1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

tracers??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by stevea, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevea

stevea TS Member

anyone know where to get tracer shells? or is there a way to make them with reloads?
    steve

2. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

how many do you want have 2 flats of 12ga or near there rick

3. C H S

C H S TS Member

I bought some at this web site http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM806-41928-2590.html and they didn't work for trap. The tracer went out before it got to the bird and it usually didn't got with the bbs anyway. Waste of money for me.

Andy

4. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Try slowing the targets down some. You get better feedback in my opinion, if that's what your after.

5. C H S

C H S TS Member

If we slow the targets down, we get to watch the tracers but we don't shoot at legal birds. We bought tracers to look at where we're shooting against birds like they throw at registered shoots. Shooting at slow birds is lots different than shooting at legal ones.

Andy

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Carefull with tracer rounds, started a fire at our club. Almost closed the place.

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

...and they don't work anyway. Here's the test, invented by Loren Hentges of Metro Gun Club in Minnesota.

Put a target box some distance away - 20 yards will probably work. Then hit it with a tracer.

You can't. They don't shoot straight enough to do it. So what can they tell you about where you shot is going, since you sure can hit that box with shot, every time.

Neil

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If you want to know where your shot pattern is in relation to an angled bird, nothing is better than a good video camera. With certain backgrounds, some shooters can see your shotstring as it passes by the bird. Tracers were a total waste of time and money for me. Hap

9. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Let us know what you settle on for see where you're shooting. Frank Hoppe told us to hold that gun up there a little longer to get a better picture of the effect on the target and where your gun is. That helps. When you miss or break poorly it's just you and what's going on out there in order to adjust for the next target. What I suggested helped me and Hap's idea is good too as a training exercise. But then, as you say, we've got to go back to regulation targets. Well, if we don't change something, nothing will change in our averages. Good luck.

That test by Neil is eye opening.

10. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Cheaper than dirt or sportsmansguide.com would be a good place to get them from. Jamie

11. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

hey Tron great shooting this guy wants to see what he is doing wrong the tracer works at a short range [15 or so yards] for a new guy they work in dusk times on a home thower they work to learn they as someone noted at 30+ yds they are not too close i learned what i was doing wrong with them [ no follow through ] they are not for 16yd trap but work on skeet but again will not work in bright sun but you have to clean barrel after use i learned with them fast but i still dont do 100s but i can group a 5 shot 06 at 100 and cover with a quarter my 5 cents rick

12. stevea

stevea TS Member

i am lookin for these just to play around a little. i had some of these before and had a good time with them i know there not real accurate but i know where my gun shoots where ever im looking. doesnt mean i always hit them. thanks everyone who gave me the info i was looking for.
    steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.