1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Traackers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sharp1, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Sharp1

Sharp1 Member

Are the Traacker AA shells acceptable to the ATA? Can a person shoot registered with the Traackers shells? Thanks

GL

2. Avatar

Are there any rules about wads? If not,it should work. I don't think it would be a good idea, though, as you have fewer active pellets--a sizable minority stay with the wad.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The Trackers are not ATA legal for competition.

4. 548

548 Guest

Why not?

I assume you may be interpreting the following rule containing "tracer" language:

"2. Loads that contain nickel or copper coated shot or tracer loads. However, the use of lead, steel, bismuth, or other composite non- toxic shot materials shall be allowed. Any gun club allowing shot materials described in this Rule, other than lead, shall be required to cover or shield all hard surfaces on trap fields which are known, or reasonably believed, to cause pellet ricochet with material which will prevent the shot pellets from rebounding and/or ricocheting."

I would interpret that language to mean only tracer type shot is prohibited. You, know, combustible projectiles like the military uses. From what I see these AA Trackers are completely legal.

Legal:

[​IMG]

Illegal:

[​IMG]

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

These shells have not been on the market long enough for any organization to have had time to draft rules prohibiting them. It wouldn't surprise me if they are specifically banned from competition when the organizations review their rules after the target year is over, but as it stands now, I don't think it can be argued that they aren't allowed for any of the clay target sports. I also doubt any of the organizations have a mechanism in place to allow a mid-season rules change.

6. 548

548 Guest

"but as it stands now, I don't think it can be argued that they aren't allowed for any of the clay target sports."

Why not? I think I did a pretty good job of it. Don't you think Winchester looked into this? Don't you think the legality of the round is why they come in boxes of 25 rather than higher priced and more profitable boxes of 10?

A 1-1/8th ounce Traacker load equates to using one ounce loads since 1/8th ounce stays with the wad. I see no competitive advantage to using these rounds. They are a non-factor for the ATA.

7. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Price them & you won't want to shoot them!

Clyde

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

548- You are interpreting my post incorrectly.

9. 548

548 Guest

Ok, thanks. The general direction your post was going seemed to agree with me until you used aren't instead of are. My bad.

10. Sharp1

Sharp1 Member

I wonder if Winchester will sell the wad?

I can see these would be good for coaching..

GL