1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tracers+propane=nothing?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rifle guy, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

Me and some buddies were out messin around with some of them darn "assault rifles" and i happened to have some tracer rounds (in .223)and a friend had some small green camping stove style propane cyliders we put 2 and 2 togather and expecting a flaming stream or explosin... we only got hissing gas. does the propane extinguish the round or is the air fuel mix wrong? any ideas? would incideary rounds work?

2. smartass

smartass TS Member

Please don't mess around with "assault rifles". Just touching one will make you want to murder your entire family. If you see one, run the other way before it blows up.

3. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

A long time ago I drove a propane bulk truck for a few months. The best thing that could have happened to you and your buddies is that the small bottle didn't blow up when you shot it. Get smart and heed my warning: Don't shoot that thing again, you just might get what you wish for. The largest explosion you had ever heard could have come out of that small bottle of propane. Did you know that the largest bomb our military uses is a propane bomb? It's really not something you want to play with. The small bottle that you have described could very easily blow a 1500 square foot house to toothpicks. I highly recommend that you do not try to make bombs out of propane. Dan

4. smartass

smartass TS Member

"The small bottle that you have described could very easily blow a 1500 square foot house to toothpicks."

Sure thing- that 100,000 BTU "bomb" could really blow up a house.

5. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

If you want to see what a 20 lbs. propane tank looks like after being hit with a 50 cal. go to www.autoweapons.com. click onto suppressors/silencers you will see a featured item the "silent 50"rifle. Then click to see this gun in action. Short video then while there watch the videos of the miniguns and other Knob Creek action.

6. 682LINY

682LINY Member

as a firefighter for 20 years,,,I have been up close and personal at a few propane fires,,,we still keep a few 20 pounders for fork lifts that went over 200 feet in the air when they blew,,,,worst pucker factor was pulling up to a reported house fire and finding a propane delivery truck attachedto two 200 lb tanks ,,,,AND the tank to truck conection leaking and burning,,,,two of us got wet stuff on the tanks to prevent tank failure,,,while my shooting buddy,,,who is a truck driver,,,unhooked the truck and noved it out,,,,CAN TOU SAY BIG BALLS,,,,we determined that the safty valves had blown,,,,the garage was burning,,,,one crew fought the garage fire,,,while we kept the tanks cool with out putting out the burn off,,,,better to have it burn than gather on the ground and than flashoff,,,a very nervious hour and a half,,,,,,,but on the fun side ,,,,we have been known to do a little nite shooting,,,,small propane tanks down range illuminated with road flares,,,,when hit good the tank releases the preasuer before the propane raeches the flare,,,,looks real pretty at nite

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Ok, It wasn't too long ago(still have that thrill seeking teenager in me)I threw a half full, one pound cylinder into a camp fire.

It laid on those hot coals for 15 minutes. I thought it would blow...but it didn't in the 15 minutes.

So....I grabbed the Stevens crack-shot(22 sgl shot), stood behind a tree at about 30yds and took aim.

Hit it on the first shot. That baby threw a fire ball about 20 feet in diameter. I felt the heat instantly. The flame went up about 60 ft.

This was on a sunny day, about 11:30 in the morning. There was no "ka-boom", just a big "wooosh".

A buddy of mine was in his "camp trailer". He ask want the hell was that, for it lit up the inside of his trailer.

I walked over to the campfire, expecting to see a tore up cylinder. It was lying in the fire, with just a bullet hole in it. It never moved.

Would it do the same thing the next time?, I wouldn't bet any money on it.

Might have to research it a little more(hehe)

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Cripes, I can't believe some of you guys.<br>
    <br>
    I've shot numerous propane bottles and tanks.<br>
    <br>
    The key is that you have to have an ignition source near the cylinder. A road flare about six inches in front works well.<br>
    <br>
    Shoot the cylinder, and the gas escapes, then ignites. A small camping size bottle will make a nice ten foot Nagasaki style mushrooming fireball. Even with a .22 rimfire.<br>
    <br>
    The bottles almost always are still standing upright. The bullet goes through both sides of the tank, the gas ignites when it reaches the flare. The bottles do not explode with low power rounds because the holes are small and the gas jets out. The flames cannot get inside the bottle due to gas pressure. The bottles have a heavy layer of frost on them due to rapid discharge of the gas.<br>
    <br>
    With a higher powered bullet, like a .223, the cylinder is blown open and the gas instantly discharges. The effect happens faster, and actually is a little less impressive because it isn't "metered" out of the smaller holes. There is no shrapnel because the tank is blown apart by the bullet. The bullet opens the tank up, not the gas.<br>
    <br>
    The big tanks are even more impressive. These are often used at some of the larger machinegun shoots, and are shown in many commercial videos.<br>
    <br>
    Can things go wrong? Yes. It's possible for a chunk of tank to be busted off by the bullet. The expanding gas can propel it. You need to do this with a respectful distance. The biggest problem is from nicking a tank. I shot a tank many years ago with a .22 LR and grazed the side, instead of hitting it dead center. When a tank is torn apart by a high power bullet, the tank instantly opens up. But a rimfire puts little holes in and the propane jets out. If the shot is dead center, there is a bullet hole on each side of the tank, equalizing pressure. This winged tank took off into the air. It sailed off to the right, about 20 feet off the ground, jetting liquid fire onto everything below, before it landed 30 feet away. If I was still shooting these tanks, I'd take an slab of steel and thread a piece of stock to fit the tank, and weld it to the top of the slab. Invert the tank and screw it down to keep it from going anywhere. The larger propane tanks at shoots are usually captured in some way to keep them from taking off. Often they are put inside a vehicle with an ignition source, and then the vehicle is racked with gunfire.<br>
    <br>
    Personally, I would not mess with the big tanks except at big shoots, where there is plenty of room, maybe a fire truck on standby, etc. And speaking of fires, common sense should already have turned on the light bulb that this is not something to be doing out in the woods, or in dry sagebrush, etc. The best place is a large plowed field, with only barren earth around. Don't be stupid and set the forest on fire.<br>
    <br>
    Can this stuff make a terrorist bomb? Not in this manner. You'd need several propane tanks with something to detonate them all at once, and it's just not worth the effort. A terrorist is going to do something far more spectacular, like use a large commercial tank or even hijack a propane tanker. And there are far better things to set off than propane anyway, like chlorine, for terrorism.

