1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tracer wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by poacherjoe, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Has anyone been told that they cannot use these wads at the trapclubs they shoot at?They are designed to go out after 50 yards and the maker states no fire hazard.

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

As far as I know, they are not ATA legal.

3. poacherjoe

Forgive me for not mentioning that these are only being used in custer shoots ,not ATA sanctioned events!

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

poacherjoe

I've used these for practice and absolutely LOVE them at night. The problem is when you use them for the games. They are distracting and brite enough at night, that you cannot always see what happened to the target. It confuses the heck out of other shooters too. For that reason, we do not use them for the games. Practice is fine, unless there are some fire hazard warnings, or extremely dry conditions. I'd rather be on the safe side. They are bright enough to see them in the daytime. We do not use them in any ata shoots, competition, games, league, or money shoots. They are fine during practice, as long as nobody on the squad really objects, and they don't. They just want to know where to get them. Out of four clubs I frequent regularly, I have not had anyone tell me not to use them for practice. I always ask first, unless at my home clubs, where it's been established that they would be allowed within reasonable limitations. I've checked them out at the back fence between events. They really tell the story quite well. I donated a load of them to some of the local youth leagues. They seem to have helped some shooters dial it in.

Just for kicks, I shot several into a loose bale of very dry hay at about 15 - 20 yards. Not even a smolder or a wisp of smoke. Next time I'll try the same thing with a little lighter fluid. Did this in the sand pit we call a rifle range.

5. poacherjoe

Thanks Quack Shot : I spoke with Del who makes them and he has a video that shows the round being fired into some gasoline soaked hay with no fire being started.I like to use the round at night also and the other shooters don't complain.The old troll at the club see's things differently tho!Even if he saw the video I mentioned he would'nt change his view,I was just curious if anyone else had a similar problem with the tracers. Thanks PJ

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Sounds like the old troll is just jealous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

tracer wads