1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tractor info

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by steele, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steele

steele TS Member

Anyone knowledgeble about Oliver tractors? I just bought a small farm & have access to an Oliver 1655 diesel tractor. I know they are no longer made. Pros & cons please. Butch from Pgh

2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Fine tractors.. I think they have a 2 stroke detroit diesel in them.. alot of people use them for tractor pulling.. you can hear them a mile away..!!

3. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

My neighbor had one. It was about a 70 horsepower.

I don't believe it was a Detroit diesel in it tho.

Excellent tractor.

His was built in 1975, which was according to him the last year for the 55 series.

4. warren

warren Member

Oliver was purchased by White and is now White Tractors. My father was an Oliver Tractor Dealer and I sold those for years. Good Tractor and good engine the engine brand is Wakushaw.

warren

5. DB3006

DB3006 Member

The 1655 Oliver has a 283 cubic inch Waukesha diesel engine. Rated at 70hp at the PTO. Very good tractor.

DB3006

6. pweld

pweld TS Member

Boy that brings back memories as the farmer I worked for as a kid had an Oliver row crop 88. It had a mounted two row corn picker on it and I almost lost my left arm in that one.

Paul Welden

7. steele

steele TS Member

Anything to watch out for? My old uncle wants to give it to me, as he doesn't work his farm anymore. It only has 1800 hours on it, so I'm assuming it should last me as long as I need. I'm just planting & tending deer food plots on my newly acquired land.

8. warren

warren Member

If it only has 1800 hours on it that should last you for a very long time, be sure and clean the oil bath aircleaner regularly sometimes they will get plugged up and the engine will suck the oil out of the aircleaner and the engine will run away until it burns all the oil in the aircleaner or blows up the engine. The only other weakpoint that I know of were the bull gears in the final drive just keep lots of good gear oil in there and they should be fine.

warren

9. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

1800 is very low hours for that model.

I believe they came with two transmission options. The one my neighbor had was a 6 speed. The other option had a total of 18 speeds and was partially hydraulic if I remember right.

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

we had one and the and it would pull the John Deere 70 backwardsy are indestructible

11. ctreay

ctreay Member

We had some equipment in the military with the Waukesha diesels for power. Man did those things ever roar. I believe that you could hear them a mile away.

ctreay

12. steele

steele TS Member

According to "Unc", this one has 18 forward speeds & 3 in reverse. I assume it is a 6 speed with a 3 speed rearend.

13. warren

warren Member

The Oliver Plow Co. purchase the Hart-Parr Tractor Co. in the twentes and manufactured those tractors under the Oliver name in Charles City Iwoa. Hart-Parr made models 60, 70, 80 and 90 tractors in untility and row crop they were updated to 66, 77, 88 and 99 right after the war. My dad had a list of farmers that wanted to buy them during the war and when he got one in he would call the next farmer on the list to come get his tractor. He only got his allotment based on his sales before the war started. This was in the San Joaquin Valley in Calif.

warren

14. PNT

PNT Member

I have an Oliver 1600 gas with about 7500 hrs on it, going strong.
    Here is a guy/place to contact for info.

Harsin Larry

3426 170th St.

Estherville IA 51334

712-362-2966

harsinoliver@ilechsi.com

http://www.olivertractor.com/

15. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Peter, that's a nice website, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.