras

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FalconSprint, Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Anyone that uses a digital trail camera to record deer/animal movement, I would like to know if yours works well, and which ones NOT to buy. I'm more interested in the IR (no visible flash) models. There are so many choices, I'm corn-fused. Thanks T.

2. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

We just brought one of the $100 Moultrie cams back from Cabalas. The flash is not a bad thing and the IR has shortcomings, like slow response, unless you pay some real cash for the features. Also, there's some sort of noise that scares the deer, at least that's the case with the one my friend got, and he's not happy with it. We're getting in the 30+ photos per day/night at the feeder, and have had some pleasant surprises. By all means get one without delay.......mike

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

buy the cuttyback-- here is the case where not being cheap will payoff longterm- buy from cabelas-best return policy! cutty is a lil busy to setup but great nite pics w/out flash

4. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

Cuddeback makes a great trail camera. Very fast trip time so you actually capture the animal that passes by instead of deer and other critter parts that you can not identify.

Cabelas is a good place to order this camera.

Dr. Honk

5. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

There was a post about the cameras here over a year ago. To make a long story short it came down to don't buy the cheap cameras. If you do you will send them back and then buy the good ones. Spend the money the first time and save yourself alot of trouble.

6. tachyon

tachyon Member

I started with a cheapo camera returned it and upgraded to a Cuddeback. I agree with Hydra, buy a good one. My Cuddeback batteries will last for a week to 10 days even in below freezing weather. I did make a roof to put over it to shield it from the rain/snow. With some rough wood siding it also makes the camera less visible and less chance of theft.

The infrared looks like this

[​IMG]

Think about height and sun location during the day. If the sun is pointed towards the lens the images are not very usable. The cuddeback has very little delay between sensing motion and taking the picture.

[​IMG]

This one was a little high as the deer had to look up to be in view.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have a number of camera's and as mentioned cuddleback is about the best. They have a new one this year that is about half the price or around $225.00 in the stores which is very good. The higher dollar wildviews are pretty good but can not pick up a fast moving(not running) deer(slow flash) and the Moultrie's on the high end are pretty good, especially the 6.0 MP's. On some of those you have the options of type of nighttime picture you want. Some folks say the flash scares the deer away but I have not found that to be true. The infrared can be used for more things as well. I had a problem with gas disappearing so I put a infrared camera out and caught the dude. If you want to know who is hunting or walking the same area it works good for that too. Jackie B.

8. Harty

Harty TS Member

I have had a cuddeback for 3 season now and I have not had any problems at all... Mine is a flash model but it takes great pictures and works well....

9. Fireball

Fireball Member

I have two i40 moultries and have never had any problems. The battery life is great. Check out the link and it should answer all your questions.
    Dave F.

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Better buy 2 so you can get a picture of the person stealing the other one, but have it camoflaouged and hidden, friends I know have lost 3 of them and on the first days they were installed.

Also had a friend that had one near a coyote den and the coyotes brought in 6 fawns in a week to feed on.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. steele

steele TS Member

After using several of the Cuddiebak setups, I fell in love with the ease of setup on the Cuddie "CAPTURE" model. No more having to be a computer programmer to run it. It just has one dial to do it all. It isn't IR, but I never ran into a situation to need IR. It was $229 @ Gander Mtn. I found if you use a Sharpie marker to outline the "tree bark" finish on the case, it really breaks up the pattern of the camera, adding to the camo effect.

12. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Thanks all for the information. During my search trying to cut thru what all the "jargon" means, I found this site. www.Trailcampro.com It has the answer to any question I had, compares camera against camera, has reviews, everything one needs to make a decision. Thanks again, T.

13. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i met a sales person in cabelas in kearney ne- he cuaght his neighbor in one nite stealing from his garage! he hung it fron the roof eve!

14. Old Smoker

Old Smoker Member

acss is correct about using a trail cameras to catch thieves. I have a friend who was having things disappear from his rural farm and he mounted a trail camera hidden in a fence row along the driveway. The camera took photos of the culprits coming in and leaving with the stolen item clearly visable on the back on their pickup truck. They had the tag number, date, time, and facial pictures of the crooks smiling as they were leaving. The deputy sheriff just shook his head and said it was the best evidence he had ever seen! Needless to say in was a slam dunk in court. Trial cameras are a good way to monitor traffic in and out of rural properties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.