1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tracking device for Guns(input needed)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by high 2, Apr 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. high 2

high 2 Member

Would like some input from forum members. We are working on technology to track firearms in case of theft. Would like to know the amount of interest for this service. A quick phone call would be able to pin point location of said firearm. Also working on a reduced rate on firearm insurance that have this technology installed. Thoughts and opions would be deeply appreciated.
    Larry Garroutte Cor-Kel Arms

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

If it works and is cost prohibitive i think it could be a great idea and would sell. Sort of like the pet implant?

3. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Will it fit in your butt?

4. high 2

high 2 Member

Still in developement stages. Yes we would encourage a monthly test. As of this moment the butt stock would be the ideal placement. Reasonable price is at the top of the list. That`s why we need input from the folks most likely to use the service. The more units in service, the cheaper the service. Keep the input coming. Thanks, Larry

5. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I think this is very feasible as LoJack has done this for vehicles. The technology is advance enough in today's time that the transponder could be small enough it can be inserted in the stock behind the butt plate or in another discrete location.

However, the only problem I foresee is that if this device is a single object the disassemble of the gun might prevent the recovery of all the gun. With this in mind I would place the transponder in the receiver.

Bryan

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Patent it and then approach the gun manufacturers. Don't approach them until your patent is approved. Bear in mind that international patents are not truly enforceable.

7. oz

oz Active Member

the batfe and obama should love it. ask nancy pelosi what she thinks. ask her to check with hillaryand george soros. will we be able to track to mexico? oz

8. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

would theses devices be something that is permantly assigned to a specific firearm or to a specific individual?if the device is permantly assigned to a specific firearm would there be more FFL type paperwork when guns are transferred from dealer to individual or from individual to individual thru an FFL? thanks dwain

9. capvan

capvan Active Member

Just great. Another tool for the gun-grabbers to use if/when it happens. No matter what you do, someone will be able to hack into the system and pin point the houses that have guns. Kind of a "Directory for thieves".

This has to be one of the worst ideas I've ever heard of. Sure you folks don't work for Sarah Brady?

I would never buy a gun that had this device implanted in it...

10. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Not a bad idea but to be honest I dont think it could ever make you a profit. How many people have actually had a long gun stolen or are worried enough about it to implant a device in their gun? My guess is very very few. Price...would almost have to be next to nothing to compete with my insurance. Plus...bet that 90% of stolen guns are pistols....where/how are you going to install a tracking device?

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote>"...No matter what you do, someone will be able to hack into the system..."</blockquote>Possible, but not likely and not worth the effort unless someone is trying to equip an army with stolen guns.<blockquote>"... and pin point the houses that have guns. Kind of a "Directory for thieves"."</blockquote>Again, unlikely. Any inexpensive device small enough to fit into an unmodified butt stock is going to have a very low-power transmitter and a very small battery. It's range will be very limited and probably easily blocked buy just about any structure, especially if the gun is stored in a steel enclosure like it should be. Guns stored in closets, corners and cute glass-front wood cabinets deserve to be stolen anyway and they would be the easiest to locate IF they could be located at all.

MK

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

As an engineer, and "Law & Order" type person, I find the idea moderately interesting.

As a technological realist, I suspect that its long-term feasibility would be very limited as awareness increased and methods to detect and defeat it are developed.

As an American citizen and observer of politicians and their self-serving agendas, I have no doubt that such technology would eventually be used against gun owners and our 2nd Amendment rights.

-Gary

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Its an interesting concept and probably would sell ... Like GW 22 (Gary ) says there are also the many drawbacks to it ... If it were implanted into the stock thats the only part that would be recoverable as would the barrels, fore end etc. if implanted in them ... This would probably help in recovering parts or even guns from amateurs but not from the Pros ... That being said I would probably still try it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Silverbullit you might owe me a keyboard LOL. Jeff

15. Unknown1

<blockquote>"...As an American citizen and observer of politicians and their self-serving agendas, I have no doubt that such technology would eventually be used against gun owners and our 2nd Amendment rights."</blockquote>Gary, if it ever comes to that, THEY won't need technology to get your guns. I'd bet your name is already on more gun-owner databases than you'd be comfortable knowing about. All THEY have to do is come to your house, blow down the door, neutralize whoever resists and find what they want for themselves.

MK

16. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

The Law of Unintended Consequences will prevail.

Obama and his unconfirmed czars will make the most use of it.

Their new interpretations of old laws and regulations will rule.

And, like the Attorney General of Illinois recently did with gun ownership licenses, the Left will require the details of every gun implant be published in the Sunday newspaper.

17. jakeduke

jakeduke Member

Unkown1 I dont see how promotion of theft by your comment helps a thing. What the hell is wrong with you? I grew up in a house that had a screen door lock to keep the barn cats from opening the door that was it.

18. Unknown1

Hey jake... this thread was started by a guy who wants to build a tracker for stolen guns. Why? Cause the world is full of bad people who are looking to steal what you have. That's a fact of life, pure and simple. Leave your vehicle unlocked, leave the house doors open, leave your stuff where crooks can see it and get to it and you don't care enough about what you have to do everything you can reasonably do to keep it secure. You got nobody but you to blame for the loss because it was coming and you weren't interested enough to try to stop it.

MK

19. jakeduke

jakeduke Member

Locks only slow the process down.I know a man that had half the side of his home destoyed because of locks and gun vault. The crooks ended up with the vault and the owners home destroyed.Bad people you are right about that. The judicial system has made sure that the bad people remain among us after being caught slapped on the hand and turned right back out to do it all over again and more. Maybe our law makers will buy us all a way to protect our guns ya think you could let them know that gun owners are the ones that are at fault for theft instead of the crooks?

You made the comment that people deserve the firearms they have be stolen is what it is. I dont see it that way. I guess where I came from if someone came in your house with bad intent it was a sad time for the crooks. I remember when I was a youngster some rowdy drunks parked at the end of our driveway drinking in the middle of the night our dogs were barking one of the brave drunks yelled shut that Fu%*$!G dog up! That was all my dad needed to here. He shot the hell out of the car with a shot gun not knowing if he hit them or not it was dark ya see.

One good thing come out of the deal the next morning the men had left a cooler full of beer for Dad. I guess they changed their mind about staying.

20. jakeduke

jakeduke Member

As far as the the folks with the tracking device I am sure the intent is good but I would be afraid of the outcome of use it could become misused by thieves and those that think gun owners should be punnished for owning guns. If you know what I am getting at?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.