1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tracking Number of targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by officework13, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. officework13

officework13 TS Member

how far does the honour system go (or not go)
    we believe we are having some issues at our gun club with the number of targets paid for does not equal the number of targets put into the machines. (much less). (however, some people do not think it is an issue - perhaps there is a reason they think that)
    i know there are computerized systems out there that would fix this issue, but right now we are trying to stay away from that (cost issue), but rather we are looking for a manual system/ simplified way that works fairly well (short of watching each shooter). we have 5-stand, trap, skeet, and international trap fields.
    if we find that using the manual system there are too many unreported targets (even though we can not put a finger on the culprit), then we could justify spending more money on an electronic system.

i know promatic sells a counting machine & software, but like i said, we want to stay away from that for now.
    however, if you know of other counting machines let me know those makes/models as well.

either post or email/pm me with what is working for you.

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Most trap machines have a counter on them..

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Unfortunatly people took advantage of the honor system too long at the WSRC/Sparta and they went with the computer system. I personally watched a couple guys shoot (4) rounds each and then went in and told the lady they shot (1) each. You bet your a$$ i turned them in. You now have a key registered to you and you pay for every target with the exception of (2) extras per round for broken targets. Its a pain in the butt. Some people ruin it for everyone. I know they looked at various methods before gonig with this system. Good luck. Its terrible that its gone to this.

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

We have almost no problem but we get very few "guests". The members are honest and we may get a miscount once in a while but it will be an honest mistake. We account for over 90% of targets purchased.

One facility (on DNR land) has a counter system and it works for them. Shooters, in general, do not like the system.

You probably know who the guilty parties are (if they are members). It may involve a bit of spying but they can be caught and given a warning. If they steal from the club a second time, kick them out. Any others will shape up.

Don Verna

5. skeeter1956

skeeter1956 Member

put in a token operated system the machine cuts the power off at 26 or 27 targets. i have seen a lot of skeeties run out of targets round station 5...wow mate did you shoot a couple of extras along the way, that'l explain it. works the same for trap. unfortunatley the honor system only works with honest people.

6. butcher

butcher Member

Don Verna, I would kick them out the first time I caught them. If they steal from the club just once it shows they can't be trusted.

7. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I often see shooters (both new and old, er... expierinced), jabbering in front of a voice release not realizing they just dumped half a case of targets downrange.

8. perga1

perga1 Active Member

When we installed counters on our machines at a former club, we lost a handfull of shooters. We know why and it paid dividends. Our spoilage suddenly dropped from 10% to less than 1%. JRM

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Put in the token system. You get what you pay for. The savings should pay for the system in a short time. Just think if 10 shooters just shot 5 extra targets each you have lost income from 2 rounds.

Don

10. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

RE: The token system. I have never seen one so please pardon my lack of knowledge. How do you address the issue of broken birds out of the trap?

11. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

(1) I would try to figure out who's taking advantage and kick their ass out of the club immediately.

(2) Unfortunately some shooters are just a-holes and take advantage of the honor system. I've seen guys literally pass on nearly 5 or 6 targets EACH ROUND. As others have said, you know your spoilage rate, if it's over 10%, you should probably invest in some sort of counting system.

12. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

officework13

There are a lot of reasons the total number of targets paid for will be fewer than the number purchased by the club. The "leakage" is caused by:

1. Breakage and water damage in transit and storage;

2. Breakage while loading and unloading the traps;

3. Trap machine problems;

4. Illegal targets not shot;

5. Targets thrown to set the traps;

6. Legal (and illegal) view targets;

7. Shoot-off targets;

8. Targets thrown due to lack of care around voice pullers;

9. Pilferage by the case;

10. And, of course, shooters taking advantage of the honor system.

In my experience, about the best you can do without extraordinary efforts is get the overall "leakage" down to 10-15%.

If you're sure your particular problem is #10, then counters are the way to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.