1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tragedy strikes in PA

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by code5coupe, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Hey, Mexican chocolate is pretty good stuff. Try it before you pronounce sentence....look for Ibarra.

2. bertonernie

bertonernie TS Member

Ghirardelli is very good.

3. admiral Art

admiral Art TS Member

<html>
    <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1"
    http-equiv="content-type">
    <title></title>
    </head>
    <body>
    <span style="font-size: 11pt; font-family: "Bookman Old Style","serif";">If
    you think Mesican chocolate
    is good, try the sites below.</span><br>
    <br>
    <br>
    Belgium Chocolate<br>
    <br>
    Wisconsin Chocolate<br>
    </body>
    </html>

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Nothing shows up on a Google search.

But, US candy industry is moving to Canada so they can buy sugar at world market prices which are much lower than in USA. See George Will link above.

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

At the risk of angering the union guys on here, I'm not surprised. I know some shooters who work at that plant and they bragged about how they inflicted upwards of $50,000 in damage to plant equipment as they walked out the last time they went on strike. I don't know about you, but that wouldn't encourage me to keep my operations here and talk of this relocation has been in the local newspapers for a couple of years.

I know there are always two sides to every story and I can imagine that working for Hershey Foods can have its moments, but there's no excuse for that kind of behavior.

Ed

6. admiral Art

admiral Art TS Member

AverageED

Any of them guys [that did the bragging] taking Spanish lessons?

7. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Hershey is trying to find a more favorable business climate...

"Candy makers sued by suppliers

Harrisburg, Pa. —- Hershey Co. and other candy makers have been sued in New Jersey and Pennsylvania by suppliers and consumers alleging a price-fixing scheme. The three lawsuits were filed in federal courts last month, citing recent news reports that authorities in Canada and the United States are looking into chocolate industry pricing practices. All three complaints seek class-action status. The filing of such complaints is not unusual even though no charges have been filed, said James McCarthy, an attorney for a plaintiff."

Morgan

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Ed, I want you to understand something. People have a tendency to paint the union ideology and concept with the brush of actions by idiots. Thus a whole negative attitude toward "unions" grows.

This is no different than the hatred of guns by many because of the actions of a few idiots. Or, to use another parallel, the naming America "The Great Satan" by prominent Muslims.These words create an image which takes on a life of its own.

I know your reference is anecdotal but you must admit it has the potential of sowing discord. I am sure there are many hard working family people who will have their lives disrupted by the company's actions.

Nothing new about that. The War on the Middle Class continues.

HM

9. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Hey, Amigo! Whasa matter you? You no lika my choc?

10. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I don't know about Mexico, but according to the article at the above link, it's not wage savings that are sucking the candy industry jobs to Canada.

And still nothing showing up about this move on the on-line business news.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I saw on the news this morning that foreign investments are buying up American company's and real estate at an alarming rate. I guess this does mean America is for sale to those with the cash.

Like Jimmy Borum asked, where does this all end? Where does this leave us, the peons? Hap

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Admiral - not a one! They're all very American (unless being Pennsylvania Dutch classifies you as an illegal).

Also, I know being a union member does automatically make someone an outlaw, but when I heard those guys bragging their actions up at two local gun clubs, one of which is almost in the shadows of the Hershey factory's smokestacks, it really angered me and I have nothing to do with Hershey Foods.

Ed

13. lvshooter

lvshooter TS Member

I uderstand their thinking and them moving. Need to make business decisions from the head and not the heart if you are going to survive in the global economy. No longer just a National or US economy, major companies look at a global situation as there are many off shore companies coming in.
    If you are going to remain competitive as there are many many chocolate and candy mfrs. out there, you need to look at right sizing the business as if you keep doing what your doing you will get what you got and will go backwards. Eventually they will say "Rememeber Hersheys years ago".

14. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

If your going to strike... strike but don't damage any equipment that you will be running again when the strike is over. "We can't give you a raise because we have to repair the machines you destroyed". That could be one good argument.

Jerbear

15. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Here are my comments, FWIW.

Admiral Art has it right. The best chocolates are Belgian, and the best of the best are those made without preservatives or homogenized anything, and sold just off the SE corner of the main square in Brussels. They only keep for 2-3 days, so eat them there.

Hershey made the world's worst tasting chocolate.

The sugar import quotas and tariffs were originally put in place as a favor to two or three Louisiana sugar cane plantation owners. That protectionism increased the price of sugar in the US for decades, decimated the economies of several Central American countries, and is the sole reason manufacturers switched to high fructose corn syrup as a substitute. That switch wrecked diets (sugar was already a staple in American diets at the time) and is the root cause of the increase in Type 2 Diabetes in the US. Burn those damned plantations. Execute all members of the Farm Subsidy subcommittees in both houses of congress. Better yet, flay them first, then let them bleed to death.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

zzt- I have enjoyed Hershey's chocolate for many years, I think it is good.

Could you please explain how changing from sucrose (1 glucose + 1 fructose) to simple fructose results in late onset (type II) diabetes?

Pat Ireland

17. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Sorry guys but it sounds to me like more business as usual under NAFTA. Thanks Slick Willy.

Bob Lawless

18. porky

porky TS Member

I didn't think that the candy making plant in Hershey was moving. I thought that it was the candy making plant out in Indiana or Illinois. But, I will not argue with the point that sugar costs and labor outside of the US in really low in comparison to cost in the US.

19. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Anyone that thinks taking jobs out of an area and "showing" a certain group or class that we don't need them or their spendable income is a fool. Who do you think buys the products or services us non-union people sell or offer on the market. I have seen this first hand in my small city of 9000 people. We used to go to all the small businesses and small shops to get our Lions, Rotary, JC's ,etc. and also to them for the donations and prizes to our Gun Club ,softball teams, etc. Now we have more and more Big BOX stores, larger money managed and stock owned businesses, etc. and the stock answer is -we don't donate, we only give through the corp. office, etc. and consequently the small town business "leaders" that used to participate and join clubs are disappearing faster than Al Gore's ice pack. The good old days weren't all bad when we had a middle class that actually felt they made a difference and felt they served a purpose in our society. Glenn

20. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

When everythinmg is made outside the US and Americans are largely out of work, who will buy these "foreign" products. Certainly not Americans. We won't have the money. Read Adam Smith's "Wealth OF Nations". In Smith's terms, it would seem that America's greatest export has become its prosperity. Once that has all been sent "overseas" we will have reduced our country to a second-rate economic has-been. Then Hershey and the other outsourcers and job exporters will wind up being owned by foreigners, or be out of business.

Sometimes economics must take second place to sovereignty. If not, one can lose both!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.