9. dabu

dabu TS Member

Has anyone taken the time to warn you, that if you are caught doing to which you refer that your ability to posses firearms again in the future, can and will be seriously hampered. I believe your committing a very serious offense, if not a felony.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Some men enjoy strange toys.

682LINY- Your story about the firefighter and the propane truck impressed me. I think the distinction between very brave and very dumb can get blurred with you and your fellow firefighters. Whichever you are, I do respect you.

Pat Ireland

11. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Pat,,,as for the rest of the story,,,,it happened in a comunity of very close homes,,,,If the truck blew ,,,at least 30 homes and ocupants would have been up in smoke,,,,along with the fire crews,,,it was not a place where we could back off and let it burn,,,altho that would have been done in a rual setting,,,this was the suburbs,,in the end we evacuated over 100 homes,,,,and yes we are the volenteer firemen that the local newspaper NEWSDAY on long island new york is constantly bad mouthing,,,,sometimes the only option is to attack head on,,,If you want to see the pic of the fireman who drove the truck uot look on TS faces page,,,three of us who were there 20 yrs ago are still shooting together,,,Being scared S***less together bring you closer together,,,as anyone in combat can tell you

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

When I was in training as a rookie Fire Fighter they showed us a movie of a Rail Road propane car explosion in or near Coal City, Illinois ... When it was all over they put the bodys and gear of 9 fire fighters in a two pound coffee can ... These Fire Fighters never knew what hit them and they were not close to where the explosion happened as a matter of fact they were attempting to get farther away from it when it blew up ... I have a lot of respect for anything thats marked "Propane" and do not think I could imagine me shooting holes in a propane tank just for kicks ... We were called one time to remove a home built "Napalm bomb" one of the neighborhood beautys got the idea to put together in his familys garage ... We transported it to a land fill and tossed it into a fire they had burning there ... You never heard such a loud whistle and explosion when that puppy went off, flames shot over 100 feet in the air and glass was flying all over the place ... The guys from the Bomb Squad had to stay there until it was disposed of and even they didn't believe the amount of noise and the fire it made when it went off ... You had to be there to appreciate how much damage something like that could possibly do if it had not been found and removed ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. Brian in Oregon

dabu, quote: "Has anyone taken the time to warn you, that if you are caught doing to which you refer that your ability to posses firearms again in the future, can and will be seriously hampered. I believe your committing a very serious offense, if not a felony."<br.
    <br.
    No, because in my state it ain't a felony. And it ain't a felony at some of the big machinegun shoots where these are routinely shot.<br>
    <br>
    As for the firefighting tales of propane tanks blowing up, there is a big difference between what we are doing in open, controlled areas, and one going off in a home or enclosed space, or a big propane tanker going off.

14. southpark

southpark TS Member

In Gears of War I shot propane tanks with a shotgun. They blew up and then burned a nice mild light to keep the Kryll away.

Don't know why it won't work for you.

15. Brian in Oregon

LOL - If it's in a video game, it must be true!

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

682LINY- My community is served very well by volunteer firefighters and members of a rescue squad. I appreciate them very much and I support them financially. They devote a significant part of their lives to helping and protecting me.

Pat Ireland

17. ChairborneRanger

ChairborneRanger Member

Brian in Oregon is "right on the money" relative to the use of a flare or other igniter next to the propane bottle.

As an aside, it's fun as all get out to shoot propane bottles----just use your head and do it safely-----you don't want anyone (including yourself) to get hurt or anyone's property to get damaged. I could be wrong, however, I doubt someone is going to arrest you for doing it----they might tell you to stop-----but arrest you and/or charge you with a felony? Certainly, anything is possible, though I wouldn't expect that to happen.

A few years back I went out with a group-----and on the way to the local gravel pit----they stopped at Wal-Mart and "cleaned out" Wally's entire stock of 1 lb. propane bottles. As the guy who bought them said to the cashier----(who was a bit incredulous as he put (IIRC) 43 propane bottles on her counter)-----"Yep, this is definitely going to be an extended camping trip."

18. smartass

smartass TS Member

You propane shooters should be ashamed of yourselves because this act is contributing to global warming. Algore told me so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shoot green propane taken with 223 will it explode

shooting propane with tracer

shooting propane with tracers