1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tractor help!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by esoxhunter, Jan 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I had a previous thread that dealt with this. After a "ton" of information off the internet; I have narrowed down my search to 2 tractors. I need the tractor to clear a 700' driveway, (snow); mow 7 acres of lawn and pasture land and to have a reliable front end loader for various duties. The choices are: #1. Bobcat CT225 with a front end loader, mower and snow blower . #2. John Deere 2520 with the same equipment. The only concern I have is the nearest Bobcat dealer is 40 miles away; whereas the nearest John Deere dealer is 10 miles away. (The Bobcat is about $1000 higher in price than the John Deere) Anyone have any input? I want to possibly purchase be the end of the month to take advantage of their promotions. Thanks a lot. Ed

2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Buy the Deere.. no question about it.. There will always be a Deere dealership to service it.. you will always be able to get parts.. plus re sale will be greater.. and there will be a Deere dealer near the guy wanting to buy it, if you do want to sell..

3. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Nothing runs like a Deere.

4. ultramag338

ultramag338 Member

John Deere, better tractor, BETTER resale. Buy it and dont look back. When everything on my farm wont start, The Deere will. Hope it helps. Corey

5. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

I'm surprised that the Deere is the cheaper since, as a general rule, they are the most expensive. You usually pay a big premium for the green paint. Don't mean to knock them since they are good equipment, just expensive. I've owned several brands and prefer Kubota over the others. I might be mistaken about this, but I think that the Bobcat tractor is make by Kioti (Korean). Nothing wrong with Kioti except for resale. Except for Kubota, the resale for the foreign brands isn't great. Funny thing because none of the small tractors are made in the US, even the John Deeres are imported.

6. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

John Deere. Resale, parts, service, financing, warranty, and so forth. Go luck, Charlie Henderson

7. andybull

andybull Active Member

I like my Kubotas.

[​IMG]

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Go with the Deere,

Solid Stable Still John Deere they are the only major farm equipment MFG that hasn't gone belly up

Did you look into the 1026 they just came out with? It's about the same price as the 2520, it has a Yanmar engine, but the rest is built in the USA by Deere, I do believe, and it also has a load sensitive 3 pt, I don't believe the 2520 does

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

If you decide on the JD and you have a macadam driveway you might want to consider the front mounted snow blower vs the snow blade.

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Go look at both and see which one sits better and is easier to get on and off. Also check the layout of the controls. You'll be using the darn thing for longer periods of time so it should be comfortable. Also check into the local dealers history of service after the sale. This is a big factor in a major purchase for me.

ss

11. Rum River

Rum River TS Member

A friend of mine had a Bobcat tractor about the size you describe, but I don't remember the exact model. Anyway, the hydraulic pump didn't have the capacity of the John Deere he replaced it with. In cold weather or with a heavy load in the bucket the Bobcat wasn't near the tractor the Deere is. Dan

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have had several JD's in recent years and grew up on a farm with many deeres. I have green blood, buy a JD

13. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Andy, I am surprised and disappointed that your lovely wife wasn't included in the pic. :)

Rick in MT

14. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

Looked at JD"S but dollar for dollar KUBOTA is a better tractor for the money by far Bought a L3200 for 25,000 JD"S don't even compare at that price,

15. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

One suggestion, make sure the loader on whatever tractor you buy uses a skid loader mount for the bucket. That will give you maximum flexibility with attachments since it's so common.

16. andybull

andybull Active Member

Rick:

How's this:

[​IMG]

17. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

personally I wouldnt let my tractor or operator sit out in the weather

18. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I still can get parts for my '36 John Deere A from the dealer if thats any help! Can't get parts for a '36 Ford from my Ford dealer.

Steve

19. rmclaysports

rmclaysports TS Member

Ed, I have a 35 hp Kioti, they make the Bobcat and they are identical except for the paint. Got it new in 2006 and it has 800+ hours on it now. We beat the heck out of it summer and winter and have never done anything to it but but change the oil. Parts available at Bobcat and Kioti dealers if needed. It replaced a John Deere and a Massey before that and would rate it way above both of those.
    The little bugger does everything we ask of it, it has a lot of heart.

Maybe you have a Kioti dealer closer than the Bobcat.

My Kioti with loader was way less money than the same hp JD. Kioti always has promos on their website, and you can probably get more off from the dealer.

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My $.02:

There are virtually NO small Kubotas available anywhere used. there is a reason for that.

If you can afford it, and find other work for it a small 4WD Kubota is the best of the best.

That said, the JD is easy to get rid of if you don't like it.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.