1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tragedy at a Monster Truck Show

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cls, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cls

cls Member

This is very sad. A six year old boy was killed by flying debris at a Monster Truck show (see link above).

I can't imagine what the family of this little boy is going through. And now that I've thought about it, I'm surprised we haven't heard of this sort of thing happening before. cls

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

About 7 or 8 years ago, a mudder overran the pit at the Bartholomew Cty. fairgrounds in Indiana and took out a couple people.

These boys and their toys are loose cannons, and people assume the organizers are providing a safe, "Sea World" type of show...until it's too late.

It reminds me of when that flamer got dragged off by the cat at the Tiger show in Las Vegas...I wonder if audience members ever thought: what, exactly, is separating those cats from me, sitting here in the audience? I bet everyone thought about it afterward.

3. nipper

nipper TS Member

and the show went on-----

bill

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Took my son to a monster truck show some years back in Portland. One of the trucks did a big "burn out" on the clay dirt, and sent huge chunks of dirt into the crowd, striking several people. Fortunately, none got hit with the really big chunks, some of which were about the size of two bricks. Some parents were REALLY pissed off, and management had to come down to try to calm them down. A number of families left right then and there.

5. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Took my 4yr. old son to the Monster Jam show in Rochester, NY 2 weeks ago. For lack of a better description, it sucked. The arena where the show was held is way too small for such an event. it's an AHL hockey arena. They had the first approx. 10 rows taped off, but I still didn't feel safe.

We left at intermission, because my son was bored! This kid loves cars and trucks, and I mean he's obsessed. The show is a joke, and a rip off.

6. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

It's called risk. Look at the people who were injured at at the IRL race a few years back. Nascar had some injured a while ago as well. Should we ban all racing how about gun clubs who let folks get away with unsafe gun practices, should we close the club? They are usually older and may have lost some of their aptitude so we say nothing. As the favorite subject on here a gun blows next to a youth shooter, should we stop reloading?

I guess being as folks don't like something and think it's dangerous we should all stop.

Although it is a very sad thing to have a child die it happens. If it may have been prevented it is even worse but where does regulations stop?

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

Unfortunately for the fans of these shows, since many of the venues probably _are_ too small to hold this type of event, the insurance companies probably will start placing restrictions on what kind of stunts can be performed...ie, "no burnouts," or "no donuts," etc...and then you really will have a boring, watered down show. But they will keep on truckin', taking people's money in small podunk venues.

8. Jimmy E

Jimmy E TS Member

What!! A monster truck show is potentially dangerous!?! Even to watch!?! Who woulda thunk!! Stuff happens. But don't worry it happened the U.S.A. so somebody's gonna sue somebody, just as soon as they find out who has the most money!
    Jimmy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.