1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

tracer shotshells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FLAKETM, Oct 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Who sells them, please?

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/tracer-ammo

3. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

thanks, so much.

4. PapCharlie

PapCharlie Member

anyone use the tracers???

5. tachyon

tachyon Member

We used to have some really good tracers which came in an orange plastic 25 shell case. Can't find them any more.

Bought some of the Fiocchi's and I was not impressed. Could not see them during the day at all. Under the lights or at dusk they were barely visible.

6. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

The new ones only work under poor light. Not much good under direct sunlight. the old Winchesters were really good but they have been out of production for years and you can't find them now.

7. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

I've shot a few,and wasn't impressed at all.The tracer material was barely visible,if at all. We thought if we waited until dusk to shoot more of them that we would be able to see them clearly.........this was not the case at all. Waste of time,and money in my opinion,but I didn't buy them so I didn't mind shooting them for the feller.

D.P.Reynolds

8. rwtii

rwtii Member

I bought some and when you open the box there is a disclaimer that they should be used in low light conditions. Sort of like, if you can see the target, these won't work. You know what? They are correct. One of the clubs I belong to shoots sporting clays under the lights down the trap line. You could see the tracers as they went over the trees a hundred yards out. It took that long for the chemical reaction. IMO save your money, they are a bust.

9. PapCharlie

PapCharlie Member

Thanks i tried to make some my self.. They did not work out very well. see video..

When you have time please go to YouTube and type in papcharlie (one word)
    See all 5 videos.. Just having fun shooting..
    Pap Charlie Tyler

http://youtu.be/yjs1yVq2xSs

10. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

We bought the old Winchester Tracers with the Magnesium ball inserted in the over the powder wad back in the late 60's for $2.00 a box. These worked pretty well in all light but were taken off the market because of the fires they caused when the tracer material was still on fire when it hit the ground.

I still have one of those boxes of tracers in my collection today.

Dave in SC

[​IMG]

11. jhoward

jhoward Member

I've still got nearly a flat of Tru-Tracer rounds from years ago. Not sure if they are still good or not, I haven't tried any of them in a long time. They were always fun to use in games like Annies, would really throw off the guys shooting behind you!

12. PapCharlie

PapCharlie Member

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid262.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fii98%2Fpapcharlie%2FMovies%2FHsDeadCenterFast.mp4">

These Did NOT Work out very well.
    Pap Charlie

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

PC,

How do you adjust your gun to fit?

14. PapCharlie

PapCharlie Member

Hell anyone can do that.. Just keep your head DOWN.. LOL

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid262.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fii98%2Fpapcharlie%2FMovies%2FHSCharlieRoseLaugh.mp4">

When you have time please go to YouTube and type in papcharlie (one word)
    See all 5 videos.. Just having fun shooting..
    Thanks for your business.
    Pap Charlie Tyler

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Will be buying some when I find them just for the duck blind. Its something to signal help if needed.

16. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

You might want to think twice about that one as they are loaded with LEAD shot and it would be a federal offense to have them in possession while waterfowl hunting. Better to get a flare gun. Bill

17. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

In the early 70's I had a friend shoot a tracer thru his 870 trap gun. After he shot it we all look up, no tracer, it had stuck in the end of the barrel and did a good job on cooking the end of the barrel. He had to buy a new barrel. Only exp. with them. Good luck.

Ed Fish
    Racine, WI

18. Aulovel5

Aulovel5 TS Member

Look up dragons breath shotgun shells they work very very well

19. lel4866

lel4866 Member

Today I bought a box of 10 Fiocchi Tracers for $20 at Gander Mountain. I went to the Durham County Wildlife club at dusk and used them to do some trap shooting. Here's what I found:

I thought I would see the shot cloud. What you actually see is a single dot of light. It seems accurate. When I hit, the dot went right through the center of the clay pieces. When I missed, it was obvious to the people standing 10 yards behind me where I missed...but not to me. It all happened too fast, and I was looking at the clay I missed. I kind of saw the light dot go "somewhere" but I certainly couldn't tell myself. BTW, the tracer piece goes much farther than the shot.

Bottom line for me: Too expensive to use regularly. You must use them with someone looking at you. But they do absolutely work. As to the advantage of knowing for certain after each shot exactly how you missed...well if I could afford to use them a lot, I would.

BTW, shooting at night with low light is great. You CAN'T see your barrel even if you wanted to. It forces you to only concentrate on the bird. It's all you can see. I think it's good for practice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.