1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tractor tires

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by steele, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steele

steele TS Member

This is an inquiry aimed at the farmers/ranchers on TS. I'm having a problem with getting flats on the front of my 600 Ford tractor. My hobby farm has a lot of crab-apple trees with big thick thorns. It seems I get a thorn puncture every couple of weeks. It is a real PITA to tear down the tire/rim to fix the tube. I can't seem to find "tubeless" front tires, 650-16. I thought if I did get a flat, I would just pull out the thorn, & repair it with a plug kit. Any ideas? Butch from Pgh.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I would, if the rims allow tubeless.

Talk to your tire guy and get an equivalent tire in the new size ratings.

I would opt for an LT rating for better sidewall strength. the higher the load range the stiffer the sidewall. It wounds like you could use at least a "D" rating.

Your other option would be to put in a liner like my Ice race pals do to protect the tube from the screws they use.

HM

3. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Might try "Slime" Works on 4-wheeler tires. Won't hurt rims.

Doyal

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

First problem is are the rims tubeless, if they are you can install tubless tires and have the tires filled with a liquid fix- a-flat the will see most all punctures, it makes the tire self sealing. Rememeber the rims/wheels need to be tubless if not you can most likey buy new or used tubless wheels for the tractor.

5. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Ask your tire dealer if he can fill your tires with "foam".

Have had it done a number of times to solve flat issues on equipment.

Realize though, when tire tread life is over, it will be a purchase of new rims to go with new tires.

You can also get Solid rubber tires for some tractors. They are basically a large steel rim with about 2 inch's of rubber tread.

Good Luck

6. pretzel

pretzel TS Member

I agree with timberfaller, putting foam works great . We have done it and you can wear them to the cords without flats. they will ride a little rougher tho.

7. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I agree with timberfaller and Pretzel. Go with it and dont look back..

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Foam X3

9. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Go to a contractors grade tubeless tire. Much stronger than farm rated tires.

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

If crab apple thorns are anything like mesquite thorns there isn't a tough enough tire to stop them well maybe an aircraft tire but probably can't get them in the right size

11. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Follow timberfaller advice. No more flats...

12. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Just because a tire says it is a tube type doesn't mean that it must have a tube. All of the tires on my tractor are tube tire but I don't have a tube in any of them. I live in thorn country and put the excellent sealant the tire dealer recommended in them- no more flat problems. My tractor is medium sized so I put 1 gallon in each of the rear tires and 1/2 gallon in the front. Your tire dealer will be able to tell you if your tires can be mounted tubeless or not.

Personally I would put foam in my tractor tires for 2 reasons: the cost is high and the tires will have no give to them making for an even rougher ride than I already have. I sure didn't know that tire replacement would require new rims with the foam- holy cow, that would really get pricey.

13. warren

warren Member

As said above solid tires will answer your problem

warren

14. collett1000

collett1000 TS Member

Call Gensco Aircraft Tires Houston,TX 1-800-828-3350 they will solve flat problems

15. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I didn't know that you had to buy new rims either when you replaced "foamed" tires. The dealer suggested that I foam the tires on my skid steer. He said I would never have another flat. It was cheaper to buy a new tire than foam it, glad I declined the service.

16. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

I've heard of people foaming the relatively small skid steer tires but have never heard of anybody foaming big tractor tires, at least around here. Perhaps in a baby tractor that would be more practical. JMHO

17. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

I buy 5 gallon buckets of slime with a pump from my parts house. I too live in the mesquite zone.

18. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

might help, grubby

19. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

I had foam installed in my ATV tires because of flats. When I took the tires off,or I mean cut them off the rims ...the foam came away from the rims and I just bought new tires and used the same rims,no need to by new one. The foam did not stick to the rims to the point that they were not usable.

crab

20. ark1stclass

ark1stclass TS Member

I will second the aircraft tires. Look at www.fastline.com and you will find an add. They are 14-16 ply you get them with a rim for just a little more then a new tire. For a light weight tractor like yours you dont even need air as they are so stiff.

Check out the link in the post above. I would run them but my tractor is 4wheel drive and I must have tread.

Jim