1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

tracer trap rounds

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sharp1, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharp1

Sharp1 Member

Looking for a functionL tracer trap round...any sugestions?
  2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Fioochi makes it.

All ammo makers use to, but have not seen any advertised for a long time.

Look to pay around $1.50 and more per round.

They are on line for piurchase, but will have a haz mat fee attached to shipping costs.

Watch out for dry grasses, brush and check with you club that you can use them.
  3. slayer

slayer Active Member

If I'm not mistaken isn't it just the wad that's the tracer? corrections welcome. Bill
  4. OkOk

OkOk Member

You can buy Fiocchi tracer round at 10 rounds for $18 per box.Its NOT incendery (does not burn) its the only thing you can buy. It is a cyalumd chemical round. Does burn, EPA approved, and most importantly is that you CANNOT see it in the daytime. I purchased 5 boxes a month ago, unforutantely a complete waste of money. So, if you shoot at night, it might be of value. Otherwise simply forget it.
  5. capvan

capvan Active Member

Well, I've got some that I purchased some time ago. Actually, what I purchased was the parts. It's a small magnesium (I think) pellet that goes into a hole in the wad (part of the purchase) and then you treat it like a normal wad, with a little less shot. I loaded them like a AA and they shot just fine.

The problem is that you are seeing the path of the wad, not necessarily the shot, so I soon figured it just wasn't worth it. But you could see them in daylight and you could see them real good at dusk.

Bought the parts here, so I'm surprised someone hasn't posted info. No haz mat fee, or at least I didn't pay one :). Would small magnesium pellets be cause for haz mat?

I've still got most of them left...

cap
  6. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

OkOk

So that explains it.

One can find the old tracers on line auctions and such.

Saw a box of 5 Winchesters for $18.00.
  7. steele

steele TS Member

Sharp1

I bought a 1000 from someone here several years go. The "pellet" inserted in the wad. When fired, the pellet dislodged from the wad & stayed in the pattern. Tests on a pattern paper indicated the pellet followed the pattern quite well. When they worked, it looked like a lazer hitting the bird. The problem was consistancy in the pellet igniting. The first batch I had only ignited 25% of the time. I contacted the manufacturer & they advised they had a bad lot & to return what I had left. They sent more that were worse than the first batch. I called with the problem & they told me I wasn't loading them right. They provided several recipes, with different powders & primers & they still didn't work for me, so I just put them on the shelf. If you would like what I have left, you are more than welcome to them. There is problably 500 or more.

Butch from Pgh
  8. redhawk

redhawk Member

Contact Albany Rifle and Pistol Club (arpc.info).They have the wads and ignition ball to load your own.
  9. Sharp1

Sharp1 Member

Thanks for the offer MUZ...I was hoping to hear the chemical glow wad had better results, I cant risk a fire. My kid is in a slump, I think he may be shooting low.
  10. dblell

dblell Member

muzzelblast
    if you just thouch the material end of the pellet in the wad with a drill of the correct size it will break the seal and the tracer will work more than 25% of the time. More like 75 %
    Lee
  11. 221

221 Well-Known Member

Buy or find someone with a DryFire system and train with that, and quit wasting your money and time shooting trinkets that can actually cause issues with your shooting.

The DryFire actually plots out your shot trajectory on screen and you know where your shooting. Guessing will just cause him to pick up more bad habits than he has already.

Or just buy him a release trigger.....that will even cure baldness.
  12. Byrrrdmann

Byrrrdmann Member

You have a PM. Anthony
  13. Chichay

Chichay Active Member

Have the same thing that Capvan has. Loading instructions came with the package. Seem to work better with the slower burning powders, e.g. Green Dot vs Red Dot. Chichay
  14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Well-Known Member

221 was let out for his daily 1 hr. of free time. Best ignore!

If you think he's shooting low why not simply add a few "trinkets" spacers if he has an adj. comb. If not try several layers of moleskin "more trinkets"!!
  15. steele

steele TS Member

The manufacturer advised using sand paper, then a small drill, then heating the pellets in the oven. Nothing worked. Then he advised me I'm not loading them right. At least I haven't seen anymore for sale on here. Butch from Pgh
  16. trapman69

trapman69 Member

Huge waste of money! I have most of a box left even at night there not that good. My 2 Cents
  17. steele

steele TS Member

The ones I had that lit were great. Even in daylight. They looked like a laser beam going to the target. They just had very poor ignition reliabilty.
    I was sort of hoping the company that sold them would come on here & provide an explanation.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.